At the very end...can MPQ become an offline game?

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
edited March 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
With only a basic knowledge of programming I readily admit that I don't have any idea how feasible it may be, but when MPQ does eventually "die", or rather, before it dies, would it be possible for it to become playable as an offline game.

PvE events could just repeat infinitum, and we'd play for progression rewards only. Not placement, obviously, as there would be no other players, and no PvP for the same reason. Although...

PvP progression may be possible if the AI teams get stronger the higher you climb, with more, higher tier opponents, until eventually you'd be taking on Gambit/Thanos/Black Bolt teams, or whoever the top tier 5* team would be at that time.

Would it be possible for MPQ to eventually become an offline-only game, too?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would probably require a lot of extra code work to do that wouldn't be cost effective for a game that's ending.

What's more likely / what I'm hoping for is when they decide their done the game got maintenance only.  What that would mean is no new content (characters/events/etc).  It remains online and events loop, but nothing else happens.  Micro-Transaction are left on so they have some reason to justify leaving the servers on.

I'm pretty sure this is the state Adventure Time Puzzle Quest is in right now (and has been for years) so it's not unlikely to expect it to happen.  Only reasons it wouldn't would be:
    1.  D3 and or Demi go completely bankrupt and cease to exist.
    2.  Marvel license is taken away or becomes too expensive to keep for this so they are legally obligated to do a full shutdown.

Whatever happens I hope we don't have to worry about this for a long time.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Outside the depressing end-game scenario of the team/studio coming to an end, I'll say that having just flown across the country and back, it's kind of a bummer that there is no offline capability in the current game. I mean, what's a mobile game for if not to be played on airplane trips?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Take the bus. No problems playing online and there's lots more time to play
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Outside the depressing end-game scenario of the team/studio coming to an end, I'll say that having just flown across the country and back, it's kind of a bummer that there is no offline capability in the current game. I mean, what's a mobile game for if not to be played on airplane trips?
    In plane wifi is a thing..
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Daiches said:
    In plane wifi is a thing..
    It's rarely free, and I'm not paying for wifi to play a free game lol
  • Bleh5
    Bleh5 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Would love for PvE to be offline NOW. Cell reception sucks in the subway.
  • JSP869
    Dogface said:
    Take the bus. No problems playing online and there's lots more time to play
    I am so glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee reading that. Literally made me LOL. Thank you :D
  • JSP869
    broll said:
    That would probably require a lot of extra code work to do that wouldn't be cost effective for a game that's ending.

What's more likely / what I'm hoping for is when they decide their done the game got maintenance only.  What that would mean is no new content (characters/events/etc).  It remains online and events loop, but nothing else happens.  Micro-Transaction are left on so they have some reason to justify leaving the servers on.

I'm pretty sure this is the state Adventure Time Puzzle Quest is in right now (and has been for years) so it's not unlikely to expect it to happen.  Only reasons it wouldn't would be:
    2.  Marvel license is taken away or becomes too expensive to keep for this so they are legally obligated to do a full shutdown.

Wow! I didn't realize Adventure Time PQ has been around that long. When I saw it being promoted on the Forum here I thought it was a new game. I'm actually very happy to hear that. I didn't make this post as a "Woe! Doom & gloom!" thread. I've been playing for 4+ years, almost since the beginning, and I hope MPQ will still be supported & receive updates for many more years to come.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    civ iv for ipad.  Had to fly to Mexico.  no wifi on plane gr.... landed and paid full price for civ iv
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    JSP869 said:
    broll said:

Wow! I didn't realize Adventure Time PQ has been around that long. When I saw it being promoted on the Forum here I thought it was a new game. I'm actually very happy to hear that. I didn't make this post as a "Woe! Doom & gloom!" thread. I've been playing for 4+ years, almost since the beginning, and I hope MPQ will still be supported & receive updates for many more years to come.
    Yeah I just confirmed that updates stopped 08/2016. There was an update in 06/2017 which just disabled all in game support options.  I confirmed that today 1.5 years after it ended it’s still in the iOS App Store for download.  The notes in both the last updates indicate online rankings still occur in the game. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/48797/atpq-patch-notes-08-08-16#latest

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/65140/update-adventure-time-puzzle-quest-removal-of-online-support-6-1-17#latest

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Well, you know, there are other mobile games .... :wink:

Shockingly, very few that allow for offline play anymore. The other one I like to play is Trials: Frontier, and my wife plays a disney match-3 that rewards you with branded emojis you can use on your keyboard, which also requires a connection. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 said:
    With only a basic knowledge of programming I readily admit that I don't have any idea how feasible it may be, but when MPQ does eventually "die", or rather, before it dies, would it be possible for it to become playable as an offline game.

PvE events could just repeat infinitum, and we'd play for progression rewards only. Not placement, obviously, as there would be no other players, and no PvP for the same reason. Although...

