PSA: New Supports Sub-Forum (4/24/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

With the arrival of Supports, we've seen a lot of discussions pop up, with players talking about everything from strategies and equipment choices to Red Iso-8 level requirements and ability statistics. While it's awesome to see all the buzz surrounding this new feature, it can certainly make the General Discussion section a bit crowded.

In light of this, we've gone ahead and created a brand new Supports sub-forum! Similar to the Character Discussion sub-forum, this will be the primary location for players to actively discuss ideas and brainstorm new ways of implementing Supports into your roster. We'll also be moving all of the previously created Supports discussions over to that section, and leaving a redirect link in General Discussion.

In addition, we will be gradually uploading all of the Supports stats and numbers to the Supports Details sub-category within this sub-forum. It's a lot of information to compile and organize though, so initially we will just be providing all the data in a rather raw format. Once we've posted everything though, we will then start going back through and cleaning it up to make it look real nice and tidy.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Supports feature!

Comments

• Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Thank you for putting up the numbers! Much appreciated! 

Now if only I could get a support token more than once a month...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the numbers breakdown,  but could you add one more thing?  Red iso cost
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    And Victorville California thought it had a tumbleweed problem 83
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know Brigby has to put a positive spin on his comments but I think the 'buzz' is over.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    The stats are useful since it will take forever to actually level them to 250
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing I wonder about why are you giving us lvl 50 stats for rank 2,3,4,5 perks, lvl 100 stats for rank 3,4,5 and so on. Seems like a waste and it make the data harder to read. 
    I'm a little confused by what you mean?

all that happens when you get the next rank cover is the ability to level up your support 50 more levels.

and the levels are the same between ranks.  You don't gain or lose levels when you change rank and the riso cost doesn't change between ranks
  • Phumade

Honestly you probably won't need too.  I looked at the level 100 bonuses,  its more than enough to let 5* rosters punch up another 10-15 champ levels.  The ability to customize who tanks which colors is a big change in 5* meta.  A lot of the balance issues in the 5* tier revolve around who tanks what colors and how long do they have to be left exposed as the meat shield.

Go look at the match damage numbers between a 450 and 460 5* star.  You'll see the gap's actually not that big, and the boosts let you play different combos than what would normally be played.

the damage boosts alone ensure that  you can assign a red/green damage boost to phx and have her tank red green over a 1/2 health thor.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:

Honestly you probably won't need too.  I looked at the level 100 bonuses,  its more than enough to let 5* rosters punch up another 10-15 champ levels.  The ability to customize who tanks which colors is a big change in 5* meta.  A lot of the balance issues in the 5* tier revolve around who tanks what colors and how long do they have to be left exposed as the meat shield.

Go look at the match damage numbers between a 450 and 460 5* star.  You'll see the gap's actually not that big, and the boosts let you play different combos than what would normally be played.

the damage boosts alone ensure that  you can assign a red/green damage boost to phx and have her tank red green over a 1/2 health thor.
    That's only going to work for certain combos.
    Good luck getting a 450 Phoenix to tank over a 475+ Thor.
  • Phumade
    25 champ levels is a lot to overcome,  but 10-15 levels is realistic.  Ultimately,  it will just come down situation and circumstances.

I could certainly see someone putting supports on 3* hulk,  just so he tanks colors over faster 4* strike generators.
  • LeaveMyCookies
    LeaveMyCookies Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Phumade said:
    One thing I wonder about why are you giving us lvl 50 stats for rank 2,3,4,5 perks, lvl 100 stats for rank 3,4,5 and so on. Seems like a waste and it make the data harder to read. 
    I'm a little confused by what you mean?

all that happens when you get the next rank cover is the ability to level up your support 50 more levels.

and the levels are the same between ranks.  You don't gain or lose levels when you change rank and the riso cost doesn't change between ranks
    Yeah that was a brain fart from my side, I already removed that shame from the post
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not going to lie... I put I think it was the Quinjet on Wasp back when she was boosted, used her for one event and never switched it.  The others remained unassigned until just now.

