pvp season rewards

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
something i've been thinking about for a bit is pvp season rewards. progression rewards basically stop after 5000k. and then you only get 15 cp at 10k. why do we get 40 cp for a pve event, yet only 15 for pvp season progression? the difference between a 4 day commitment and a 30 day 11 event commitment should be better reflected in the pvp season progression rewards.

secondly, pvp season placement rewards. the difference between finishing 51st and 500th is two heroics and 50 hp?! there's a huge difference in the effort/time required to finish 51st than 500th. maybe rework these rewards to better reflect the amount of work people put into this. break down the tiers and pump up the rewards for finishing higher. there's really no incentive to do better with this rewards structure.

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seasons are overdue an update.

They updated and standardized events (PVE events have the same number of nodes, 3 easy, 3 hard, 2-4 star essential with a 5-star essential in SCL7+), made rewards comparable between 3-4 day events, eventually updated 7-day events to match the 3-4 days, and have even recently updated Bosses to give out the Essential 4* in personal progression, with the intent of running boss events more often (which they've done ever since that update).

We've had some tweaks to normal PVE and PVP events to add in Red-ISO. But nothing has been done about the Seasons themselves, and I bet the additions of Red-ISO and Support tokens to the season are not going to come alongside an actual overhaul.

I agree, a slight buff to season placement rewards, and a couple additions to progression rewards (these big dry gaps at the end of PVE progression work, but when you put in 10k over the course of a season, and after 4k points you only get rewards at 5k, 7.5k, and 10k, there's not a lot of incentive to link you along from one reward to another).
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you sure you want more season rewards.  On the story event side, people tend to prefer the 3/4 day events to the 7 day events because they don't have the same extended time commitment.  You're better off playing a 3 or 4 day event and skipping the next one than playing half of a 7 day event.

With the current reward structure for versus where the rewards are concentrated in the individual events rather than the season, you only need to commit to a 2.5 day event to get the prizes you want rather than 24 days.

It's nice getting something for the season, but it is essentially just icing on the cake.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvP Season simply adds up all your scores for all 10 PvPs and Shield Simulator. Then it gives you rewards for progression and placement. There's nothing special that you need to do. You play PvPs as usual. It's not like they have a special mode that is different from your usual PvP or Simulator.  Comparing PvE with PvP Season is not really suitable because PvE is a story event that lasts 3-7 days. It would be more appropriate to compare it with PvP Season if PvE season exist.

This is what will be added for Infinity Stone Versus seasons: 
    1) Placement rewards of up to 230 Riso and an Advanced Support token for individual
    2) Progression rewards added at the 4th, 11th, and 16th reward slot.
    3) Progression rewards added to Versus Simulator events at 5th, 17th, and 24th reward slot. 
    4) Infinity Stones will be available as Infinity Stone Versus Season rewards (full detail unknown as of now).

More rewards related to Support will be added, unless they decided to make changes.
    I suppose Infinity Stone Versus Season consists of 6 PvP seasons, beginning with Reality(?) Stone. That's like 6 months worth of seasons till End November.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    jredd said:
    something i've been thinking about for a bit is pvp season rewards. progression rewards basically stop after 5000k. and then you only get 15 cp at 10k. why do we get 40 cp for a pve event, yet only 15 for pvp season progression? the difference between a 4 day commitment and a 30 day 11 event commitment should be better reflected in the pvp season progression rewards.

secondly, pvp season placement rewards. the difference between finishing 51st and 500th is two heroics and 50 hp?! there's a huge difference in the effort/time required to finish 51st than 500th. maybe rework these rewards to better reflect the amount of work people put into this. break down the tiers and pump up the rewards for finishing higher. there's really no incentive to do better with this rewards structure.
    You are already compensated for your PvP play at the end of each event, I don't think it makes sense to view the season rewards as the only rewards you get for a month of play.

Personaly I think they should get rid of PvP Season and just roll everything into the events.  Someone that gets T5 in SCL9 in every single event in S2 or S5 might barely crack T100 for the season.  Season score is not reflective of your rank throughout the season, but playstyle and slice.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Personally just wish there was more HP and CP in the season ending reward.  That's really it.  Seems a little light considering the effort level.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:

You are already compensated for your PvP play at the end of each event, I don't think it makes sense to view the season rewards as the only rewards you get for a month of play.

