How would you feel if PvP events werere limited to 4* and below?

jackstar0
jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Leaving 5*s for PvE and special events, would that make PvP a more exciting and varied experience?

Thanks to all who voted in the previous thread where I mistakenly didn't include the neutral option and then couldn't add it in before it got closed up, and all the discussion that followed. Also, the poll is anonymous this time, just because!

I personally really liked the comment that suggested this for Lightning Rounds. Then it's limited impact would spice up something that is definitely pretty stale (and would kinda fit better with the rewards for LRs).

How would you feel if PvP events werere limited to 4* and below? 78 votes

I would enjoy that. (In favor)
47% 37 votes
I would not enjoy that. (Opposed)
35% 28 votes
I would experience no feelings either way. (Neutral)
16% 13 votes

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I think the option would be great.  Like SCL, if I could choose to play in a PvP with only 4*s or less I'd absolutely accept that choice.  

But since I have a couple of champed 5's the MMR basically demands that I use them, cancelling out most of my roster.  
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Rather than have the game restrict rosters, I'd rather see them incentivize the use of more of our roster. For example, bonus rewards for using specific characters or teams (i.e. an ISO multiplier), or a separate progression reward track that only records wins earned with 3* characters, for example. These things could all be layered on top of existing systems.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I'd love some kind of achievement system, but apparently the devs are strongly against something like that.  But that conversation goes back a long time. 

Play 500 matches with all women, get 10,000 iso

Win 100 matches with only villains, get 10,000 iso

Win 100 matches without using an active ability, get 10,000 iso

etc.  Seems like an easy and rewarding system to put in place, but I don't think it gets any traction.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    I would really like to see them do away with 3* pvp and bring in 4* required pvp,
    soooo bored of 3* pvp and they are basically useless to me as a 5* player (except for maybe a couple ) 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    No for all. Ok for some occasionally. Primarily in Off Season or once a season. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    For 3* land or below, it would be good. I notice a number of 3* teaming up with 5* Jessica Jones, 5* GR, 5* AA. They have high points(50-70) in PvP and I tried going into a fight with one of them. The result isn't pretty for my team. Their match damage hits like a truck to my 3* and when they start cascading into a critical and takes down 1 of them, this is where I retreat.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would rather see 3* and 4* featured PVP events run simultaneously, and choosing one locks you out of the other. That said, if this choice were real I'd be all for it.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I would be all for something like this.  My two biggest complaints about PVP are that 1) 3* PVP is boring and 2) 4* rosters having to compete with 5* rosters for placement is ridiculous.  If you could select your tier at the beginning of an event (say 5,4 or 3) then be restricted to using characters from your selected tier and below, with each tier getting its own placement awards, that would be ideal imho
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    My thought would be to make the lower SCL PvP disallow the higher level characters. For example (SLC levels might not be these exact #'s):

SLC3 and lower: No 3* allowed
    SLC5 and lower: No 4* allowed
    SLC7 and lower: No 5* allowed

Modify level limits for SLCs in some way to go along with this. When SLC10 comes out, possibly move the limit for 5* to SLC8 and higher.

There are a number of advantages.

1) Players will no longer crutch on a single cover 5* in the lower brackets, who can destroy 2*s with just match damage
    2) You can actually pick your bracket, even if you are a higher level player
    3) Rewards will more closely match the characters used in the fight
    4) You can always play up if you want higher rewards. IE, a 3* team can still enter SLC7

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    cschwinge said:
    My thought would be to make the lower SCL PvP disallow the higher level characters. For example (SLC levels might not be these exact #'s):

SLC3 and lower: No 3* allowed
    SLC5 and lower: No 4* allowed
    SLC7 and lower: No 5* allowed

Modify level limits for SLCs in some way to go along with this. When SLC10 comes out, possibly move the limit for 5* to SLC8 and higher.

There are a number of advantages.

1) Players will no longer crutch on a single cover 5* in the lower brackets, who can destroy 2*s with just match damage
    2) You can actually pick your bracket, even if you are a higher level player
    3) Rewards will more closely match the characters used in the fight
    4) You can always play up if you want higher rewards. IE, a 3* team can still enter SLC7

the only issue is that your suggestion doesn't give a way for players to learn to blend and use their chars well.  Specifically,  no player in scl5 would have experience in learning how to use the 4* until they had a massive 4* tier that lets them compete in scl6 and 7.

you might think thats a trivial thing,  but from a design standpoint.  This blended zone of mixed tiers is where the best gameplay is actually found.  Historically, the best combos are almost always blended teams at mixed tiers.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    My favorite idea remains making Lightning Rounds something different, akin to no 5*s or something else.

LRs need some kind of adjustment to spice them up. As it stands, there's just very little point to doing anything beyond seeds.