Forum thread

Options
2»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Interesting to see all the recommendations for newer (read: less than 25 years old) comics. I'm always reader older and older stuff :dizzy:
    I was just thinking about this a little earlier. I know that, for myself, during the 80s and most of the 90s, I didn't have access to a comic shop, and picking them up from the grocery/drug store wasn't reliable enough to keep up with the ongoing arcs, and especially the crossovers. Then, by the time I did, I was really into Magic/40K, and didn't have the disposable income for comics on top of that.

I did get to go back and check out a bunch of the really early stuff when my library had a number of the Essential Marvel compilations, but they stopped getting those before they got to most of the really classic story lines.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Good thread.  I’d like to add that, for anyone interested in checking these stories out, you can read everything listed here by subscribing to Marvel Unlimited.  It’s a streaming service that grants access to almost everything Marvel has ever published for a surprisingly reasonable amount of money.

The MU app itself is only so-so, but the content found on the app is phenomenal.
    I agree, theres so much to read on there. Also worth mentioning that Amazon has some comics free with Prime. You "borrow" them, so you can only download 10 at a time I think.
    The problem I have with comics in general is that there is so much history for some characters, and it impossible to read all of it.  Thats why I really enjoyed the all new Ms Marvel, Nova, and Thor. I got to know a character basically from their first appearances. I also have trouble with the old art style, newer comics seem to be drawn with the idea that they might be read on a phone.
    In general I read what my podcasts recommend, or what my favorite podcasters write. Read a bunch of Deadpool because Gerry Duggan or Brian Posehn wrote it, and I loved the first year or so of Nerd Poker.
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Two series I love that haven't been mentioned yet:

Grant Morrison's New X-Men
    • Origin of the Black Leather Costumes used in the original movies.
    • Origin of 'Magneto was Right' T-Shirt
    • Origin of Fantomex (We'll have a Fantomex in MPQ one day, right??)
    • Oodles of classic Grant Morrison weirdness.
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther Run on Marvel Knights
    • Origin of Everett Ross (Though he's a little different than he was in the movie).
    • T'Challa as a more emotionally stable Batman who clowns the rest of the Avengers and also outsmarts the Devil.
    • Flashback framing narratives that start off infuriating and become amazing by the end of the run.
    ....hmmm now I'm texting my buddy to brainstorm potential powers for a 4* Fantomex :smile:
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    New X-Men has a lot of Emma Frost in it too, but I'm not sure if her costume is family friendly enough for MPQ...  :*<3
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just popping into the thread to say that I will be getting back into comics to read Slott writing Fantastic Four.