The best thing about Marvel Puzzle Quest is...

IceHockey333
IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
How would you complete the sentence?

... the excellence of the visuals.  The artwork, the interfaces, the animations, the screens, everything about this game is very pleasing to my eye.  I work in graphic design and fine art, and it never ceases to amaze me how well they accomplish this.  Aside from the "bad art" phase of the character models for Mordo and Hobo Fist, I cannot complain about anything when it comes to the art direction and design of Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Your turn! What is the best thing about the game for you?

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    ...when you pull a Classic Legendary token and get the last remaining cover on a 5* character who is covered 5/5/2. Happened to me twice, think I might actually have squealed.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards

...it makes going number two that much more fun.
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    ...when no one tap in your bracket.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...the buzz from the climb when I  get way higher than expected before the hits roll in, or the hop that almost goes sideways, but I pull it off and come out without being hit.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    ... Alliances.

Now, the in game chat is pretty horrific, and we all know that, but given the game itself is somewhat simple in gameplay, and grindy, the interactions with others is such a draw everyday. Discussing Marvel and the game, and then everything else, the game’s simplistic gameplay has actually made it much more inclusive for everyone to play, no matter the language or age, and alliances build on that.

I would also say the artwork is unreal, and a big draw too. I love the Pokémon-style collect ‘em all nature, and the artwork helps me ‘want’ to have my top five favourite comic characters like Iron Man or Daredevil (Emma Frost, I ask for you EVERY SINGLE POLL!!). I’d add some music from The Avengers film, and it’d be even better!
  • aziraphale
    aziraphale Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    It is cheaper than most other addictions. 
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    It is actually a pick up and put down game that I don't have to pay attention to when I don't want to play it. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    For serious:
    the Marvel IP

For lulz / ire:
    not living in EST and having a day job. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    The best thing about MPQ is the M... hands down.  I just love everything Marvel.

Second for me is the collection aspect.  I just love looking at my collection, tracking it, watching it grow, etc.

And third is the strategy.  I love min-maxing and coming up with awesome teams even if the characters individually are not too awesome.  I love Sim for that.  I've been trying to make not just fun, but effective teams for the Gwens and Meh Hulks of the world (aren't people tired of playing Grocket all the time?).

I used to play Heroclix obsessively.  I would constantly think of teams and build to get the most out of **** pieces.  I then moved to a rural place without a venue within 3 hours of me.  And thus I no longer play or buy or even follow the game.  It just kills me no longer having something I was SO passionate about and connected with others over.  I get a lot of my "fixes" with MPQ (competition, collecting, connecting, team building, etc).  It's not quite as good but also not nearly as expensive or the time sink clix was, as MPQ is a much less complex game.
  • IceHockey333
    IceHockey333 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    How would you complete the sentence?

The Line community.

I know I have said this before and others have said it to, but without that App and community, I highly doubt that I would still be playing after 1386 Days. 
    The community for MPQ is massively more friendly than most other games, for sure.  Maybe it's because there is no direct alliance vs. alliance competition.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    The collection aspect of it. The game is tedious but collecting the characters is good fun. Thats the reason why I've been playing all these years now. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,182 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    - The awesome artwork

- Usage of comic covers for characters. It really helps this game to stand out from all the other Marvel games, and as a huge comic geek, it's what drew me to this game when it started, and continues to do so. In fact, I got deep into Marvel comics largely because of the comic covers used in the game

- The 3v3 format. Makes for interesting gameplay and strategies, compared to 1v1 like in Marvel Contest of Champions, which got boring very quickly

- The relative attainability of characters and goals. In MPQ, as long as you put in the effort, there's a chance of getting at least one character of each tier. Sure, lots of RNG is involved, but resources like iso, CP, and HP flow consistently if you put in a certain amount of effort to attain them. And yea, for each tier there's definitely a hump to get over, but overcoming those humps is feasible, and they feel like a product of your hard work rather than purely down to luck. Again, to compare with Contest of Champions: I never really felt like I was progressing there, no matter how much effort I put in. That - along with other things like the decidedly inferior graphics and 1v1 format - turned me off very quickly. In MPQ, you start off struggling in the prologue. Maybe you can play the first node of DDQ. Some matches here and there in PvP. If you keep plugging away, you'll be able to see yourself progressing, to the point where max progression in PvE, full clears of DDQ (including 4* Crash that you expect to win), and >575 in PvP become the norm

- Also, shoutout to my very first alliance, as well as my current one (my fourth). I only joined the former sometime in the 2017, and the latter at the start of this year. Both are full of awesome people; the former helped me transit to the 5* tier, while the latter keeps my progress going at a steady level. If you're reading this, you know who you are!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always liked the Match-3 format, but Bejeweled and such just got old too fast. MPQ does a great job of providing more depth, and as BBR mentioned, the progressive nature of the game really helps, too.

Also in contrast to Bejeweled, I like that MPQ has a defined end to each play session. Keeps me from losing track of time and spending way too long on it.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    It's Marvel, first of all, which is awesome. The graphics are bright, engaging and just look cool. I really like how you have to think about team dynamics ie how your three characters work together. It's also fun to just collect all the characters, and it's always interesting when new characters come to the game, and how the players react to them, figuring out who they work well with.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    ...not the misery of pvp.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    The best thing about mpq...is Customer Support.
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    ... the forums. I don't know what the OP did to earn a ban less than two days after starting a thread singing the praises of this game, but it gave me a good chuckle. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not having many restrictions unlike many other f2p games. 

Of course, I like Marvel characters and I get to know new characters and new series  from this game as well. New characters (to me) like Nico Minoru, Medusa, Iron Fist, Luke Cage. It prompted me to search these characters on youtube and watch their series.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not having many restrictions unlike many other f2p games. 
    This is really what kept my interest through the initial try-out period I have with most mobile games. Usually you hit that 'energy wall' and realize you can play the game for about 10 minutes a day before they restrict you through a pay gate. The more you play, the more restrictive they become (so stupid). That's usually when I check out.

But MPQ is different. The more you play and the more your roster expands, the less you have to worry about running out of energy (in this case health) until it becomes a non-issue. As a result, MPQ has received my $$$ and none of those other long-forgotten mobile games ever saw a dime from me.