RtO Mysteries...

bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
RtO was originally designed to be a 3 day weekend event, but we made a great case to have it shortened -- so now we have a 2 day event.

I'm wondering why the rewards, which were originally designed to mirror 3-day HoD weren't changed to match other 2 day events like ToS? I would much prefer my rares back. 

Also, why is this running on the weekend? Having a 2 day event end on Sunday afternoon is not great for a lot of people who have church, family activities, hobbies or Saturday night hangovers on Sundays. Shouldn't we be playing this Tuesday-Thursday and B4T on Friday-Monday?

I know these probably aren't popular opinions, but the changes seem strange....

Comments

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    I was not happy to see event rares go. However, I enjoy the opportunity to grab 300 jewels and 150 crystals, which I occasionally hit. Its a tough call. 
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    bken1234 said:
    RtO was originally designed to be a 3 day weekend event, but we made a great case to have it shortened -- so now we have a 2 day event.

I'm wondering why the rewards, which were originally designed to mirror 3-day HoD weren't changed to match other 2 day events like ToS? I would much prefer my rares back. 

Also, why is this running on the weekend? Having a 2 day event end on Sunday afternoon is not great for a lot of people who have church, family activities, hobbies or Saturday night hangovers on Sundays. Shouldn't we be playing this Tuesday-Thursday and B4T on Friday-Monday?

The reason it's not running during the week is probably because there's a bunch of complaints any time they run coalition events during the week, since it interferes with school/jobs/etc.

As for the rewards... yeah, rares would be nice, but I'll take the jewels too.  Of course, I wiped on two nodes this time and only finished top 100, but usually I can pick up 40-80 jewels and a whole bunch of crystals.  Considering that RtO is the Ixalan event, and even after the rebalance most of the player base considers Ixalan to be little better than food poisoning, they might figure that giving out flexible crystals/jewels is better than handing out rares for the players?  (That's optimistic.  There's probably an accountant over in an office at D3Go! whose entire job is to determine exactly which combination of event rewards leads to the highest increase in microtransaction revenue.)

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    ard021 said:
    bken1234 said:
    ~snip~

The reason it's not running during the week is probably because there's a bunch of complaints any time they run coalition events during the week, since it interferes with school/jobs/etc.

As for the rewards... yeah, rares would be nice, but I'll take the jewels too.  Of course, I wiped on two nodes this time and only finished top 100, but usually I can pick up 40-80 jewels and a whole bunch of crystals.  Considering that RtO is the Ixalan event, and even after the rebalance most of the player base considers Ixalan to be little better than food poisoning, they might figure that giving out flexible crystals/jewels is better than handing out rares for the players?  (That's optimistic.  There's probably an accountant over in an office at D3Go! whose entire job is to determine exactly which combination of event rewards leads to the highest increase in microtransaction revenue.)

The complaints weren't about a mid-week coalition event, they were about a 3 day mid-week coalition event running right into the weekend event with only 2 hours in between. 

Also aren't rewards from 2 events better than one? Especially 2 events that have individual and coalition rewards?
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    I, too , don't really understand why rares went away. Yes , I do really detest xln. That's why I want rare rewards . I'm not going to spend anything on the set. I'm mildly insulted that the cash grab of all cash grabs happened to be for a terrible set. Rix, is a solid set .Would enjoy seeing it in reward circulation, which I think happens with this b4t . I think that swapping out rares for jewels is also garbage. Tos gave both. They gotta stop taking away rewards . That really hurts the people that don't either have a hoard of in game currency or want to spend a bunch of real world currency. Then again, f2p is a choice. So is quitting. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some people did complain about a mid-week coalition event fullstop, but most were more concerned about the length and pressure of the particular setup and some examples were given of other mid-week coalition events in the past that had been far more relaxing.

I find that having a job and a family that there's only a _slight_ difference in amount of time I have on weekends since that's when everything ELSE is on like parties and sports and all kinds of stuff and some people work on weekends too and because of timezones the weekend pretty much covers 4 days if you are trying to fit the whole world in. 
    In the past the quiet time for Australia has been Friday night when _we've_ finished work and everyone else is still there but nothing is on. The problem I've usually had has been Monday morning when others are relaxing and finishing off their nodes but I'm already at work.

There is NO single solution that will work for all of us, timezones aren't the only problem nor are jobs or families or classes or parties, things just need to be "generally flexible".
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
       I like the 2 days events during the weekend as i can clear them without having to rush on mondays. 
       The reward pattern didn't change since the 3 days event but i can't help thinking its for the better. With the end of rerolls on pinks, no rare rewards and the low droprates of xln boosters, it seems fair to remain generous on the main and only coalition event of the week.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    I too like the 2 day event, but I think the problem pointed at here is really the age-old discussion around time zones. For the US players, end times at 14:00 is really inconvenient. For European players it's quite perfect (ends at 20:00 - you have the whole Sunday to play). This is the problem that really needs solving, for instance by having the last charge last longer than the others.

As for the rares, I think we should also consider that they are giving out quite a bit more pink than they used to. Now we get a 300 unobtanium event every other week, whereas before that was only once per month (and required a specific planeswalker!). I'm fine with events giving out unobtanium to spend on Elite packs which can give you rares, _or_ just scrap that altogether and start giving out orbs.

