Another Rocket & Groot Thread

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I used to despise Venom Bomb because it was one of the more difficult PvE events back when we had scaling and those tinykitty symbiotes would chew through my fledgling 3-star pre-strange roster so fast I didn't even realize what had happened when the loss screen popped up and asked me if I wanted to train my heroes. By the time SCLs came along and my roster was more developed, Venom Bomb became far less of an annoyance. But this weekend was an all new level of easy with boosted 4-star Rocket & Groot. You know that last hard node in Venom Bomb, the one with Carnage, Venom, and a Symbiote feeder? That node used to tear me up. With boosted Rocket & Groot double-dipping their strikes off Carnage's attack tiles, I'm yawning and watching TV while playing this node, barely paying attention. I was like that for the whole event - match whatever three tiles I first notice and watch as everything dies in 2-3 turns. It was just that simple. My guess is that even 5-star players in SCL 9 were leaning on Grocket this weekend.

I didn't mind at all - it's sometimes nice to give the tedious grind of PvE an 'easy button'.

But then I hopped over to the Versus side of things  and joined my favorite PvP event of the year - Bags to Riches! Of course, Grocket was boosted over here as well so the only (and I mean only) teams I saw in this event was Bagman/Grocket/Gamora and it was a tinykitty bloodbath out there. YUCK. My favorite PvP event and I could barely tolerate climbing to 350 points (and that includes 200 from seed teams).

So there's my point. I love Grocket when he's on my side in PvE, but hate him in PvP when he's on your side. I guess I'm a spoiled only-child of a player who wants my cake and to eat it too.

Comments

• moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    This isn't an MMORPG, but it reminds me of the age old discussion that stemmed from those where people ask why can't PvP be a completely separate thing that doesn't ruin the other environment.

If only Rocket could stay awesome for PvE, and only be nerfed for PvP where he ruins it.  Even more so this question could be asked of Gambit, who's fine for PvE, but ruins PvP.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    moss04 said:
    This isn't an MMORPG, but it reminds me of the age old discussion that stemmed from those where people ask why can't PvP be a completely separate thing that doesn't ruin the other environment.

If only Rocket could stay awesome for PvE, and only be nerfed for PvP where he ruins it.  Even more so this question could be asked of Gambit, who's fine for PvE, but ruins PvP.
    Same thing can be said about MMR in PVP. Most people softcap their 5*'s to not get destroyed in PVP and still enjoy 4* land. The only problem is it affects PVE, because higher leveled 5*'s specially the essential one that is boosted every event makes your node completions faster due to match damage. We all know the secret to placement in PVE is speed. I have the same issue. I have six 4*'s champed so I just started 4* land, which I love. I only use my 5*'s for match damage to complement my 4*'s in PVP. I got all my 5*'s soft capped at LV 270, because I already have enough trouble going through Boosted 4*'s every PVP to also have to deal with higher leveled 5*'s or Gambit. 
  • Dormammu
    So ... .PvP should be a thoroughly handicapped, 100% meta-free mode in which players are restricted to only the most ineffectual characters?
    I'm not sure I said anything like that. In fact, I recognize my two-faced opinion on this character...

Dormammu said:
     I guess I'm a spoiled only-child of a player who wants my cake and to eat it too.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Dormammu said:
    My guess is that even 5-star players in SCL 9 were leaning on Grocket this weekend.

I used him for some easy nodes, but that's it.  I've moved on to using Thor/America.  I haven't even used Gambit in PvE in a few weeks.  It's kinda weird.

Also, don't forget that they nerfed Carnage in this event so he can't fire his red.  That was the dumb thing about that last node when it first came out - Carnage firing his red every 3 turns.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

Orion said:
    Dormammu said:
    My guess is that even 5-star players in SCL 9 were leaning on Grocket this weekend.

I used him for some easy nodes, but that's it.  I've moved on to using Thor/America.  I haven't even used Gambit in PvE in a few weeks.  It's kinda weird.

Also, don't forget that they nerfed Carnage in this event so he can't fire his red.  That was the dumb thing about that last node when it first came out - Carnage firing his red every 3 turns.

My Archangel is 458 (bleah, I kept pulling latest going "Thor, Thor, Thor!" and seeing that purple and blue...) so that's who I ran over the event with.  My 5* Star Lord is up to 12 covers (5/5/2, unfortunately,) and soft-capped, so Archangel/Star Lord/ R&G was the team for when I wanted to kill my opponent with match damage alone...

It was definitely fun.  I barely got to fire a power off...

