classic legends token

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
would anyone else want to see a classic legends token? i realize i could use cp to open packs. but i don't... tokens would be another way to help nab some covers for the older 5*

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I like opening classic with cp. Cheaper! 
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    If they introduce new reward tiers that give Classic tokens, that'd be cool, but if they replace or rework existing reward tiers with Classic tokens I wouldn't support that. Classic has got to the point where it's practically impossible to max cover any 5-stars with them. At this point I'm opening Latest exclusively.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I usually open the classics, as they're cheaper. I only really spend the 25CP to try and get a cover for a new 5*. I'm still deep into 4* territory as I'm trying to champ as many as I can (44 currently), so 5*s aren't a massive focus for me at the moment. One thing I'd like them to do though is have Heroic tokens give you a 3* minimum rather than a 2*
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No.

I haven't drawn from Classics in a year, don't force me to.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only if it got restructured significantly. If it was a token that, say, drew from a pool of 12 classic 4* and 3 classic 5*, and rotated every season, there might be some interest. But if it was just a token to pull from Classic Legends as it stands, no. The only advantage to Classic Legends as it stands is that they're cheaper, and LTs aren't given out often enough for there to be a good way to give out CLTs 25% more often without it feeling like just more dilution.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I agree that I would not want to see this as a new token or replacement to existing token.

I've always thought that the Legends tokens should let you choose which one to pull from.  If you want to pull from Classics instead of Latest with your LTs, why not?  Alternatively replace all the LTs with 25 CP then people can choose what they want with no structural changes to the game. 

For new players pulling Classics is probably more useful to get to a point where they have at least one of 5* for 5E nodes.  Back when I was a newer player still fighting through getting early covers for 4* and 5* (before 5E was a thing) and having a huge uphill battle I hated getting LTs and being forced to pull from Latest.  I'd rather have had 20 or 25 CP to choose which to pull from than be locked into something I don't want.  Now that 5E is a thing it's probably more important for newer players to spend some time pulling from classics to get all/most of the 20 & growing 5* classics rostered.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I'd rather see them split up the classic vault in two (vintage and classic for example).
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    It would be great if they’re replaced the 10cp progression reward in cl9 with a classic token.  They would never lower the price to 10cp but giving out a limited supply of them at that exchange rate forcing people to slowly pull classics for old 5* would be fun.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be great if they’re replaced the 10cp progression reward in cl9 with a classic token.  They would never lower the price to 10cp but giving out a limited supply of them at that exchange rate forcing people to slowly pull classics for old 5* would be fun.
    No thanks.  This would harm end game player's ability to fully cover 5*s before they leave and latest and nerf the cover swap option in latest.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018

I usually open the classics, as they're cheaper. I only really spend the 25CP to try and get a cover for a new 5*. I'm still deep into 4* territory as I'm trying to champ as many as I can (44 currently), so 5*s aren't a massive focus for me at the moment. One thing I'd like them to do though is have Heroic tokens give you a 3* minimum rather than a 2*
    If you want to cover 5*s eventually, this is a bad strategy.  The classic pool is far too diluted without cover swaps to correct rng.  Most high end players haven't opened classics in 1-2 years.  And it's probably a better plan to hoard cp, even if it slows your 4* roster growth slightly.  The easier jump to 5* land will pay dividends long term.

So while I would support changes that male classic 5*s easier to cover, I would be against any set of changes that had the net effect of also reducing the availability of cp/latest tokens.  Right now dedicated vets who grind pve and pvp can just about earn the 90ish LT pulls a month necessary to cover each new 5* before they become classic.  Any reduction to that pull rate would be a serious quality of life problem.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    If they also separate the 4*s. Make latests have vintage 4*s and new 5*s, classics have latest 4*s and vintage 5*s. Little contrarian to the popular suggestion, but I like it a little better than just classic 4s and 5s vs latest 4s and 5s. Instead of just all dilution vs not.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

CP is a lot more flexible - you can use it for Latest, for Classics, or even for the Event tokens (a good way to get some covers in a specific Classic 5*, for example.)

I'm a 5* player (I have 14 champed,) and I dip into Classics whenever I don't want to pull a particular 5* in Latest (I mean you, Level 458 Archangel.) I'll hoard LTs and use CPs for Classics.  I may do this when I complete Ghost Rider, at least once I get more than halfway through JJ.

It did occur to me, actually, that once you have a decent 5* Roster you could exclusively use CP for classics.  The danger there is that you probably won't complete the newer 5*s - but it would add to the power of your older ones. It's definitely a valid play strategy, particularly when the latest 5*s aren't game-changing.

I think I'm too much of a completionist to go that route, but it's probably the best way to maximize your Roster...

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Yearly "class" tokens seem like an easy solution (as I have been saying for a while). Every calendar year sees about 8x 5*s and 16x new 4*s.  Throw those 8x 5*s and "current 12 odds" for 16x 4*s into a token.  Charge 30cp for each one, only offer them for a limited run, and offer 5* cover swaps. 
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Why add a new token when you could just award 20cp?  Those who want classics can use it.  Those of who avoid the diulted classics like the plague can focus on keeping up with the latest 5
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like it (like others stated) only if it didn't replace CP or LT income that we already get.  I think pulling Classics is fun.  The possibility of getting anyone is always thrilling and it'd be a great rush to get a usable Classic 5.  But I don't want to pay the opportunity cost to do so.  So I never pull Classics, even though in theory they seem fun to pull.  So if we got Classic tokens as additional rewards that would allow us to have those occasional fun pulls without having to deviate from the most optimal roster-building strategy, I'd be all for it.
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Only if it's for a new store that only has the classic 5s in it. 
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    just change all latest token to 25 cp and just let us choose where we spend it
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    before i figured out the rhythm of acquiring cp and champing new 5*, i missed champing pretty much every 5* before gambit. in order to keep up with the new releases it's not really an option to go with classics. if they'd throw in a classic token, that'd allow for keeping up with the new releases and help finish off the older ones. it wouldn't be that hard. just throw an extra progression award in pvp and pve. put one in the vaults. easy peasy.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that adding more rewards would make it easier to cover characters.  But an extra 20 CP reward would help you just as much (if not more) than a new classic legends token.

With that said, it seems unlikely that they'll add that much CP (or CP equivalent) to rewards: the whole business model of games like this is to make the desirable collectibles feel just slightly out of reach with the option to spend your way out of the hole.  So if they were going to add something like this, it would likely be in place of some existing reward.

Besides, any new slots in the reward schedules are probably going to be red Iso and support tokens, at least in the short term.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Have DDQ: Crash of the Titans rotate every 60 hours and alternate between a Latest Legend Token and a Classic Legend Token.