We also have Across Ixalan now that one average will give you around one rare per week with minimal effort (again, though, orbs would be preferable!).

I guess this bears into the event feedback territory, but ideally I'd like to see:

- One midweek non-coalition standard PVP event (2 days) with a total of 25 matches with top 5 platinum getting 1000 orbs, top 25 500 (plus some crystals and packs as usual).
    - Alternating PVP and PVE coalition weekend events, each 2 days and with a total of around 25 matches, with top 5 platinum in the PVP getting 2500 orbs, top 25 1000 (plus some crystals and packs as usual).
    - Sprinkle with Across Ixalan and some PVP and PVE legacy events. I'd love to see the legacy events have some more fun prizes, perhaps some hard-to-get rares, older planeswalkers, etc.

• ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    bken1234 said:
    The complaints weren't about a mid-week coalition event, they were about a 3 day mid-week coalition event running right into the weekend event with only 2 hours in between. 

Also aren't rewards from 2 events better than one? Especially 2 events that have individual and coalition rewards?
    Ok, I was confused about the nature of the complaints.  I thought they were complaints about the event running during the week at all.  To be fair, my coalition is generally inactive, so I pretty much don't see any difference between coalition and individual events.

As for the rewards, yeah, more would be nice.  I don't think anyone doesn't want more rewards.  I'm just realistic.  As the poster above mentioned, there are more jewels being made available, especially in Platinum (where AI rewards contain an offset for the cost of the event.)  They were going to balance that somewhere else.  Apparently, they did it with rares. 
  • Kinesia
    Hi Gideon, psychologically it doesn't work for everyone. HoD is my least favourite event because it starts with 5 charges and I look at it and can't help but be overwhelmed.
    Psychologically the company has to deal with people like me but _also_ with people who will do ALL of their charges in 3 hours and complain there is nothing else on for the whole weekend and _that_ is bad for the company as well.
    So while your solution probably does work for an awful lot of people it isn't a perfect or complete solution. Making the event not end until 12 hours after the last charge would fix it for me (and some other people) but again, I don't know if it's good enough for everyone.

There is a LOT of psychology involved in the "trickle' of gameplay most free to play games provide and a lot that needs to be experimented with potentially.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,090 Chairperson of the Boards
    These aren't exactly "mysteries". It's quite understandable if okatagon is under the impression that weekend is preferred by the players for coalition events, based on the recent complaints.

I'd like the rare rewards back too. But the campaign for bringing them back doesn't really have to involve scaling down the rewards for RtO.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    I'll gladly keep the same rewards for an event that is now 24 hours shorter than it used to be. I'll also gladly take an event ending on Sunday afternoon versus an event ending on Monday afternoon. With IXL and RIX, 120 jewels are the equivalent of a rare considering the entire sets were available in their respective elite packs. I understand this isn't the most ideal situation for everyone but Across Ixalan helps alleviate the loss of rare rewards. I too would like the rare rewards back but I don't think the current setup of RtO needs to be changed.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    bken1234 said:

Can I vote for keeping the rewards but changing the schedule to what you suggested? Mid-range ranking players will get close to 120 jewels after personal and coalition rewards.  A 1/3 chance at a mythic and a 2/3 chance at a rare seems better to me.

Also, love @ZW2007- idea

They do need a different solution for time zone issues.  I haven't been able to finish a Terrors or EC event in months because it recharges after bedtime and ends before my alarm clock.  Thankfully this is a useless event. 

However, as I have noted many times, they don't simply want you to log in when you want to log in. They want to create a habit, an obsession, an addiction. How many times have you logged in to collect a reward, open a free pack, or clear some nodes and ended up spending crystals on a premium pack, buying a special offer, or loading up on some crystals which you had no intention of doing?  I know I have...  I promise the solution is not just to allow us to play every event to completion at our leisure. That is very bad business for a mobile app.
  • Kinesia
    babar3355 said:
    bken1234 said:

Can I vote for keeping the rewards but changing the schedule to what you suggested? Mid-range ranking players will get close to 120 jewels after personal and coalition rewards.  A 1/3 chance at a mythic and a 2/3 chance at a rare seems better to me.

Also, love @ZW2007- idea

They do need a different solution for time zone issues.  I haven't been able to finish a Terrors or EC event in months because it recharges after bedtime and ends before my alarm clock.  Thankfully this is a useless event. 

However, as I have noted many times, they don't simply want you to log in when you want to log in. They want to create a habit, an obsession, an addiction. How many times have you logged in to collect a reward, open a free pack, or clear some nodes and ended up spending crystals on a premium pack, buying a special offer, or loading up on some crystals which you had no intention of doing?  I know I have...  I promise the solution is not just to allow us to play every event to completion at our leisure. That is very bad business for a mobile app.

Yes, they want you to login throughout the day which is why the free booster arrangement is soooo bad for _them_. They want you engaged with the gameplay, since the free booster is mostly going to be a dupe common it's not incentive.
    They need to put it back to a 3 pack at least that you can collect 4 times a day (about 3 hour gaps or something) but you HAVE to play a game to get it. Many many games do this (including Marvel Puzzle Quest which we're allowed to talk about) and the bit where they make you play for it is very very important, otherwise I'd login daily for the reward but slowly drift away from the game over time.
    You need to love the gameplay too.