Old Hero Vault or New Hero Vault?

hopper1979
hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
Just recently I have finished championing every lvl 4 I can, I am down to 6-8 of the newest characters (4stars) and all but 3 of the 5 stars which are all between 9-13 covers.  Up until this point I have bought characters solely from the vault for 20 ap.  Now that I am where I am I am beginning to rethink this due to the fact the only "old" character I have not leveled is Venom.  The issue I have is for every 4 I buy from the current champion vault I buy (25 cp each) I am loosing 1 card that I could be getting and boosting my already championed 4's.  

I am really torn here, Do I go form more covers and therefor more rewards and stick to the old vault or do I speed up my chances of leveling my unslotted cards but cost myself, in the long term, a lot of extra 4 and possibly some 5's?  I am still leaning towards the old vault so if you think I am mistaken please be compelling in your argument for the recent hero vault.  :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    You shouldn't be spending, you should be hoarding. You're ready to move into the 5-star tier and the best way to fully cover and champ those as they are released is through popping a hoard (300 pulls is the consensus on these forums) in the Latest Legends.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Latest, or hoard. You might have 0 waste and get more rewards, but you wouldn't really be progressing by opening classics.
    Depending on your 3*s and some luck, you can cover a 5 from opening Latests. I champed Daredevil and got Thor and Gambit to 12 covers without hoarding.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    Latest, or hoard. You might have 0 waste and get more rewards, but you wouldn't really be progressing by opening classics.
    Depending on your 3*s and some luck, you can cover a 5 from opening Latests. I champed Daredevil and got Thor and Gambit to 12 covers without hoarding.
    This.

While I normally say hoard, once you've complete all the 4*s the minefield is gone.  In theory you should be able to to cover the newest latest (JJ) before she leaves.  You might not get AA or GR, but they don't seem meta defining so I wouldn't worry to much.  You're probably at a point where hoarding is no where near as critical and pulling as you go is fine as long as you pull from Latest.  If there's ever a point where everyone in Latest is bad, then it's probably worth hoarding until someone good comes along, but that's more of a judgement call.

Use your BHs and feeders to finish off classics best you can if that's important to you.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for the info I will give it a try, I am still not 100% sold, I am patient and I collect so I do not mind waiting but I do want to make some quicker progress on the news 4's so I will see how it goes.  Thanks again.  

Now do you think hording is necessary or spending right away.  Mathematically there should be no difference, I have never been a big fan of hording unless you are planing for a release.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    The idea behind hoarding is that  you build up more of a savings in advance of a release than you could potentially earn across a character being in latest. 5*s rotate out of latest on a 3 month (?) cycle, so you'll only be able to earn so man LTs and CP across that time. If you just wait, save up enough to statistically be able to cover all of them (the aforementioned 300 pulls), it will be mathematically different. If you did it all with CP, you'd need 7500 cp, but surely there will be LTs earned across that time. There are other threads that discuss how long it takes to make that, and obviously your mileage may vary depending on your alliance's spend-rate, your play patterns, etc.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hoarding allows you to choose who you cover. I have opened the hoard when DD, Gambit and Thor where in. I have all 3 championed now. I call it could use of the hoard. Archangel, Rider and Jones are not as good so it would be better to wait and see who will be next. That means - hoarding.