Who all has held the 4* crown?

2»

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Some players run America in buffed with 5* to climb in PVP as her critical tiles do that much work.  
    I run America NOT buffed with 5* Gambit/Thor in PVP and can hit 900 each time.  Takes some shield jumping and timing but it is quite fast.  Yes, you are a huge target for retal so I switch back to Gambit and Thor if I ever leave myself out there.

To that point, best 4* definitely depends on the rest of your lineup.  Would I ever use America 1on1?  Not really.  On her own she isn't great.  But is she the best one to pair with 5*s.  Yep.  R&G and Valk would be 2nd or 3rd in a coin toss.  I don't think I've purposely used Carol or Vulture in ages.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono said:
    Peggy was never scary to me. As I entered 4* land within my first 10 champs I had medusa and carnage. I hit every Peggy team I found. She is good but passive damage tears her up. I would never see an attack from her. She is vastly overrated imo and the meta has flown past her.

Carol I respect but I rarely target her first. Vulture I always pounce on first,  same with medusa.

Now I see more 5* teams so the 4* I see most unboosted is america. So I take her down first and be done with her annoying passives.
    Peggy isn’t too scary on defense because the AI rarely uses her blue well.  Use it right before killing the weakest target and it’s a 3 turn team stun that hits like a truck.  The AI is much better with Carol and Vulture.

There’s more to a character than PVP defense.  PVP offense, PVE, usefulness when unboosted, and usefulness with top tier 5’s all play a part.

As a mostly PVE player I value Vulture’s ability to clear CD’s very high.  He can take out the level 515 5* essential goon nodes by himself unboosted.

Based on how much I use them, I rank them Vulture, Peggy, then Carol.  All 3 are pretty awesome though.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Hmm, here is my chronological list of best 4* (for all-around 4* v 4* play, with disputed claims in "()". 

Xfw -- trash on release, but no competition.

(Baglady/iw) - about as bad as Xfw mk I.

Fury --  finally, a legitimately useful 4*, if a bit expensive.

Xfw mk II-- his rework was beastly.

(4* thor) -- hit harder than xfw, and had a stun, but was also a bit slower. Thorverine was a great pairing. I think that the debate between her and xfw was undecided, no matter what aesth says. Both awesome.

Xfw mk II -- thor was nerfed 1st, so he had one last month of glory in spring 2014.

Prof x -- briefly dominant just before the main meta switched to pure 4*.

Imhb -- a leap forward in 4* power. Imhb + if was utterly dominant in June and July of 2014.

(Jg) -- arguably more useful than imhb, but not clearly superior due to lower health, lower single target damage, and lack of self-accel.

Ice -- another leap forward in 4* strength. Super strong stun, self-accel, massive nuke, massive aoe all in one package.

Peggy -- same tier as ice, but better on PvP defense because of that passive.

(Blade) -- so much damage output.

(Medusa) -- not as flashy, but so damn useful in so many ways.

Carol -- just an awesome character design. Has just about everything you could want except defense.

And I think she is still the best one for all around 4* v. 4* play.  There are some great newer 4*s (like gamora + grocket, or America) that excel at particular aspects such as fast pve grinds or mixed 4*/5* play.  But carol is still the class of the 4* tier for all-around play.

Abd briefly, the same list for 5*s:

SS -- no competition at first.

OML -- very good. Especially for the 5* transition.

(GG) -- actually better than oml for a single match.

(Im46) -- hampered by weak team IM roster, but as good as or better than GG on paper.

BB -- a leap forward in 5* strength.

(Thanos) -- dominant for extrinsic reasons relating to grinding and PvP defense.

(Hawkeye) -- first strong self-accel in 5* land. . .I know, 5* land never used to have self-accelerators, haha.

Gambit -- no surprise; uncontested king for the moment (half thor is nice for fast pace grinding, but gambit is still all-around king).

Edited to correct the release order for xfw and IW. Apparently Xfw was first.  I joined the game just before fury's release, so it was before my time.
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Red Hulk and Cyclops had a brief run at the top, right after anniversary 2015, at least amongst the players who had them.  I was on the XMen at the time, and the reason we started cupcaking was not because of 5*, it was because no other 4s could reliably beat the Cyke/RH pair (including Jeanbuster).  Then two months later everyone at the top had OML.