Whats Your Favorite Color?

Options
2»

Comments

• Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Last time I was asked this question I almost found myself in the Gorge of Eternal Peril. Never again!  ;)

I will say I'm partial to blue, black or white, though...
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    White
    White because when I was struggling in the beginning I randomly got nothing but white rares from the boosters that were given from events.. My first rare was Glory Bound Initiate. White carried me until I could get TG crystals to boost myself up.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Green
    What a great first rare!  Mine was Sanctifier of Souls.  Had it in almost every white deck until it rotated out.
  • sjechua
    sjechua Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Blue
    Based on this poll, how about giving us Tamiyo?
    whaddya think Oktagon? @Brigby
     ;) 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blue
    I said blue.  Which is interesting to me since back when I played paper I tended to build black/green.

In this game I lean more toward control builds and blue tends to be a part of those (often in multicolored context).
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Green
    Even my favourite is Blue in paper I like green in PQ
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Blue
    Before Ixalan white was my favorite. After Ixalan, blue is my favorite (standard). White lacks viable creatures post Ixalan. 
    @Dodecapod I think blue and red benefited the most in new updates. The most powerful cards in standard right now are red/blue.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    White
    White vampires are a force to be reckoned with. I feel like they really captured the idea of white weenies flooding the board.
  • Dodecapod
    Dodecapod Posts: 96 Match Maker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Red
    MADAFAKA said:
    Before Ixalan white was my favorite. After Ixalan, blue is my favorite (standard). White lacks viable creatures post Ixalan. 
    @Dodecapod I think blue and red benefited the most in new updates. The most powerful cards in standard right now are red/blue.
    Hmm, interesting assessment; I should probably have qualified that a big part of my viewing red as the weakest color comes from the lack of key cycling cards (e.g. green has Monitor, white has Cast Out, black has Faith, and blue has the kitchen sink), which in a competitive sense is a non-starter, but it's also true that Ixalan block has some very powerful red creatures like Etali, Tilonalli's Skinshifter, and Lannery Storm, among others, and it has uncharacteristically strong mana-fixing in Zacama and Storm the Vault.  Maybe it's a little too broad of a generalization, but for the most part, any non-cycling AKH/HOU options don't even register in the evaluation of that block's color comparisons for me, since no other strategy in Standard seems likely to be able to compete on par with cycling in the long run as long as AKH remains legal.

Looking ahead to the post-AKH environment, I'm still a little iffy on the lack of a reliable single-target removal spell to replace Unlicensed Disintegration or Inner Struggle from older sets, and traditionally red always lags behind at least 3 other colors (white being the exception) in terms of card advantage, but maybe Dominaria will help fill in those gaps a little, and either way it'll be fun to see what new possibilities open up once AKH rotates out of Standard.  I'd love to see a resurgence of red-focused decks amidst the seeming sea of Kiora and Bolas strategies inundating the landscape right now, although perhaps for the sake of everyone's sanity any potential comeback should still fall a bit short of the SOI block Olivia/GRB/Ulrich days.

As for blue, I agree completely; even beyond having the best cycling tools and cards like Pull from Tomorrow (which is almost as strong), my view of where it stands in Ixalan begins and ends with River's Rebuke, although regaining unconditional bounce spells in the 5-6 mana range for the first time in about 2 years and getting a couple of the best transforming supports (Azcanta and Storm the Vault) don't exactly hurt either.  As a fervently anti-blue player in paper, it pains me to admit it, but I don't see blue's relative dominance diminishing any time soon, since card advantage wins games and blue typically has that in spades for next to no mana investment in this game.

Out of curiosity, how would you evaluate the best options in red and blue right now, where do you see the other colors falling?
  • Lars
    Lars Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Blue
    Kinesia said:
    This seems relevant if people want more to think about! https://medium.com/s/story/the-mtg-color-wheel-c9700a7cf36d
    I don't find the authors description of green entirely accurate, yes harmony is important to green but not essential to green. Strength is essential whether in numbers (white) or in raw physical ability (red), Destiny is the most essential thing in green ultimately though.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    White
    I'm a control player so I love white -- for a long time it was red and blue, but Elspeth and the AKH and HOU sets changed that. 

Ask me again when Standard rotates though, I might swing back to blue, XLN and RIX are fun with it.