Slice Population Questions

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I've never paid much attention to slices as I've always chosen the slice with the most convenient end for my time zone (CST, slice 4). But lately I've not been seeking progression and trying some different slices. I've noticed that my placement varies wildly depending on what slice I choose, with somewhat similar scores, and I'm simply curious for more information:

Do different slices attract more players?
Do vets/whales gravitate towards particular slices?
Does slice population vary within the different SCLs?
Are there popular slices for snipers?
Does it vary much between PvP and PvE?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I've never paid much attention to slices as I've always chosen the slice with the most convenient end for my time zone (CST, slice 4). But lately I've not been seeking progression and trying some different slices. I've noticed that my placement varies wildly depending on what slice I choose, with somewhat similar scores, and I'm simply curious for more information:

Do different slices attract more players?
    Do vets/whales gravitate towards particular slices?
    Does slice population vary within the different SCLs?
    Are there popular slices for snipers?
    Does it vary much between PvP and PvE?
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    My questions are largely academic. I always assumed some slices attracted more players due to the concentration of the player base in certain parts of the world, but I didn't think they varied that wildly.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Have you been reviewing the bracket tracking spreadsheet?  It might help you, but there is a lot of variance between Events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g24uo61ITTveZrUGx4ZY5nMoJp-n1NCxq5r4WMhAJU0/htmlview

This is a particularly bad time to check it out since it’s blanking out as slices close and AvX takes over.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    In my experience, Slice 4 is, by far, the most competitive, highest scoring slice in PVE. It's also the highest scoring slice in PVP.

I don't think it's just about the volume of players so much as this is the most convenient end time for most North America players who want to play the sub end and sub open optimally... so, those types of players gravitate to Slice 4. If someone is struggling with placement, it's really worth looking at trying to make a different slice work.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there will be player variations based on time zones. For example the 10pm end in the UK is probably around 5pm in NYC so I'm more likely to be up against younger US players. I'm less likely to face anyone in India (2.30am) or Japan (6am). 

Not that there is any evidence as to how that affects anything at all but I'm guessing it might be relevant at some point in interpreting the evidence base. 
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    is slice 4 the highest scoring slice in PVE, I did not know that. it is unfortunate since it is the only slice I have a chance at playing optimal.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    90% of players are in S1. It's pretty much Calais.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I choose S1, because its one of the most popular. Its not particularly convenient with everyday life but because it flips considerably its easier to miss the hardcore players and for me to still do well despite it not really fitting my everyday life. All other slices dont work for me at all.