Carry over between fights

Options
Blindman13
Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
Have you ever dealt the final blow to your opponent only to see a sweet match 5 on the board?
Ever finished a match with a ton of AP saved up or created several strike tiles to finish off that goon with only 10 life left?

Wouldn't it be nice to carry some aspects from the end of one fight into the next one?

Before any one gets carried away, I know this would be a massive change to the game and strategy. It could completely break Versus mode, because you could build up stats in an easy match just to decimate a more difficult opponent. This is more of an else-world idea. In other words, I know it will probably never happen, just wanted to share some thoughts I've had.

Particularly in Story mode, if you are progressing through nodes it seems to me it would make sense if the next match would pick up where the current one ends. Things like stored AP, board layout, and special tiles could stay. These would all reset if you changed the team lineup or waited an extended period between fights.

What do you think? 

Comments

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I actually love the idea.  Should be more of a "reward" for making stellar matches and playing the board.

Thought about this myself, applied in a different way...

1)  PVE changed to a points based system where matching impacts your actual score.  Cascades, match-4, match-5 earn you more points.  You get more points for making better matches, rather then just charge a super power and drop it.  I realize it has a lot of pros and cons, but just an idea.

2)  A daily "wave" mode where you must acomplish certain "in game" tasks to progress and win awards.  For example, "ONLY match-4s or greater will do damage in this wave."  Or "only cascades do damage."  Or "only critical matches do damage."  You could add bonuses in there like "earn a heroic by making a match-5 black this wave."

To me, the "puzzle" aspect of the game is somewhat simple.  I'd like more challenges and actual puzzles.  Make me use characters outside of the metas.

Again, just spit balling.
  • Blindman13
    Options
    Almost like some kind of match where you can defeat all enemies you face, maintain your AP and health, keep all the special tiles on the board and any friendly countdown tiles, and then face more enemies.  They'd come at you in groups, or 'waves'... as it were.  Different missions could have a different number of 'waves', and when you complete them you should get rewards based on how many 'waves' you completed.
    Yeah, I see what you're doing there....

The difference would be that between 'waves' you have the option to use health packs, or change your team at the cost of losing any stored AP or special tiles.  So, if you are dominating you can continue to do so, but if you are struggling you are not locked in.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When I use boosted Grocket, if any of his strike tiles are left out does he generate a whole bunch more at the start of the new match? If so, I am IN.
  • CosmicWolf
    CosmicWolf Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have always wanted a survival mode type play mode where you just keep fighting and each wave gives you increasingly better rewards.  Something like the Gauntlet but instead of individual fights they are all together and you just go until you are wiped.
  • Blindman13
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    When I use boosted Grocket, if any of his strike tiles are left out does he generate a whole bunch more at the start if the new match? If so, I am IN.
    Yeah this basically started because I've been running boosted Grocket and Nico all week, and loving the 6K+ strike tiles at the end of the matches, and wishing they didn't have to go away.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    That's certainly an interesting idea, however how would this kind of a mode be balanced? I'm sure there are plenty of creative players out there who could find a way to create some sort of near-infinite AP gain, or high enough power strike tiles to down them all in one cascade, if they were to all carry over to the next fight.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Almost like some kind of match where you can defeat all enemies you face, maintain your AP and health, keep all the special tiles on the board and any friendly countdown tiles, and then face more enemies.  They'd come at you in groups, or 'waves'... as it were.  Different missions could have a different number of 'waves', and when you complete them you should get rewards based on how many 'waves' you completed.
    Beat me to it... well done.