They are so "meh" at low levels, so rare and near impossible to build up (with tons more coming), and really will not make a difference in my clear times, that I sort of just forget they exist.

Moving these forgotten aspects of the game (to me) to a forgotten place on the forum (to me) seems fitting.

The more I think about it the more sad I am that this is the great new feature that resulted in no rebalanaces, the steam UI change, bugs to go unchecked and many other much requested or simply better quality of life improvements to go unattended to.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, when the "chance of starting Yellow AP" Support (Avengers Tower, IIRC?) goes off with America Chavez, it can get her to the crits WITH bonus damage a few rounds earlier.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I got super lucky on a vault pull for one of the recent PVE events and got a Lv 3 Avengers Tower. From the free support tokens they gave us, and I got Lv 2 Quad Blasters. These, as well as the ones that have Rank 1/Synergy perks that aren't based on chance, I've decided to screw around with. 

Avengers Tower, Rank 3, Lv. 20 - The synergy perk, and perks 1-2 are all % chance based. Rank 3 however creates a protect tile with every match 4. Since the Synergy goes to Iron Man, and I already barely use IM40 anymore as is, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to give it to him. 

Element Guns, Rank 2, Lv. 15 - Synergy Perk and Perk 1 are % chance based. Perk 2 increases base yellow match damage. Since the synergy applies to either Star Lord, and I frequently use 5-Lord just for easy node clears with Thanos, the match damage will certainly help. I've tried on 4-Lord as well since he's boosted, with mixed results. Since I fire 4-Lord's abilities more frequently than not, I usually get at least 1 attack tile over the course of the match from Perk 1. I've only gotten the Synergy perk to work a few times, but once I had 4-Lord/Drax/R&G, and it gave me 9 red AP to start the match. Drax downed someone before I even got to make my first match. 

The Blackbird, Rank 1, Lv. 10 - Perk 1 isn't chance-based, just requires you to have some special tiles out and make a match-5. With this being exclusively for X-Men, Nightcrawler and PX were no-brainers. However since PX also creates said special tiles, I've given it to him. 

The Milano, Rank 1, Lv. 10 - Perk 1 is chance-based, however the synergy perk with R&G is not. Since I practically never fire R&G's abilties Perk 1 isn't doing much for me, but that 3-turn CD that's automatically created R&G's presence alone for the synergy perk has been very nice. When you run R&G with another guardian, the CD generally does about 2.5 - 2.7K of damage. 

Hydra Henchmen, Rank 1, Lv. 1 - Perk 1 is chance-based, so doesn't get me much. I would say it's collecting dust right now, but you can't leave it unequipped, so it's just forgotten about on Vulture. It's actually managed to proc a few times here and there, but nothing game-changing. 

Vintage Shield, Rank 1, Lv. 1 - The Perk 1 additional health is straight up negligible, and the synergy perk with Captain America requires a fair amount of setup. Would say this one is collecting dust too, but tutorial Nick Fury made me put it on my Gambit and  just never moved it lol. 

I'm certainly waiting for stronger supports before I really start forming serious strategies with them like most people, but I'm definitely just screwing around with them for fun in the meantime. Don't see in the sense in crossing your arms and turning your nose up at something that has no drawbacks and costs you nothing to throw on someone for fun. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Please keep all comments on the topic of feedback or suggestions for the Supports sub-forum section. If you wish to discuss the Supports themselves, please start or add to a discussion in that sub-forum. Thanks! 
  • Phumade
    Hmmm, a link to said subforum would have been a convenient bit to include in this announcement.

No, it's not hard to navigate over there, but to encourage new behavior, you gotta make it as easy as possible.
    Right?  Its the same reason people don't like posting in the other forums.  Its inconvienent to have to root around to find the various sub forums.

Its only a few clicks away,  but those clicks are like navigating from one continent to another in Internet terms (in terms of holding attention).  3 clicks and I'm back focusing on spreadsheets and reports.