On the topic of removing animations

Options
GrizzoMtGPQ
GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
I really like the idea of turning off all animations (Oktagon told us this is a feature they are working on from the last Q&A) and using my intuition to figure out what happened. If I really need to know the details I can check the battle log to see what exactly occurred.

Given that there are infinite loop possibilities in the game it would be really nice if the app DIDN'T just lock up while it tried to calculate an infinite end state. Though this collapses into the Turing Halting Problem, which we know is not calculable, we could have some timeout set in the app where if it detects that the calculation thread has been running for a configurable amount of time, it ends the game where you lose and it displays an error message.

I was thinking the timeout should be 3 minutes (that's a crazy amount of time given that the animations are turned off) and the losing/error message would say, "YOU LOSE SUCKA!" Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Comments

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was thinking it would be alike the "speed up" we breifly had during the start of the Kaladesh block.  For one patch cycle everything was blazingly fast.

That was later reverted because it was too fast and we didn't have log functionality at that time to tell what had just happened.

I would like/hope that the animation toggle would be something like that where we could go into or out of that kind of mode.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the Turing Halting Problem doesn't apply (though it would still be quite a difficult problem) as I'm pretty sure the card interactions in this game aren't Turing Complete. However, a no-interaction timeout would be significantly easier to implement.

I'm also very much looking forward to animation toggling! Personally, I hope it'll be an off/normal/slow type toggle because this game tends to make my phone heat up, and turning off animations should help with that. Plus I think it'd look funny to have the gems teleport if they go that far with no animations.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    On a related note, is there a way to stop an infinite loop (as the player looping, not facing against it) part-way through? Sometimes I know that a 300-power trampler is going to do that job, no need to keep going...
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    On a related note, is there a way to stop an infinite loop (as the player looping, not facing against it) part-way through? Sometimes I know that a 300-power trampler is going to do that job, no need to keep going...
    Depends on the loop.  If everything is auto casting, the answer is no.  Only way out is to forfeit. 
    Coding lesson of the day, ALWAYS ADD A BREAK FUNCTION