Personaly I think they should get rid of PvP Season and just roll everything into the events.  Someone that gets T5 in SCL9 in every single event in S2 or S5 might barely crack T100 for the season.  Season score is not reflective of your rank throughout the season, but playstyle and slice.

Sure Season Placement is not a big deal because like the OP stated, finishing 51st and 500 does not make a difference, but for those that place in the T50, specifically T1-25 it's a big deal. For instance, I reached 2000 Shield Sim weeks ago but the Ironfist PVP ended and I was sitting at #6, so I had to play more Shield Sim to place T5. Regardless, I believe the point is that the effort to maintain a PVP season score spread out over a month is not properly rewarded.

• FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Fix the brackets per slice. Wether it’s expanding the rewards or lowering the amount of players per flip. Just do something. 
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    FokaiHI said:
    Fix the brackets per slice. Wether it’s expanding the rewards or lowering the amount of players per flip. Just do something. 
    I don't disagree with this in principle, but to do so, you would have to lock people into that slice for every event the entire season. I don't personally have a problem with that, but I think lots of players value the flexibilitiy to join other slices should they need to, due to schedule issues for their normal slice, or simply choosing a different slice for that midweek event that is offset by 12 hours. 

Sure Season Placement is not a big deal because like the OP stated, finishing 51st and 500 does not make a difference, but for those that place in the T50, specifically T1-25 it's a big deal. For instance, I reached 2000 Shield Sim weeks ago but the Ironfist PVP ended and I was sitting at #6, so I had to play more Shield Sim to place T5. Regardless, I believe the point is that the effort to maintain a PVP season score spread out over a month is not properly rewarded.

I don't mean to diminish your achievement with what I'm about to say, top 5 in a season is great, congrats. That said, the "effort" needed to maintain season top 5 is the same "effort" I would need simply to maintain season t50, because I play in s5, and you most likely play in slice 4 (just a guess). 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio said:

I don't mean to diminish your achievement with what I'm about to say, top 5 in a season is great, congrats. That said, the "effort" needed to maintain season top 5 is the same "effort" I would need simply to maintain season t50, because I play in s5, and you most likely play in slice 4 (just a guess). 

Nope. It matters more *when* you join a season. I finished T20 in S5 but because I joined the season about half way through (life busy the first 10 days of the season so couldn't play PvP) just getting 4100 points on the season was enough for that T20 finish (2 extra heroic 10 packs plus 5 CP) in a slacker bracket. I'm 99% sure Punisher was in my bracket this season because I recall seeing his name there when I was looking at nearby scores and recognizing his name from the Forums.

KGB
  • PenniesForEveryone
    jredd said:

My point (and Mohio's as well) is that your season score (amassed through playing not S5 clearly) is not necessarily reflective of how you perform against all other players that play in all other slices.  Each slice has it's own meta - people know better than to venture off to S2, and aren't fond of S5 either for example.  These metas have a huge impact on the points one can generate in any particular event.  But the season brackets aren't divided by these metas, and so people who play in the cupcake slices are able to score much higher than those who play in the more cutthroat slices.

Trust me, you really don't want season rewards to become attractive to the enforcers in S2 and S5 - they won't react by grilling and hopping all event and inflating scores there.  They'll react by spreading out to all the slices and suppressing scores everywhere.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    jredd said:

My point (and Mohio's as well) is that your season score (amassed through playing not S5 clearly) is not necessarily reflective of how you perform against all other players that play in all other slices.  Each slice has it's own meta - people know better than to venture off to S2, and aren't fond of S5 either for example.  These metas have a huge impact on the points one can generate in any particular event.  But the season brackets aren't divided by these metas, and so people who play in the cupcake slices are able to score much higher than those who play in the more cutthroat slices.

Trust me, you really don't want season rewards to become attractive to the enforcers in S2 and S5 - they won't react by grilling and hopping all event and inflating scores there.  They'll react by spreading out to all the slices and suppressing scores everywhere.
    At what point can we agree that this is weird that this happens? 

