Which to lvl first? Tezzeret, Nahiri, or Vrazka

elwhiteninja
elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
edited March 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Trying to decide on my next lvl 60,  I feel like I have better cards for tezzeret or Nahiri but I love the mana ramp and destruction of vrazka.

I am leaning towards tezzey myself (marionette master ftw) but I know Nahiri is a top rated PW so I'm not sure. And vrazka seems like a really well rounded option

Which to lvl first? Tezzeret, Nahiri, or Vrazka 33 votes

Tezzeret the schemer
21%
madwrenDodecapodFindingHeart8IM_CARLOSard021WolfteethToodles 7 votes
Nahiri
36%
speakupaskanswerTomBJopeX37WaschechtUweTellkampfNinjaEertaiiLaeuftbeidirFirinmahlazerBrakkisUnifrogrchou211 12 votes
Vrazka
42%
andrewvanmarlekhurramarNeroGrizzoMtGPQStormcrowFurksElfNeedsFoodThuranFroggyKinesiaEnygma6SnappyturtleIndymonWulFgaR77 14 votes

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tezz 1 or 2 and do you have Bolas leveled? 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also do you have Aj1 leveled and what are you using for green?
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    The answer is... it really depends on what other PWs you have and your card collection.  
    If you have no other 2 color PW, I’d go with Vraska because Nissa 1 can’t handle competition.  
    If you have all the other PWs, I’d go with Tezz 2 because he’s unique in his play style.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    It depends on your card collection. What colors are your best cards in? It’s pointless to level a planeswalker if you don’t have the cards for it. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Vrazka
    Vraska is pretty easy to make work with nothing but commons and uncommons (throw some pirates, black kill spells and green ramp spells together, use her 2nd ability ASAP...and off you go). If you have a more extensive card collection, you can make Vraska decks in all kinds of playstyles or that will hit all sorts of different optional objectives. One of my favorite PWs and definitely my recommendation for first choice.

Nahiri is the next most versatile PW, in terms of what cards you can use with her and still have her really shine. But she's pretty aggro, so while she doesn't really require specific cards she kind of pushes you towards a specific playstyle which may or may not work well for a given battle.

Tezz2....meh. I was never as impressed with him as everyone else seems to be. I think you must need some really specific cards to make him really impressive. Either I don't have those cards or I've just never figured him out. I think even his biggest fans would probably agree that having Kaladesh and Aether Revolt rotate out of Standard didn't do Tezz2 any favors, though.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stormcrow said:

Tezz2....meh. I was never as impressed with him as everyone else seems to be. I think you must need some really specific cards to make him really impressive. Either I don't have those cards or I've just never figured him out. I think even his biggest fans would probably agree that having Kaladesh and Aether Revolt rotate out of Standard didn't do Tezz2 any favors, though.

This is what I like about him and why he's still viable for me. He has access to 6 blue or black supports in a deck, making him great for creatureless or spell-less objectives in events with objectives in those nodes. He can take up a slot that frees me to use Bolas in a different node. His mana gains are solid across the board. 6 mana on a black or blue match, 5 on a white match and 4 on red. He was OP in legacy events but still completely solid for me in standard.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Tezzeret 2 excels at something no other planeswalker does.  If you want to build a deck that uses support count for anything at all, or support entry/destruction triggers, he's the absolute top of the pack in a way other PW can't touch.

I have fun decks for him that are unplayable elsewhere.

(He's arguably the best at abusing the current Storm the Vault).

Edit: On the poll question, I say level all 3.  Nahiri should go to 60 at some point, but the other two are ok not levelling all the way up if runes are a concern.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nahiri
    James13 said:

(He's arguably the best at abusing the current Storm the Vault).
    I
     actually abuse this card with..
    Sarkhan.
    His weird mana gains don't really care for colors. Red/black with ramp is brutal.

Since the op seems to be in the mid-range, and not in the end game, I'd definetely recommend nahiri. She's the most easy to build reliable budget decks for.. Although I prefer playing the two others currently, she'll always remain relevant
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Nahiri
    Nahiri is easy to use no matter the quality of your cards, and his first loyalty ability when fully leveled is just amazing. Get three creatures, then just spam it and win.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I voted for Nahiri because with the right cards in your collection i think it's the most terrible. The HUF-Deploy combo is just a bomb.

I use it with Decimator, Emrakul, Gisela and Bruna and NEVER lost a battle with it. It's simply a no brainer.

As I said, you need the right cards, but just like the other two as well.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,731 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tezzeret the schemer
    Nahiri and Vraska are sound planeswalkers but Tezz2 would reign supreme on this one.

He's got one of the best balanced mana-boosts of all the walkers (slightly more than Ajani and only rivaled by Saheeli).  He's amazing if you have any support-based blue/black deck and even if you don't he makes a self-growing creature and you can pack his deck full of control/destruction spells.  I'd say he's one of the best planeswalkers yet (though I haven't purchased the minotaur or Huatli2 so I can't weigh those in yet).
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Vrazka
    Tezz2 is great, but Bolas is greater and will maintain longevity a tad better now that energy is not in standard anymore...   Interesting contrast here: Tezz2 is king of supports, Vraska is queen of killing them...
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Vrazka
    Tezz2 can punish Vraska for killing his supports.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nahiri
    Enygma6 said:
    She targets the highest shield support.. Not the servos :P
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Enygma6 said:
    She targets the highest shield support.. Not the servos :P
    Like underhanded designs... ;)
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Vrazka
    I would personally suggest Vraska, if mostly due to her unique color combination for now. Nahiri is good, but with Kaladesh out she loses two of her most busted double-strikers, though I'd be stupid to call her weak. Whereas Tezzeret #1 problem is that he's in the color that has barely any support destruction (only that blue rare Ixalan card at present), and I'm saying this because there's currently too many ridiculously powerful supports that you must shutdown at once lest you WILL lose (even aside from Starfield lock, we still have Sandwurm Convergence, Cast Out, whatever else I can't recall right now), whereas Nahiri and Vraska have quite the options.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Vrazka
    Vraska also has an extra deck slot compared to most other walkers, since you don't need a support destruction card in the deck :)
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    but nahiri can make very good use of the loyalty supports to keep her 1st and 3rd suppports pumping up what ever creature you have
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Tezzeret the schemer
    I vote for Tezz2.

Yes Nahiri is very explosive and 1st and 3rd ability are great, but against control... 
    A little different in legacy with huf-deploy as instant one card combo. But else. 

Vraska has a unique color combo and is more control and bring support destruction as ability, but green does not need more of this.

T2 is full of control. Has full access to cycling. Bring in an alternative win condition. Can make City blessing easy with 2nd ability. And has wide mana base.

In the end: cards are more important and if you don't have the right cards, it's hard to compete even against weaker pw. 

Nahiri is very good for newer players, because she heavily relies on creatures and there are dozens of zoo creatures out  there. Easier to make a competition and fast deck.

Endgame it's t2 for me... from this three pw. 

For now i would choose H2 over Nahiri and Bolas over vraska and tezz2. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    noticed that to h2 can be a force to say the least but she is still very creature dependent if they arent on the board they might as well not be in your deck because all but one of your loyalty abilities wont work