Brigby said:
    That's certainly an interesting idea, however how would this kind of a mode be balanced? I'm sure there are plenty of creative players out there who could find a way to create some sort of near-infinite AP gain, or high enough power strike tiles to down them all in one cascade, if they were to all carry over to the next fight.
    REALLY good point about the impossibly high strike tiles.  Can you imagine every match having 100+k strikes out that obliterate the enemy in one match??
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    All we need is C4rol, probably a team healer or protect tile maker, countdown tiles makers to setup strike/attack/protect tiles of doom in the first couple of match and then it would be an auto-win virtually every match. Imagine taking not more than 3 matches to down the entire team every subsequent match in PvP...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    All we need is C4rol, probably a team healer or protect tile maker, countdown tiles makers to setup strike/attack/protect tiles of doom in the first couple of match and then it would be an auto-win virtually every match. Imagine taking not more than 3 matches to down the entire team every subsequent match in PvP...
    It would also work with other tile-buffers. Nico, either version of Flying Sam, probably someone else I'm forgetting.

Also, Winfinite teams take a while to get going, but once they're there, they can cruise more or less indefinitely.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There are other specific special tile buffer like Bl4de. He's the first one that came to mind. C4rol, Nico and Wasp seems to be a good setup for destruction. Wasp to trigger C4rol's passive ability to buff special tiles, and Wasp's other ability to flip protect and strike tiles, and at the same time strengthening them. Nico to buff them constantly.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    .randomhero1090 said:
    I actually love the idea.  Should be more of a "reward" for making stellar matches and playing the board.

1)  PVE changed to a points based system where matching impacts your actual score.  Cascades, match-4, match-5 earn you more points.  You get more points for making better matches, rather then just charge a super power and drop it.  I realize it has a lot of pros and cons, but just an idea.
    The console version's XP system works somewhat like that. You get bonuses for making match-4s and 5s, for how much AP you use over the course of the battle, and a number of other conditions.
  • Blindman13
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Yes, there would need to be limits.  My initial thought was that it wold only carry over when you played the nodes in sequential order in Story mode. Once you finial the final node, everything resets to zero. If you go out of order, or repeat the same node, you start over from scratch. 
    Another option would be to have everything reset if you don't start the next node within a certain time limit. SO, as long as you are grinding away, you keep everything, but if you put the phone down for an hour or more, then it resets.
    Of course, any option would bring its own set of complications and potential for exploitation. 

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think the carry-over is doable with the way the game works right now, but I always thought it would be nice to have the option to go straight into the next node clear, for time's sake. Instead of having to select the easy nodes 4 times in a row, you could just beat it, everything clears, and you go straight into facing it again. You don't have to go back to the character or node select screens or anything.

Of course, tapping would be even more insane if this were a thing, but it would certainly save time in some of the PvE speed runs.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Someone wants to Raid.
    Carry over AP and health and enemy health for retries, but disallow healthpacks.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Adding a feature like this would finally take some of the sting out of me frequently saving up AP for the next wave in a wave node, only to realize I was on the last one already and was only needlessly toying with the last guy left...
    Or I guess they could add a different feature which indicates which wave (and the total number) you're currently on.  ;)
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    You have pointed out a serious design flaw with the proposal but I believe there is a way to solve this issue: passive abilities. The dev team would have to introduce characters that have abilities to counter these potentially exploits. So for instance to counter infinite AP gain:

Dormammu (Lord of Chaos)

Black: Passive. At the start of the battle, destroy all enemy AP. After every 5th turn, destroy all enemy AP.

To counter the strike tile problem:

Dr Doom (God Emperor)

Purple: Passive. Fortify and reduce all enemy strike, attack and protect tiles to 1. Whenever Doom matches a fortified tile deal 18,000 damage and generate 3 AP in ally team's strongest color and destroy 3AP in enemy team's strongest color.

And so on. You could even give "henchmen" type characters a toned down version of such abilities to add to the luck element of game play.

Such battles would be interspersed between normal fights so players could still benefit from the benefits of their efforts but not abuse ad infinitum.

Or another possible solution to such exploits would be hazard tiles that serve the same function. However, I imagine hazard tiles would be more exploitable since the player still has a degree of control in preventing them from resolving.

