Remove Hazard Tiles

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
The only match-3 game I've ever played which doesn't have gimmicky environmental tiles (bombs, unmovable blocks, whatever) is Marvel Puzzle Quest. The only match-3 game I've played for more than a week is Marvel Puzzle Quest.

See any correlation here?

So far these things are limited (I think?) to the new Wakanda event. I don't like to play in the Wakanda event. It's not an enjoyable event.

Maybe there are those who think these hazard tiles are a wonderful new layer of strategy which add fun and challenge. I think they're more like an annoying third person intruding on a game of chess by knocking pieces over while my opponent and I try to play.

Comments

• Maximus7481
    Maximus7481 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm with you. Hazard tiles just increase the level of randomness to the game. Even if I play really well, the randomised Wakanda explosives will wipe out my team. Honestly just feels like a push for people to spend coins on health packs.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    The only match-3 game I've ever played which doesn't have gimmicky environmental tiles (bombs, unmovable blocks, whatever) is Marvel Puzzle Quest. The only match-3 game I've played for more than a week is Marvel Puzzle Quest.

So far these things are limited (I think?) to the new Wakanda event. I don't like to play in the Wakanda event. It's not an enjoyable event.

Maybe there are those who think these hazard tiles are a wonderful new layer of strategy which add fun and challenge. I think they're more like an annoying third person intruding on a game of chess by knocking pieces over while my opponent and I try to play.
    The guardians of the galaxy event has them, too, as do some of the boss events (Apocalypse and Ultron come to mind).

I agree with you though.  While the boss ones feel natural and part of the event, the Wakanda ones feel cheap, however, the special tiles after the first sub are useful and can be used to your advantage.  They have, however, nerfed the first sub's special tiles (exploding tech) after the first run of the event (Now the explode and hurt the toon in front for both teams, ignoring all protect tiles.  The first run they hit your and only your entire team) so they aren't as bad as they used to be.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:

Yep. The correlation is that you don't like something, so you don't play it. That sounds about right.

However, you are absolutely correct that some of us really enjoy this dynamic new element and look forward to these events. There were quite a few vociferous defenders of them the first time they appeared, and the resulting threads led to a lot of really interesting strategy discussions. To me, the brainstorming alone was more than worth any annoyance or lost health packs the environmental tiles might have caused.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't mind them in the nodes where I can choose my team freely, but in the Loaner nodes, they can become a real pain in the tinykitty, especially in the second Sub. There should at least be a restriction that one of the Required characters has to be good at dealing with Protect tiles whenever this event runs ;)
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am very much against these tiles. I am all for trying new things and trying to add new puzzle elements to the game... but these are terrible. I especially hate that when a tile expires, any cascade that follows when the tile disappears... only hurts your team. Doesn’t seem neutral to me
  • Droflew
    Droflew Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Options
     Get rid off them they add no value to gameplay and make playing a chore! So much for strategizing......... 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or at least make them truly neutral, because currently they still ALL favor the AI team. "Neutral" tiles that fall on our turn should NOT immediately count down at the start of the AI's very next turn but should count down at the start of OUR next turn.

When they ONLY count down on the AI's turn, they're NOT NEUTRAL.
  • gottahandittocoulson
    gottahandittocoulson Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'd be okay with them if they counted down for both teams, otherwise the AI's just getting in free punches.