Standard Rotation

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
I keep seeing people commenting that the Amonkhet block will no longer be standard once Dominaria comes out.

The problem is, I do not remember seeing that confirmed.  

Doing so would make this the second standard rotation this year (this year being only 4 months old), and would severely cripple everyone's collection.  Paper MTG standard does not rotate until the fall, and I had assumed that we would be following that.

@Brigby can you confirm what will happen to Standard when Dominaria comes out?  Just for clarity while we discuss the next set and event strategies and stuff.

Comments

• Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I thought they would have been lumped together like the energize and SOI cards.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    They haven't said anything about rotation that I've seen either. However treating the sets going forward as one-in one-out rotation would make the most sense considering there is no concrete number of sets that will be appearing in a block going forward, and it'll not be too big a deal to remove Amonkhet when Dominaria launches, but leave Hour of Devastation as the mechanics of the two sets, apart from cycling, didn't really overlap that much, and they made Hour of Devastation a large set release in Puzzle Quest as opposed to a supplementary add-on to Amonkhet like they did with Aether Revolt and Eldritch Moon.

They've already shown they aren't matching the paper rotation of the cards as the Kaladesh block is currently still legal in Standard, and doing several rotations a year isn't as big of a deal in this format as it is in paper magic, if anything its actually better as it means that people don't lose large chunks of their collection all at once, but rather smaller sections more regularly, and more predictably.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would also appreciate some clarity on the plans for card rotation.  I'm definitely opposed to rotating AKH without rotating HOU; cycling is not the only mechanic they share.  They should be kept as a unit, as should XLN/RIX.  My hope is that AKH/HOU will remain in standard through DOM's lifespan, because three sets that we've only had a couple short months to build up is going to lead to a really unbalanced Standard environment that will heavily favor players who pay cash for cards (or who had the luxury of saving a ton of crystals in their accounts before XLN dropped).

I'm even more interested to hear the devs' plans for Core 19.  Will this be treated as a normal expansion, or will it replace Origins as the "core" set in Standard?  I don't want to burn resources on Origins if I'm only going to have it in Standard for another few months.

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hope, and expect, that AKH and HOU will remain in the game with the release of DOM. I expect them both to rotate with the set after DOM which I hope is M19. I can't imagine they skip M19 since that would leave them with only three sets for the year as opposed to the usual four. I also don't see them replacing ORI with M19 as the "core" set of this game since there probably won't be much overlap in cards printed in paper M19 and the paper sets that were used to make all of the sets in this game.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gabrosin said:
    I would also appreciate some clarity on the plans for card rotation.  I'm definitely opposed to rotating AKH without rotating HOU; cycling is not the only mechanic they share.  They should be kept as a unit, as should XLN/RIX. 
    Apart from aftermath, I'm not sure what mechanics the two sets share.... Embalm/eternalize is close to the same but different. But HOU had as mechanics: aftermath, eternalize, afflict, cycling, and deserts matter. AKH had exert, embalm, aftermath, cycling, -1/-1 counters. I'm hard pressed to think people won't be running Resilient Khenra or Farm//Market without Amonkhet cards.

Ixalan and Rivals, though, I will agree do rely more on each other than Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation do, in my opinion. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ixalan and Rivals rely on each other not just in terms of cards but because of the events. We need both set to make tribal vibal. I mean triable viable.
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I wouldn’t think it’s going drop out of Rotation as would be weird with no Amonkhet but still Hour as you combine cards from the 2 sets I would think they will drop the 2 sets if they bring the Core 2019 in July
  • ElimGarak
    ElimGarak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    This is really an important question.
    Can we get this cleared up please?
    @Brigby
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    and everyones' decks suddenly become either dinosaurs, pirates, or a random assortment of Origins cards.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    and everyones' decks suddenly become either dinosaurs, pirates, or a random assortment of Origins cards.
    Infinite Ghialtas and Gaias as far as the eye can see.   
    Starfields twinkling in the skies.  
    Lannery raiding up and down the coast
    And chaos in Etali's eyes

Death to all who face the dragon's stare
    And no support against the pirate queen
    Fight against a new face, colorless and bland
    glimmering with metallic sheen
    httpsipinimgcomoriginals5996cd5996cd6f66280adfb87bd13402e24557jpg
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks Brigby!