Statistics of token pulls

2»

Comments

• Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    So why design a game that wastes covers?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    It helps create a feeling of tension for the collecting aspect of the game. Helps drive both player engagement and spending. Some variant of the concept is pretty common in basically anything collectible.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the Devs can get $$$$ for Hero and Command Points to make sure your covers aren't wasted.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the championing mechanic, I don't think it makes much sense to keep the cover wastage system in place: they could just as easily say you can assign N points to a character's skills where N is min(number of covers, 13).

Back before championing was added, it served to draw out the end game so people wouldn't "finish" the game too quickly.  Now it is just a road block placed fairly close to the start of a character's development.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    First, this thread needs to be stickied somewhere. It’s extremely useful to help with how many pulls to save etc etc. 

Second, thank you for that simulator for starting with various levels of character. It’s so often I’m trying to get a specific character, and when the one leaves, the others are still partially covered, and I never know it’s affect on the new character.
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    So the Devs can get $$$$ for Hero and Command Points to make sure your covers aren't wasted.
    We have a winner!  There is also the gambling aspect (you may or may not get the reward you want) and there are lots of ways this game is designed to be addictive.  

This is a great read.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
     I don't think it makes much sense to keep the cover wastage system in place
    The spectre of waste is what drives players to champ ASAP, even if it means spending once in a while. Spending to buy covers, burning HP on slots to roster dupes to avoid waste, etc.
    I'd still have the drive to gather iso to champ a character if I had collected the fourteenth cover for a character.

With that said, I'm sure the beancounters have evidence that it makes money through people spending 120 CP on covers or the occasional "complete a character" H4H store offer.  It's just not clear it actually improves the game at this point.