They will fix tapping because they don't want people playing too much for better rewards (which really only impacted those that could place top 10, maybe 20 anyway), but it is ok for people to target and suppress scores, and then impact way more people over the course of several pvp and the season?  

I mean, i get the thought behind battle chats.  It makes it easier to get the rewards, and the barrier to entry is relatively small. You just need to ask how to score higher in pvp and people will tell you where to go, and you are off to the races from there.  

But the fact that people proactively go out of their way to impact scores in an entire slice...i don't know man
  • PenniesForEveryone
    jredd said:

They will fix tapping because they don't want people playing too much for better rewards (which really only impacted those that could place top 10, maybe 20 anyway), but it is ok for people to target and suppress scores, and then impact way more people over the course of several pvp and the season?  

I mean, i get the thought behind battle chats.  It makes it easier to get the rewards, and the barrier to entry is relatively small. You just need to ask how to score higher in pvp and people will tell you where to go, and you are off to the races from there.  

But the fact that people proactively go out of their way to impact scores in an entire slice...i don't know man
    That's your perspective.  From my point of view it's weird that people in battle chats go out of their way to impact scores in an entire slice - inflating to points that require a ton of effort and expense (via shields) to compete.  I have 2 primary PvP goals: earn T5, and spend as little HP doing it as possible.  The most effective way I've found to do this is to work to keep scores low for an entire slice, so that a score of 1200 or so is generally good enough for T5.
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    It wouldnt kill or break the game if there was something between 5k and 7500.  Sometimes I'm just too blah to push on any more..but with some baby steps rewards I might...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018

mohio said:

Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought we were discussing Season Placement rewards but you both start replying with Slices. I don't care what Slice or SCL I choose. You won't like what I have to say but here I go. I am not a PVP player, I focus on PVE. I join the PVP Season when there's like 4 events left. It usually a fresh Season bracket. I play up-to 725 each event for the HP so my Shield is free and I always place T25-50 each event,. I rush to 2000 in Shield SIM, score about 4000-5000pts for the Season to finish it between T5-25. Once I finished #1. I miss out on a ton of PVP event rewards but I got tired of busting my butt each event only to be stuck in the T250 for the Season.
  • PenniesForEveryone

mohio said:

Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought we were discussing Season Placement rewards but you both start replying with Slices. I don't care what Slice or SCL I choose. You won't like what I have to say but here I go. I am not a PVP player, I focus on PVE. I join the PVP Season when there's like 4 events left. It usually a fresh Season bracket. I play up-to 725 each event for the HP so my Shield is free and I always place T25-50 each event,. I rush to 2000 in Shield SIM, score about 4000-5000pts for the Season to finish it between T5-25. Once I finished #1. I miss out on a ton of PVP event rewards but I got tired of busting my butt each event only to be stuck in the T250 for the Season.
    This is the crux of this issue for me.  All of the points you earn in a PvP season (except for Sim) are regulated by the slice you choose for each individual event.  In terms of season placement this severely handicaps those who play in the lower scoring slices (and also to your point those who start from Day 1.)  Up until this point it hasn't really mattered much because the season placement rewards aren't worth the HP you spend to get them.  But if they start making those rewards more attractive (e.g. making them the only place support tokens are earned...) there will be backlash.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    jredd said:

That's your perspective.  From my point of view it's weird that people in battle chats go out of their way to impact scores in an entire slice - inflating to points that require a ton of effort and expense (via shields) to compete.  I have 2 primary PvP goals: earn T5, and spend as little HP doing it as possible.  The most effective way I've found to do this is to work to keep scores low for an entire slice, so that a score of 1200 or so is generally good enough for T5.
    no, my perspective isn't that i endorse BC, just i understand the thought behind them.  Most things about PVP are broke or breaking.  just like with most other issues people have with this game, there are several ideas that would fix it that they seem oblivious to, or flat out don't want to, put into motion.  i could go on, but after reading the season updates, i'm pretty broken down and will just shrug and go on, as usual