relationship between PVE/PVP Placement Rewards

Tintaiwan
Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
Hi,

Drax Covers rotated from PVE Placement, PVE progression, to PVP placement, to PvP progression.  

I just noticed this with Drax, I am sure it is commented on already.   But does this hold true all the time?

Meaning you could get at least two easy progress covers, and more if you place well...

could make difference in roster building

just clueless to this before...

TT

Comments

• charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    It happens sometimes, especially if there has been a change to a character. Recently the same thing happened with Kingpin right around the time his champ rewards started giving a 5*. 
  • Tintaiwan
    Tintaiwan Posts: 172 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    It seems like it is at least starting with America C too.  Webbed PVE has as Placement reward, then in DPVMPQ PVE as placement.

See if it continues somewhere in PVP
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Placement covers are (almost) always the progression covers in the next event. Alliance events are an exception, but otherwise that holds for both PvE and PvP. They do not always fall in the same week across both PvE and PvP, as is happening for Drax, but it's not unheard of.

It's been happening fairly often with the 3*s lately, which is easier for the Devs to arrange on the fly, I'd think. The 4* rewards in PvP are awarded in alphabetical order, new releases aside, while the 3*s don't always appear in a set order.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I decided to look back at the PVE awards from December on (anything starting after Dec 1), to see if there is any discernible pattern.  

There were 4 boss events (5 if you double count Civil War).  3 Latest characters and 2 Classic Characters were rewards.  The Classic characters were XFDP and Luke Cage.

Otherwise: 25 events to date (through the current DPvMPQ).

4 of those were New releases, leaving 21 "open" events.

12 of those PVE's rewarded Latest 4's, 9 PVE's rewarded Classics.  This is in keeping with the normal history which has weighted PVE rewards towards the Latest 12 for a year now.  ("Latest" didn't exist until then.)

The order of Classics rewarded were (listed by event start date):
    12/4/17         Moon Knight
    12/7/17         Nick Fury
    12/21/17       Spider Gwen
    1/8/18           XFDP
    1/18/18         Kingpin
    1/28/18         Invisible Woman
    2/11/18         Kate Bishop
    2/26/18         War Machine
    3/11/18        Drax

I can see no pattern from my end, except that Kingpin, Kate Bishop, and Drax all are/were announced as 5* feeders at the time they were rewards in a PVE, all around the same time of the month.  There could be some rotation of Classic character rewards based on how long ago they were given out, except that the Boss event on 12/14 gave XFDP covers about 3 weeks before he was a PVE reward. 

My best theory, based on this short list, that they try to reward less covered characters based on overall number of covers on rosters, since a lot of recent Classic rewards are middle tier and ones that a lot of players do not prioritize.  Also, of course the 5* feeder is a thing and they are making mostly Classic 4's feeders recently.

It is worth repeating from Granne's post that the PVP 4* rewards proceed in alphabetical order, only interrupted by New Releases, and has been that way for quite some time.  They even will reward a 4* that falls alphabetically not too long after their new release (as long as they are in tokens, that is).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    They even will reward a 4* that falls alphabetically not too long after their new release (as long as they are in tokens, that is).
    ...sometimes, at least. They did skip over Black Panther this cycle despite him being available in tokens...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    They just updated Drax to give a 5* so they gave the opportunity to earn more Drax covers.  I believe they did this with the other updated 4* as well
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    The answer to the OP is that they do not coordinate, typically, PVP 4* rewards and PVE 4* rewards. I sort of guess that this time around was either coincidence or they chose the PVE rewards to sync up with the PVP rewards, which led to them choosing Drax to feed Star Lord.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    They coordinate them like that on new releases. I'd guess they adapted the approach for re-works and feeder updates.