Perhaps a mixture of the two could be a happy middle ground?

In my mind, the feature could be implemented in a game mode similar to the Mortal Kombat Challenge Tower with difficulty and level of opponents raised as the player proceeds through the Tower. Incorporating both the OP's requested feature: the board condition and AP pools remain the same after completion of each battle, but the player is free to use HP or change team composition; and my recommended counters, mainly enemies with passives that counter potential exploits but also hazard tiles that serve a similar function, would make for an interesting and challenging game mode.

For example, a player starts out with a 4* Captain Marvel, 4* Agent Coulson and 5* Hawkeye and has managed to buff 3 strike tiles to do a total damage of 400,000 over 5 battles but sees the next encounter will involve 5* Black Suit Spider-Man, 5* Daredevil and pink and blue feeder Hydra henchmen and the enemy AP pool has 20 Purple AP and 15 blue AP basically nullifying your team strike tile advantage and putting the player's team at great risk of being obliterated since DD will convert those strike tiles. The player will at the very least need to bring their own BSSM or if they have enough purple AP 4* Jean Grey to get rid of those tiles.

You could even call the event: Tower of Doom. Since it will be quite challenging lock it for players who are below rank 50. Make the tower into 50 battles, divided into 5 stages of difficulty. Each stage has 10 battles of which one is a mid-boss battle and the final battle a "boss" battle. It might also be a good idea to lock out TUs. So what I am thinking is something like this:

Stage 1: "Easy" A strong 2* with some good 3* characters should be able to complete
    Main enemies: "The Skrulls" (basically 2~4* characters) [enemy levels range from 140~200]
    Mid Boss: Elektra with black and red hand feeders.
    Main Boss: Spider-Woman with purple and red feeders.

Stage 2: "Normal" A strong 3* roster should be able to complete
    Main enemies: "The Hand" and "Sinister Six" [enemy levels range from 200~350]
    Mid Boss: Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Vulture
    Main Boss: Daredevil (Shadowlands), BSSM and blue and purple feeder

Stage 3: "Hard" A strong 4* roster should be able to complete, a resourceful 3* roster with the right 4* characters might be able to finish
    Main enemies: Hydra and brainwashed 3~5* characters  [enemy levels range from 350~500]
    Mid Boss: 4* Deadpool and 3* Hydra Bob and 5* Captain America
    Boss: 5* Red Skull, 3* Loki and 3* Hydra Bob

Stage 4: "Legendary" A  fairly strong 5* roster should be able to complete. A player that has most 4* champs and at least 3 or 4* good 5* champed
    Main enemies: The Mindless Ones, Possessed  3~5* characters [enemy levels range from 500~650]
    Mid Boss: 3* The Hood, 4* The Thing, 4* Peggy Carter
    Boss: Dormammu and Mindless Ones

Stage 5: "Impossible" A strong 5* roster
    Main enemies: "Boss" type characters and 5* [enemy levels range 650~800]
    Battle 1: Boss version Ultron
    Battle 2: Apocalypse
    Battle 3: 5* Spider-Man, 4*Miles Morales, 4* Spider-Gwen
    Battle 4: The Inhuman Royals (Black Bolt, Medusa, Lockjaw)
    Battle 5: X-men '92 (5* Gambit, 4* Rogue, 4* Jubilee) 
    Battle 6: 4* Rocket, 5* Thanos, 4* Gamora
    Battle 7: 4* Captain Marvel, 4* Cloak and Dagger, 5* Silver Surfer
    Battle 8: The Defenders (5* Jessica Jones, 4* Luke Cage, 4* Iron Fist)
    Battle 9: 5* Thor, 4* America Chavez, 4* Valkyrie,
    Battle 10: God Emperor Doom, Carnage, 5* Dr. Strange

Of course, this is only one idea to try to conceptualize more concretely the OP's suggestion and I am sure there are flaws or potential exploits I am overlooking. But I had fun running with it.:)