Is it possible to top 5 in story mode without tapping ?

Take_A_Pill
Take_A_Pill Posts: 6 Just Dropped In

As titled, what is your experience and expectation ? Omit late bracket, is it doable ?

For me, sadly the answer is no.

Comments

• T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I have on SCL7 and 8.  The only time I ever got top 5 in SCL9 was when the no tapping test was run.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, it is.  But, you have to be near flawless in your execution.  You cannot miss a thing and you need to end/start right on time.  I finished T5 in the latest Jubilee in SCL8 without doing any tapping.  But, it did require me to set alarms and do everything at the perfect time.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah. Hitting top 5 in itself isn't too difficult - provided you're realistic about your roster / roster speed, that is. And play optimally. 

Whether you can do it at the moment without tapping however... is basically a game of luck/chance, and getting in a bracket without other tappers. 

Anecdotally, I find CL8 is the least tappy.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol If you eliminate tapping, the advantage will goto the biggest / strongest rosters.  Really things like optimal clear strategies will only sort players of similar roster strength.  Optimal clear wont make a 4* roster competitive with a 5* roster. 

You really want to have to have decent 5* roster to be competitive for t5 placements in scl 8/9.  But high level 4* rosters are definitely competitve for T5 in scl7/8 depending on how well they adhere to optimal.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    It is absolutely possible. Different brackets and different slices have varying numbers of tappers. I have been scl9, slice 1, bracket 2 and depending the event there could be one tapper or 6-7. It also depends on the prizes, whether it’s on the weekend, etc.

To Phumade’s point, if you’re a 4* roster in cl9 it would be tough for you to T5 at all. Which makes sense.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    No tapping in SCL 6, but I do see 4* players playing in SCL 6. 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    No tapping in SCL 6, but I do see 4* players playing in SCL 6. 
    If they don’t have the 5E, I hear that 4*’s don’t have a chance of high placement in SCL’s 7/8/9.  I can’t personally vouch for how true that is, but it’s been said around the forum in the past.

That said, I’ve seen other 4* players actively trying for placement in SCL 3 when I dropped there for a “PVE vacation”, so who knows what motivates people...  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    That's could be right. I went to SCL 7 without 5* and got top 50 or top 100.  That is doing all 7 or 8 optimal clear.

I think they went down to SCL 3 to get specific 2* covers for farming. SCL 3 gives the maximum number of 2* in a PvE. 2 from progression and 3 from placement. SCL 2 and 4 give  3-4.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    It is possible to t5 without tapping in scl 9 on a fresh from the go bracket as long as you have a strong thanos and champed/boosted 5*...assuming there are less than 5 tappers in the bracket. 2 of the top 5 in my bracket (me being one) for FFW were not tappers and our bracket started at the event's start in s4. 

For reference, I was 5th and my score was 115750.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's could be right. I went to SCL 7 without 5* and got top 50 or top 100.  That is doing all 7 or 8 optimal clear.

I think they went down to SCL 3 to get specific 2* covers for farming. SCL 3 gives the maximum number of 2* in a PvE. 2 from progression and 3 from placement. SCL 2 and 4 give  3-4.
    Good to know. I've considered doing that a couple of times when I was really having trouble re-covering a 2* and had a ton of covers on the vine, but I haven't yet.
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I was the other in Ducky's bracket.  For contrast, my last SCL9 bracket had well over ten tappers, worst one I've ever been in.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Getting top placement means you need to be crazier than the other players in the bracket. If you want top 10 PvE placement, you need to out-crazy 99% of the other players. If there are a lot of tappers in the bracket the only way to outcrazy them is to tap even harder....
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    It's possible but it's largely out of your hands.  Even if you play perfectly - fastest possible team, clear order, timing - absolutely perfect.  You can still get beat out if there are 5 tappers in your bracket.

Most tappers will be in the first bracket.  If you can wait until the first or maybe first and second brackets flip you might have a better shot at getting a tapper-less bracket.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, no.  Not even with tapping.

There's a few people who have the combination of the best rosters, time flexibility to hit start/end grinds, and enough experience to do it fast.  I'm not one of those people.  If you are one of those people who lose to tappers - welcome to my world.  You don't have the time to tap all day to compete with them.  I don't have the flexibility to compete with you.  The most dedicated players get the best rewards, and it's really that simple.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,517 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I've been playing this game for about 3 years and have finished in the t5 a grand total of twice. And one of those shouldn't really count because the game servers crashed the second after I finished a non-optimized final clear, which prevented everyone who was playing optimally from finishing.

Of course, since SCL's were released, I've been competing at the highest level possible, and pretty much with a roster that SHOULDN'T t5 against that competition. So, I guess don't go by me.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Genuinely don't get the tapping complaints, I T5 in 1.9 fairly regularly - normally 1st flip within the 1st hour or so
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    No I clear every node ever event and I am in the top 80 in cl 9.  I am happy with that but without tapping it is almost impossible to go higher.  This is a non issue for me if people have that much time to waste more power to them.  
  • VoltaicDuke
    VoltaicDuke Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I t5 in scl8 all the time thanks to Th5nos and Th5r.  Missing the top prize to tappers sucks though especially when you know they are much slower than you.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    yes I could increase speed and optimize things and that would increase my rank.  I am giving the example of somebody who just clears all the nodes no speed run no optimization just clear low to high finish 6 move on to next.  That gets me to between 50-80 depending on event in cl9.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree - it is highly unlikely you are being tapped out by 70+ people.  In CL9 I usually clear to green checks (except 5*E, which I often only clear to 4), but I don't do my initial clears until ~ 10 hours into the sub.  That's almost always good for T50, sometimes T20.  I'm also usually in a slacker bracket, though.  I choose my slice based on the ability to clear the end, not start the beginning, so I'm usually 2-4 brackets past the initial one.

If you can't play optimal anyways, try varying your slice and/or land in a much later bracket.  You may have better luck without having to change anything about your schedule.