Minimum Mission Points - Plan Moving Forward (4/19/18)

Options
13»

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Jomu5 said:
    For those of us who don't follow things to closely; how will this affect optimal play?

Is it still 4 clears at event open and 3 clears at end?
    Yes.  
    To be pedantic, that is the new optimal way to play: tapping could easily beat that strategy, so it wasn't optimal before  this change.
    Wrong.  This was always the optimal play since they changed to 24hr refreshes until tapping was mainstream.  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Jomu5 said:
    For those of us who don't follow things to closely; how will this affect optimal play?

Yes.  
    To be pedantic, that is the new optimal way to play: tapping could easily beat that strategy, so it wasn't optimal before  this change.
    Wrong.  This was always the optimal play since they changed to 24hr refreshes until tapping was mainstream.  
    If something generates more points than what you call optimal how can it be optimal? Optimal means best or most favorable. Tapping was the optimal strategy, now it is not.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Optimal apparently has different definitions to some, thats alright.. Whatever you wanna call it, lets just enjoy it, ok?
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This wasn't an issue I particularly cared about. But yay, I guess.
  • Droflew
    Droflew Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Could someone please explain what "Tapping" is and how it benefited play?  personally I have moted no difference but judging by the prior posts I may have been missing a trick? Thanks in advance: obviously a "newbie" question? 
  • tiomono
    Options
    Droflew said:
    Could someone please explain what "Tapping" is and how it benefited play?  personally I have moted no difference but judging by the prior posts I may have been missing a trick? Thanks in advance: obviously a "newbie" question? 
    Well it's no longer a thing. Basically someone would continually hit a certain node in a story event a ridiculous amount of times to get a higher score. 
  • Droflew
    Droflew Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks tiomono: Iv'e been playing along time and never had that sought of luck. I guess my fingers weren't cut out for "tapping" :wink:
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Droflew said:
    Thanks tiomono: Iv'e been playing along time and never had that sought of luck. I guess my fingers weren't cut out for "tapping" :wink:

It basically involved playing the same node over and over for literally several hours at 4 points per win.

My opinion was that anyone who wanted to do that deserved first place.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,957 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Jomu5 said:

Yes.  
    A failure in pedantry.

An optimized solution is one that produces the highest return on resources invested.

Tapping could produce more points, yes, but at a greater cost in time spent. 

With that possibility excised, now the optimal solution is also the maximal solution in regards to points production.

What an elegant state of being.
    Depends on how you view that elegant state of being.

As someone who can't play optimally due to time slices I'd prefer a different measurement of optimal.

Simply add up the time taken for a battle (from time gems drop to time victory banner appears). Shortest time wins (all times for all the required 5 clears of all nodes with time penalties for nodes not cleared). Then everyone can fairly have chance without needing to play on some optimized refresh schedule.

KGB
  • tiomono
    Options
    jamesh said:
    Jomu5 said:

Yes.  
    A failure in pedantry.

An optimized solution is one that produces the highest return on resources invested.

Tapping could produce more points, yes, but at a greater cost in time spent. 

With that possibility excised, now the optimal solution is also the maximal solution in regards to points production.

What an elegant state of being.
    That's assuming that a person tapping and one not tapping have the same value placed on time and effort. So it simply came down to who was able to get more points. Every player has different availability and priorities. So a perceived value of something for one player could be totally different for another.

Regardless, tapping in its previous state is gone. So hooray for the top 10% or less that this actually affected. For me I see no difference at all, but can clearly see it is a favorable change for the players that fight for top spots.