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I found myself thinking a couple of times that 4* R&G should just get removed from the boost cycle. HoboFist is also boosted this week, and he's one of my favourite characters to play, but I haven't pulled him out even once, because it's just so much easier and faster to run Grocket.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I'm FIRMLY in 4* land (everything but BP champed) and typically I run with my champed Peter Parker and Vulture unless there's some great boosted options. PVE was automatic and easy thanks to Nico, BG and Gamora.  By like turn 6 I was doing 8k plus in just match damage.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I found myself thinking a couple of times that 4* R&G should just get removed from the boost cycle. HoboFist is also boosted this week, and he's one of my favourite characters to play, but I haven't pulled him out even once, because it's just so much easier and faster to run Grocket.
    4Fist and R4G are possibly my two favorite boosted 4*s. After relying almost solely on Grockamoradusa throughout the first sub, I actually started using VultureFist and they were actually more effective on many of the nodes against tile movers. The Archangel req'd nodes in particular were fun with all three characters running the same three colors and AA tanking everything.
  • Dormammu
    edited April 2018
    4Fist and R4G are possibly my two favorite boosted 4*s. After relying almost solely on Grockamoradusa throughout the first sub, I actually started using VultureFist and they were actually more effective on many of the nodes against tile movers.
    Don't get me wrong here, because I too love playing my newly champed Hobofist with Vulture, but by the time Vulture would get airborne long enough to generate any AP for Hobo, Medusa double or triple-dipping on Grocket's boosted strikes would have cleared all 6 battles in the node.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I normally play in scl8 and dislike Venom Bomb, but with R4G boosted I chose scl9 and it's been a breeze. The only issuses have been in the req 5* nodes. Medusa is my usual 4* bh as I am trying to get Blackbolt covered, but I am seriously leaning to making it Grockett for a perpetual easy mode.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    Don't get me wrong here, because I too love playing my newly champed Hobofist with Vulture, but by the time Vulture would get airborne long enough to generate any AP for Hobo, Medusa double or triple-dipping on Grocket's boosted strikes would have cleared all 6 battles in the node.
    Bringing C&D along for the ride gets Vulture going in a hurry and that team just gets stronger as the match goes on, whereas Grockamoradusa are great as long as R4G's strikes aren't cascaded away and you can get done what you need to quickly.

The higher the enemy level in this event, the more likely I've been to run 4IF, Vulture, and C&D (or Medusa if Carnage is an opponent).
  • Dormammu
    Whenever I'm facing Carnage, on any node be it PvE or PvP, I always bring Grocket + Guardian. It's his perfect counter, because Carnage will doom his own team making attack tiles for me that benefit from Grocket's strikes.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reed, Medusa, and Nico have basically ended Carnage. You can do the same to R&G if you bring someone who can take a punch. They're very beatable.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love boosted Nico with him because if his strikes are matched away, as long as he still has one tucked in a corner somewhere, she will keep boosting it to crazy levels.  And by that time will likely make more.  Medusa is my third because she will buff her attack tiles too.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The higher the enemy level in this event, the more likely I've been to run 4IF, Vulture, and C&D (or Medusa if Carnage is an opponent).
    I got out a stopwatch and did some testing this morning, and that's pretty much what I found. At SCL8, Grockamoradusa are faster (by almost 2:1) and better at everything other than the 4* and 5* essentials, which are pretty much a wash. They'd actually probably still be better on those if I could somehow bring all three of them and the Required character.

Grockamoradusa are a team that starts fast, and then tapers off, so they're fast as long as they can win the fight before too many of their Strikes get matched away. VultureFist take a little while to get going, but then just keep getting more powerful. So at SCL9, I can definitely see VultureFist getting the edge by a solid margin, as enemy HP totals rise past Grockamoradusa's ability to drop them before the Strikes get cleared away.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    I have never gone SCL9 before, but, did for Venom Bomb because of boosted Nico and Rocket. I didn't play very hard at all, but, still finished Top 20. Nico/Rocket mowed through everything except the E5 node with ease, ending most matches in 5-10 moves, tops.

A few strikes would get matched away, but, usually a few would end up in a corner and get boosted to ridiculous levels. The key is getting out Nico's purple as early as possible to get the attack tile out as well. It's also easy to forget that she is a true healer, which is a nice health pack saver.

I went SCL9 again for The Hunt, but, will probably return to SCL7 when Rocket/Nico return to unboosted levels going forward.
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Last Galactus event was funny to see, how world biggest gross feeder was kicked back to space in couple of turns with main boosted R&G/Guardian/boosted 4Fist. I was able to one shot him at round 8 with single lucky cascade.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    50% health 5* Thor/America/AA (got to lvl 456 sadly) and sometimes Critical boosts just shredded cl9 for me.

I did try Thanos/rocket/gamora a few times but not as good.