Valkyrie - Event & Store Details (3/22/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited March 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Valkyrie is a fierce warrior, hand-picked by Odin himself to lead the Valkyrior and protect Asgard. Tough-as-nails and battle-hardened, now she's bringing her exceptional fighting skills to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Check out the brand new 4-Star Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior), and find out how you can recruit her onto your team!

VALKYRIE (ASGARDIAN WARRIOR)

4-Star Rarity (Legendary)

(Abilities listed at level 70)
Dragonfang Fury - 11 
 AP
Valkyrie unleashes a series of slashes with her sword, landing 3 separate blows of 842 damage, continuing her attack even if she downs the target. 

Bounty Hunter - 
 Passive
Valkyrie hunts down her mark and collects her bounty. At the start of the turn, if one doesn't exist, create a 5-turn Black Countdown tile targeting a random enemy. If that enemy is Downed or takes 1362 damage before it expires, remove it to gain 4 AP in your strongest color and destroy 4 AP in the enemy's strongest color. 

The Best Defense... - 
 Passive
Valkyrie protects her allies from evil the best way she knows how--by fighting back even harder! Whenever an ally takes at least 633 damage, create 2 Yellow Strike tiles of strength 53. As long as an enemy has less than 8 AP in a color, friendly matches in that color deal 172 extra damage.

RECRUIT VALKYRIE!

Valkyrie & Friends - Vault
  • Starts: 3/25/18 7am EDT
  • Ends: 3/30/18 7am EDT
  • 80 Item Vault
    • 1 Legendary Token
    • 3 4-Stars
    • 1 Random Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) cover
    • 2 Random 4-Stars from the Call for Backup missions, with an option of the following characters
      • Vulture (Adrian Toomes)
      • X-23 (All-New Wolverine)
      • Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross)
    • 22 3-Stars
      • 3 Featured
      • 19 Random
    • 54 2-Stars
      • 10 Featured
      • 44 Random
S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - Heroes for Hire
  • Starts: 3/22/18 7am EDT
  • Ends: 3/29/18 7am EDT
  • Price 7,000 Hero Points
  • Contents:
    • X-23 (All-New Wolverine)
    • Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross)
    • 16 Elite tokens
    • 6 Command Points
    • 20,000 Iso-8
Special Power Ups
  • Starts: 3/21/18
  • Ends: 4/2/18
  • Type: Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) Damage
  • Earned as Progression rewards in The Simulator (Story Event), S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, and Thick as Thieves
  • Can be purchased with Hero Points in the Boosts screen before entering a battle
  • Each stack adds 20% damage

EVENT SCHEDULE

Simulator - Story Event
  • Ends: 3/26/18 2am EDT
  • Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) in placement rewards
S.H.I.E.L.D. Training
  • Ends: 3/29/18 7am EDT
  • Rewards tokens to Simulator, random cover of Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior), and more!
Thick as Thieves - Story Event
  • Starts: 3/25/18 7am EDT
  • Ends: 3/30/18 2am EDT
  • Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) as a progression reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Valkyrie & Friends Vault
Scrapper 142 - Versus Tournament
  • Starts: 3/25/18 8am EDT
  • Ends: 3/28/18 3pm EDT
  • Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) as a progression reward
  • Rewards tokens to the Valkyrie & Friends Vault

Comments

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    I don't see the Valkyrie and Friends vault. You sure it started today at 7am EST?
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I don't see the Valkyrie and Friends vault. You sure it started today at 7am EST?
    Same here. They wrote the same thing in the Marvel.com article. They are both wrong I guess.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    I just received word that Valkyrie's vault should start on the 25th, not the 22nd. Apologies for the confusion
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    I just received word that Valkyrie's vault should start on the 25th, not the 22nd. Apologies for the confusion
    I figured that since it always starts on the day the event the character becomes essential starts.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they chose a better cover for her.. it's a small detail but this cover just does not excite me. I'm assuming this cover was chosen because the movie version looks different from the comics but MPQ has had custom covers before, like 5* Thor.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they chose a better cover for her.. it's a small detail but this cover just does not excite me. I'm assuming this cover was chosen because the movie version looks different from the comics but MPQ has had custom covers before, like 5* Thor.
    Maybe when Exiles comes out with a cover featuring the new version of Valkyrie (from another Earth-#, the blonde one from Earth-616 is still around) inspired by the MCU one, they could do a swap.  The Exiles design is physically bigger, but still closer to MCU.

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    Anyone have the values at level 270?
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Anybody know the Placement rewards of the next event, Thick as Thieves?
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks BlackBolt Rocks!
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Anyone have the values at level 270?
    (All abilities at 5 covers, level 270)

Dragonfang Fury - 11 
     AP 
    Valkyrie unleashes a series of slashes with her sword, landing 5 separate blows of 1637 damage, continuing her attack even if she downs the target. 

Bounty Hunter -  Passive 
    Valkyrie hunts down her mark and collects her bounty. At the start of the turn, if one doesn't exist, create a 5-turn Black Countdown tile targeting a random enemy. If that enemy is Downed or takes 2652 damage before it expires, remove it to gain 4 AP in your strongest color and destroy 4 AP in the enemy's strongest color. 

