Angrath, The Flame-Chained Official Thread

bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in Planeswalker Details

manablackpng Angrath, the Flame-Chained manaredpng

(At Level 60)
-1 manawhitepng | +2 manabluepng | +4 manablackpng | +4 manaredpng | -1 managreenpng 
118 HP
Creatures: 7 | Supports: 6 | Spells: 6

Angrath is a minotaur pirate that has been trapped in Ixalan ever since a Planeswalking accident led him there. Here is a breakdown of his abilities:
  • Ability 1 (9) Flaming Chain:

• Level 1: Deal 2 damage to your opponent.

• Level 2: Deal 2 damage to your opponent. Then, your opponent discards a card.

• Level 3: Deal 2 damage to your opponent and find a Treasure. Then, your opponent discards a card.

• Level 4: Deal 2 damage to your opponent and find 2 Treasures. Then, your opponent discards a card.

• Ability 2 (12) Captain's Command:

• Level 1: Gain control of target creature that costs 5 or less until end of turn. It gains Haste.

• Level 2: Gain control of target creature that costs 10 or less until end of turn. It gains Haste.

• Level 3: Gain control of target creature that costs 15 or less until end of turn. It gains Haste.

• Level 4: Gain control of target creature that costs 15 or less until end of turn. It gains Haste and “This creature is destroyed at end of turn”.

• Ability 3 (18) Fiery Demise:

• Level 1: Creates a support with: “Whenever a creature enters your opponent’s graveyard from anywhere, deal 2 damage to your opponent.”

• Level 2: Creates a support with: “Whenever a creature or support enters your opponent’s graveyard from anywhere, deal 2 damage to your opponent.”

• Level 3: Creates a support with: “Whenever a creature or support enters your opponent’s graveyard from anywhere, deal 6 damage to your opponent.”

• Level 4: Create a support with: “Whenever a card enters your opponent’s graveyard from anywhere, deal 6 damage to your opponent.”

Comments

• arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Pity that he shows up after Lost Legacy is out of Standard; would've been fun with him.

That aside, his ultimate does feel inferior to Nixilis, but I guess at least that does mean he's more manageable.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Hmmm, HP is 135 at level 60.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    he has the most epic face
  • bk1234
    I love the art they are using for the game open. It's stunning. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    is a nice pic but they cheated on his earring in the horn really? kind of wussing out for a pirate lol
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    bken1234 said:
    I agree, actually. Maybe we should petition to Wizards to have an Angrath wallpaper, both for PC and phone :D
  • morgue427
    sounds like a plan to me really, good interesting wall papers are hard to find
  • asm0deus
    asm0deus Posts: 73 Match Maker
    [arNero] said:
    Pity that he shows up after Lost Legacy is out of Standard; would've been fun with him.

That aside, his ultimate does feel inferior to Nixilis, but I guess at least that does mean he's more manageable.
    You might have to consider that the 6 damage comes from any card being put into the graveyard. Not only from opponents hand. Discard/creature kill/support destruction all deal 6 damage. Whenever an opponent casts a spell,6 damage is dealt as well. I say he is actually an upgrade from ob. He can use red cards. He can use HoD, max 30 damage if opponent has 3 creatures in play. 
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    [arNero] said:
    bken1234 said:
    I agree, actually. Maybe we should petition to Wizards to have an Angrath wallpaper, both for PC and phone :D
    https://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/featured/yfvvKn5mOA.jpg

Like that?  It's roughly wallpaper resolution (1920x1120) depending on the resolution of your desktop.  (It's actually the header image from his PW page.  Turns out the full image is hidden behind the text.)
  • morgue427
    nice works for me thanks, just got him curious what he can do honestly still trying to find out what works for him in a deck only level 20 now
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    morgue427 said:
    nice works for me thanks, just got him curious what he can do honestly still trying to find out what works for him in a deck only level 20 now
    If you've got Captain Lannery Storm, try this:

Creatures:
    Captain Lannery Storm
    Storm Fleet Swashbuckler
    Dire Fleet Neckbreaker

Spells:
    Demolish
    Desert of the Glorified
    Final Reward
    Exquisite Firecraft

Supports:
    Prying Blade
    Revel in Riches
    Trove of Temptation

Of course the captain is the engine here, but you could always switch her out with another pirate and change out the supports to Raider's Wake and some other discard stuff.
  • morgue427
    no  of course i dont have lannery lol. i Iwill see how it goes but even at 20s i am beating the 1st of the heroics so it is promising so far

• bk1234
    Here is what I learned today:

I was playing the red node of RtO (which he is AMAZING for btw) and I was down to 42 life with 3 spells. 

I cast his ult and then Slaughter Pact to kill a stack of tokens (12/12 -- 6 2/2 tokens)

It dealt damage for each token. 

The unfortunate part was it killed him before it completed Slaughter Pact, so I didn't get -10 to put me under 40 or my 4th spell. 

BUT -- definitely cool for the future -- he will be insane against Garruk or Roil / Path decks. 
  • morgue427
    it does indeed if they are keeping his 3rd that way i will have to start worrying about it when i face him in battles depending on how the ai handles his abilities, plus i will have to exploit it ruthlessly on mine soon as he is leveled a bit ;-)
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler

Thopter Squadron decks cringe in fear...

• morgue427
    oh yes and roil decks with one kill spell killing a 20/20 elemental will just about do most in i would think
  • sjechua
    sjechua Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby could you please add Angrath to the Planeswalker Index
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    sjechua said:
    Brigby could you please add Angrath to the Planeswalker Index
    Done!
  • Dkrone
    Dkrone Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I've been playing this game for awhile now and I have to say, I think this is the best PW in the game. It baffles me that I don't face him that often, meaning people aren't playing with him much. I use him for ~80% of events (where he is available) because I'm almost guaranteed to win and get the objectives. With the right cards I think he gives more control than any blue PW, including Kiora. Here's why:

1. His ultimate will destroy any token/reinforcement deck quickly. Otherwise it's simply a fast, effective life drain.

2. His second ability (when leveled up) uses an opponents creature against them then destroys it. To me, this is better than Nicol Bolas's destroy because you get to hit them with the creature first. Evil. And, when the creature is destroyed they take 6 or more to the face if you have his ultimate out. This also allows you to save some removal, giving you more control of the board.

3. His first ability isn't as useful except for discard with his ultimate out...that is, unless you have something like Storm the Vaults in play. If you have any card that works based on the number of supports you have, this is a way to pump out more supports. STV is killer with this guy. Full loyalty almost every turn once you get it on the board, as long as you keep pumping out treasures.

4. Color combination is great. Speed with Red and removal with Black. And his mana bonuses are pretty dang good. 

I don't hear much about Angrath so I wanted to talk him up some. To me, this is the most fun and useful PW in the game.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker

I've had a lot of fun with him running Urgoros, the Empty One and Raiders' Wake (along with whatever else I can grab to force a discard with). Add in his third ability, and things get really messy.

It's fun watching my opponent take 3 damage whenever a spell (I think?) goes into the graveyard and 6 damage for each creature and support. I may have those mixed up a bit, but it turns out the Empty One was what my deck was missing.