PvP progression may be possible if the AI teams get stronger the higher you climb, with more, higher tier opponents, until eventually you'd be taking on Gambit/Thanos/Black Bolt teams, or whoever the top tier 5* team would be at that time.

Would it be possible for MPQ to eventually become an offline-only game, too?
    This is definately not a game I’d want to play. The things players complain about are the things that honestly keep me playing!  The fact that’s there’s a 6th cover problem, that characters are so expensive to champ, that they come out so frequently, that PVE is not progression only, etc. all of that keeps me in the hamster wheel and I know it!  The only thing that honestly disengages me from the game is PVP because that’s the only place where if I play more I lose more and progression becomes regression. It’s backwards.

Without the competition, and the chasing, and the roster growth I’d just get bored. I’m very glad the developers don’t listen to every suggestion players make and the game isn’t easier. I know it’s not a popular opinion but again, for me I’d of quit awhile ago due to boredom. 
    I envision the hamster wheel still being in the game, even if it went offline, so you'd still be able to get tokens and random covers from redeeming those tokens, just like you do now, and still be able to slowly advance your roster.

Oh. But now I'm recalling when I finally quit WoW after my Guild imploded. Well, I tried to quit. I quit paying the monthly sub for a while then renewed for a month, but with none of my in-game friends online it wasn't the same. So I quit (again) and later played via the Starter Account, but without my friends or the social aspect of the game WoW just wasn't the same game.

I imagine MPQ would likewise lose a lot of its appeal if I didn't have the chat going on in the background with my Alliance mates. A good Alliance doesn't just help your progression, good Alliance mates make the game more fun.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I used to play a game called Pantheon The Legends, a Greek mythology-themed collectible card game. They at one time decided to halt further development, not releasing any new cards, but kept the servers running for about a year after that. I enjoyed it while it lasted. 
    One should decide for themselves if cycles of events like they are now are enough to keep playing. I believe i would continue to play. I'm nowhere near the endgame and there's still a lot of roster to cover.
  • Momo988
    Momo988 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    There are companies that exist that buy titles and live off of ongoing revenue streams and basically just keep the lights on. 
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Well, you know, there are other mobile games .... :wink:

Shockingly, very few that allow for offline play anymore. The other one I like to play is Trials: Frontier, and my wife plays a disney match-3 that rewards you with branded emojis you can use on your keyboard, which also requires a connection. 

My wife also plays that one, it breaks my eyes a bit when I watch the screen with all those colourful emojis everywhere. I thought you could play it offline (she does it that often) but if you want to link to leaderboards or buy any packs/tokens, then you need to be connected. Something like that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited March 2018
    Trials: Frontier is a lot of fun with the additional RPG elements it brings to the Trials formula. I wish it were on console, with more of an end-game scenario, because it's a cool world. If you're playing the console Trials, there is content unlock back and forth between both of them if you get certain medals on certain tracks. But it's more of a twitch mechanic experience, not turn based, so it's not something you can treat like a fidget-spinner while say walking to your car from the office or whatever. Puzzle Quest, being turn based, is something you can pick up or put down arbitrarily, so long as you're not chasing placement or whatever. There was a game i used to like called Slayin' that was sort of an endless wave, single screen combat game. you could just walk back and forth, slay enemies, and each character type had like one thing they could do. You just played till you died. but at some point it stopped being supported, and it woudln't work on the current iOS version.
    https://www.fdg-entertainment.com/games/slayin/
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    MPQ would be much better as a game you have to buy with

1) a definite end
    2) no more random nonsense or wasted covers.  You win it you earn it.
    3) better stories
    4) No grinding
    5) reasonable upgrade costs
    6) once the up front is paid, you get the whole game.  No pay to get ahead.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    The game would be more easily hack/modified since majority of the source code would reside in your device? It would be nice to play offline but how often do you go offline in this era unless you are in a plane or somewhere remote?

Demiurge is under Sega. So, I don't think it would go bankrupt unless all games by Demiurge has proven to be a liability financially. In the context of MPQ, they are generating negative return from continuing with this game. If MPQ were to be available offline due to financial reason, all the more they wouldn't make it available offline since they still have to pay licensing cost and other operating expenses related to MPQ.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The game would be more easily hack/modified since majority of the source code would reside in your device? It would be nice to play offline but how often do you go offline in this era unless you are in a plane or somewhere remote?

Demiurge is under Sega. So, I don't think it would go bankrupt unless all games by Demiurge has proven to be a liability financially. In the context of MPQ, they are generating negative return from continuing with this game. If MPQ were to be available offline due to financial reason, all the more they wouldn't make it available offline since they still have to pay licensing cost and other operating expenses related to MPQ.

Demiurge/Sega won't have a say in the matter, it'll be 200% Marvel who will pull the plug as soon as they don't make enough money from this anymore.

And it 500% will NOT run offline with Marvel characters.