The Best Defense... -  Passive 
    Valkyrie protects her allies from evil the best way she knows how--by fighting back even harder! Whenever an ally takes at least 1234 damage, create 2 Yellow Strike tiles of strength 100. As long as an enemy has less than 8 AP in a color, friendly matches in that color deal 331 extra damage.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So her Bounty Hunter ability becomes harder to trigger as you level her up, but without any increase in reward?  Is that really intended?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    And let's be real, that's not THAT hard to trigger. That's five turns to trigger essentially any 4* ability for the AP generation and destruction.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Jamesh is specifically talking about Bounty Hunter.  There is no increase in the amount of AP rewarded/destroyed from lower cover levels yet it takes more damage to trigger.  Does it last longer on the board than at lower levels?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Again, that's not that different from mechanics in place for other characters. 3* Hulk, the more you level him, the higher the threshold becomes to trigger "Anger". You don't get more tiles converted until/unless you add more covers in that ability, but it gets harder to make him angry, and his countdown only lasts 1 turn regardless of coverage.

Same with Valkyrie. Covers both increase her AP generation/destruction and reduce the damage threshold. If you're sitting on a single black cover, you probably don't have much in the way of room to level her. If you're able to take her to level 200, you've either got multiple black covers, or a really unfortunate 4/1/4 distribution. Not that that's impossible, of course.  Just saying that, by and large, that's a problem that solves itself.

And...you're probably not running an undercovered Valkyrie with a 3* team. I mean, you could, but if you're running a 4* with a 3* team you're probably better off with America or Vulture as a battery that isn't reliant on the 3* to dish out the pain. Valkyrie looks better suited to run with 4s and 5s.
  • jamesh
    edited March 2018
    jamesh said:
    So her Bounty Hunter ability becomes harder to trigger as you level her up, but without any increase in reward?  Is that really intended?
    What do you mean the rewards don't increase? Her Strike tiles increase in power, likewise damage dealt. This has always been the case for these types of abilities. Examples: 3* Hulk's Anger; 3* and 4* Captain Marvel; Xpool's X-Enforcer. And anyway when you level her up, you're naturally going to use her against similarly-levelled opponents
    The Bounty Hunter power doesn't create any strike tiles.  I don't think it is the same as Deadpool's X-Enforcer: with that power, you're also getting increased damage together with the higher threshold.  With this one, it is the same AP gain/destruction as the threshold increases.

I agree that it is similar to the problems with 3* Hulk and Captain Marvel, but don't people generally consider those to be badly designed powers too?  It looks like I'll get more benefit out of Bounty Hunter if she's underlevelled and paired up with higher level characters so I can trigger the damage threshold more often.  I thought they generally wanted you to level up your characters as high as possible.
  • jamesh
    jamesh said:
    jamesh said:
    What do you mean the rewards don't increase? Her Strike tiles increase in power, likewise damage dealt. This has always been the case for these types of abilities. Examples: 3* Hulk's Anger; 3* and 4* Captain Marvel; Xpool's X-Enforcer. And anyway when you level her up, you're naturally going to use her against similarly-levelled opponents
    The Bounty Hunter power doesn't create any strike tiles.  I don't think it is the same as Deadpool's X-Enforcer: with that power, you're also getting increased damage together with the higher threshold.  With this one, it is the same AP gain/destruction as the threshold increases.

I agree that it is similar to the problems with 3* Hulk and Captain Marvel, but don't people generally consider those to be badly designed powers too?  It looks like I'll get more benefit out of Bounty Hunter if she's underlevelled and paired up with higher level characters so I can trigger the damage threshold more often.  I thought they generally wanted you to level up your characters as high as possible.
    Ah, then you should have specified that you were talking about Bounty Hunter. I assumed you meant The Best Defense.
    I did specify the Bounty Hunter ability.  Look at what you quoted.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 3k damage requirement is actually pretty easy to meet.

You have to consider that number in the context of how she will be played.

She's almost inevitably gonna be the support for 2 bigger 4*/5* chars.  I have serious doubts that She's gonna be used as the lead character of a 3* combination.

With that preface, 5 rounds to score 3k  damage is pretty trivial to the champed 4*/5* chars she will be supporting.  People will have more problems remembering to check who the bounty is actually on than meeting the damage requirements.

There will certainly be people who have to run her as the 2nd strongest char on the team infront of a 2*/3* essential,  but thats really not the best use of the char imho.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I've come to realize that relying too much on Valkyrie's bounty hunter power led me to shift my focus in attack a lot. Usually i start with killing off the nastiest opponent. Now i switched according to who had the bounty on them. Not always a wise choice, i must say.
  • jamesh
    The concern wasn't really about whether I'd be able to hit the damage threshold in five turns, but rather that I can hit it a lot quicker with an underlevelled Valkyrie.  If I'm generating/destroying AP every 1-2 turns rather than 2-3 turns, that quickly adds up over the duration of a match.

In the recent versus tournament, I had Gamora as my highest level character on the team, and it was amazing how quickly my red AP built up.  I might have been switching targets more often, but I'd quickly have a Deadly Strike ready to attack the biggest threat.  Destroying enemy red AP was a nice bonus when playing against teams with Blade as their strongest too.