Delay/Freeze when starting in a new PVE sub [Investigating]

Options
DeNappa
DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
I wonder if anyone else is seeing this: Whenever I first play a node in a PVE sub, the game displays the animated loading icon for a few seconds, but then freezes (loading icon isn't animated then either) for an estimated 10-30 seconds.

This is not R149 related -- I first started noticing this during either R148 or R147.

Platform iOS, which may or may not be relevant.

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have noticed the same exact thing starting around R147 or 148.  I've seen it when playing on both my iPad 3 (iOS) and Galaxy S7 Edge (Android).

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same here on Android. Freeze is about 10 seconds long.

The other thing I've noticed is it never happens on the loaner node (if there is one of those). It just happens on the first non-loaner node.

KGB
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hadn't noticed so much of a pattern, but it's definitely happening for me sometimes, too, on Android.
  • DeNappa
    Options
    Seems like I'm not alone in this, then. HAven't seen it in the DDQ though, I think. I'll keep an eye out when the new sub starts.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I get this regularly. It seems to be the first time the information pop-up with the boosted characters is shown. It affects DDQ as well for me. I don’t get the delay after the first time, but it resets and I get it again after a data push (but not every one). The worst delays occur when there is a new pop-up, e.g. advertising a film release date or a new character: I have had delays of over a minute going into DDQ when this happens.
    I am on iOS.
  • DeNappa
    Options
    Ptahhotep said:
    I get this regularly. It seems to be the first time the information pop-up with the boosted characters is shown. It affects DDQ as well for me. I don’t get the delay after the first time, but it resets and I get it again after a data push (but not every one). The worst delays occur when there is a new pop-up, e.g. advertising a film release date or a new character: I have had delays of over a minute going into DDQ when this happens.
    I am on iOS.
    I haven't seen that, myself. It may be a similar issue, though. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about entering the sub-event screen, or displaying info pop-ups. In this case I'm specifically looking at the moment just before actually playing the first match in a sub.

So, to reproduce: From the 'Story/PVE' tab -> Pick the current sub event (that you haven't yet played a match in) -> Select node to play -> Choose 'Fight' -> Choose characters, hit 'Fight' again -> hit 'Fight' once more to confirm -> Skip through story -> Loading icon shows and freezes as described -> wait......... -> match starts.

Saw this behavior again yesterday in the Thick as Thieves sub 'Scotland yard'.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I'll pass this along to the team, so they can investigate this issue.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Have the exact same freeze whenever I play the first node in a sub. I thought it was simply my device
  • DeNappa
    Options
    Okay, I wasn't sure if I had seen this correctly, but I noticed the freeze in the Venom bomb sub didnt happen until the 2nd node in the sub. The first node (the all-loaner node) loaded without delay.

But today's sub (Brooklyn Bridge) had the same. I could start the all-loaner node without a freeze, but the first time i played the node after that the freeze occurred.
  • DeNappa
    Options
    *bump*

I'm still experiencing this, it's annoying me more than it should :sweat_smile: . Any fix soon?
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I chalked it up to my wifi not being that great at certain times since it doesn't happen all the time but there are sub/nodes that do take a long time before opening.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hadn't noticed so much of a pattern, but it's definitely happening for me sometimes, too, on Android.
    I've been paying more attention since I saw this post, and it's very consistent. Every sub, the first non-loaner node takes way longer to load, and the loading animation freezes on a single icon for a good chunk of that extra time.
  • DeNappa
    Options
    Just a reminder this is still not fixed. It's my daily annoyance, now. :anguished:

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Same here. 
  • Dax317
    Dax317 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    Same... I am playing on a Kindle fire. Just so they have more information.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options

This bug is still occurring and it is actually detrimental for placement. The difference between winning a PVE is sometimes a single point. Being able to RE-enter the PVE is sometimes a 40 second delay. People without the substantial delay will have an advantage.

Samsung S5 (SM-G900V)  Android 6.0.1

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Still happening for me, as well.  I did some timing of it during Strange Sights. 

- I did door 3 on day 1, and entering the sub the first time took a total of 37 seconds: 9 seconds of the symbols flashing and 28 seconds frozen.
    - I did door 1 on day 2.  Entering the sub the first time took 22 seconds: 8 seconds of the symbols flashing by and 14 seconds frozen on Ghost's symbol (only remember this one cause I thought the irony was palpable)
    - Door 2 on day 3: Entering the sub the first time took 26 seconds: 9 seconds of symbols, 17 seconds frozen
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Since it seems to be the first node for an event (every time), I believe the delay would have something to do with placing a person's information on the sub node leader board for each particular sub event.  So it might be server side, and a memory buffer issue hardware type issue.  
    There is something called bufferbloat that occurs because of an excessively sized buffer. This occurs if the network is congested, with everyone playing at once, and the buffer is actually too large. If it is a 'first in first out' queuing type of system, there will be a delay.  The delay is caused due to the packets become queued for longer than necessary in the buffer. The delay also might only effect certain regions of users, but that would require polling of people with delays. 
  • DeNappa
    Options
    Can I bump this one again? This is still not solved, and yesterday was ridiculous; I started the first match in a sub and had to wait for about a minute for the match screen to pop up.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If this issue is still occurring for anyone, I'd suggest sending a ticket, with any additional information, to Customer Support so they can investigate.