Options
FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
Well then, that 2nd ability...wow.

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I just saw that. Eesh. Bring board wipes to that battle for sure.
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got it from my first Premium pack for RIX! Although, not sure how to use it outside white and black decks.
  • asm0deus
    asm0deus Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    999. 999.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gideons intervention 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Gideons intervention 
    have you tried this?? Please tell me it works :D
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    This is hot garbage. 999 Damage?!? There are so few ways to prevent that, and the AI gets to it very easily. Bolas' 40 damage was potent but survivable. Instant lose is just bad game design. 
    if it took a while to assemble like the Portal boss from the Tezzeret event I'd be a little more understanding.  But this is just rude.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's got 222 hp and basically does nothing . It's a scary ability . Don't durdle and you won't die . 
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You will if the AI gets its usual cascade in turn 2. I know this because it just happened to me.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    I knew that this would be an interesting challenge for people to figure out the puzzle. I like it because it makes you think of different strategies to win (read: not die) and that you're forced to be creative to win, which is what you want from PvE events.
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What strategy are you talking about? One cascade by the AI in turn 2 is absolutely enough to kill the player. So what kind of strategy is supposed to prevent that? Uninstall this piece of software? Yes, that certainly prevents such losses.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    How often is that happening, though? Honestly. That's happened to me with Nahiri HUF Deploy. Yeah it sucks when it happens, but it's not an everyday occurrence.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please share how to beat this thing, I'm sick of watching cascades and then dying.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bolas cycling with Faith of the Devoted, New Perspectives, and 7 cycle cards.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    River's Rebuke is your friend!  If he doesn't have supports on the ground, he won't get the city's blessing.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    River's Rebuke is your friend!  If he doesn't have supports on the ground, he won't get the city's blessing.
    The assumption that this is guaranteed needs to stop.

I beat him the first time around easily and met all 3 objectives.

The second time? He got the City's Blessing on Turn 3, before I had a chance to destroy a single support. That was while running Manglehorn, Demolish, Violent Impact, Dissenter's Deliverance, Silverclad Ferocidons, and Nissa's Defeat in Samut. That's 6 methods of destroying supports including a way to take out single shield treasure tokens every turn.

The second ability needs to toned waaaaaaay down with the AI's propensity for cascade nonsense.
  • Indymon
    Indymon Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Brakkis said:

The second time? He got the City's Blessing on Turn 3, before I had a chance to destroy a single support. That was while running Manglehorn, Demolish, Violent Impact, Dissenter's Deliverance, Silverclad Ferocidons, and Nissa's Defeat in Samut. That's 6 methods of destroying supports including a way to take out single shield treasure tokens every turn.

The second ability needs to toned waaaaaaay down with the AI's propensity for cascade nonsense.
    So was the first time “right” and the second time “wrong”?  Are all late stage nodes/objectives supposed to be accomplished “easily”?

I personally like this objective/ability as a unique type of timer on the game. Do we have bad luck sometimes?  Sure. Bad draws, bad gem layout for our colors, bad/good cascades. Take yet away the luck component and the game is a one size fits all puzzle that makes for perfect scores across the board once at been “solved.”  
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Indymon there is a reason why wizards don't print easily castable "I win" cards. As by easy I am stretching to the right type of deck not just any deck.
    Imagine a delve 12 cmc card that read "deal 20 damage to target player". There is such a thing that can counter that card in modern called Leyline of Sanctity. But if games start relying on who draws the threat or answer first you miss interactive games.
    This particular 20 damage spell example was addressed in an article at some point and why printing such a card would be unfun.

Azor's Gateway ability is no different. I love challenging decks and opponents, but when the ai cascades = you instantly lose it's starting to ruin most of the fun factor. 
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Indymon said:
    Brakkis said:

So was the first time “right” and the second time “wrong”?  Are all late stage nodes/objectives supposed to be accomplished “easily”?

I personally like this objective/ability as a unique type of timer on the game. Do we have bad luck sometimes?  Sure. Bad draws, bad gem layout for our colors, bad/good cascades. Take yet away the luck component and the game is a one size fits all puzzle that makes for perfect scores across the board once at been “solved.”  
    It's not about right or wrong. Neither time was either. This is about luck, good or bad. Succeeding at a node should not be reliant on luck. You can build to win it, you can build to overcome the objectives. But when your success at doing so is entirely dependent on whether the AI cascades or not, that takes any idea of skill away and turns the game/match into a roll of the die.

I'd rather a challenging node that I can build against, that will take some skill in how I play the cards, with some back and forth, as opposed to "Oh ****, the AI got it's 'I win' ability on Turn 2 because it cascaded the whole board". Most of the nodes in this event are designed the right way to achieve this. This one is not. Entirely because of that ability. Alter that ability and it's a good node.

The ability needs to be altered. You can't rightly fix cascading, but giving the AI an ability that just instagibs you is a poor design choice.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I disagree, i like that the encounter has a fixed timer, and that you don't have endless time.

The encounter is simple; don't let him get blesses or you die.

Nothing wrong with that really, there are lot of ways to easily avoid it.

If you manage to get out starfield+intervention you can laugh hard

By force is a card, rivers rebuke, hour of revelation, demolish, plenty of cood options, or you can cycle.

Hey, sunmare makes all supports cost extra mana too, or supreme splendor also stops him.

Its meant to be approached differently than a normal fight, and once you do it gets easy as hell.