Standard Training Grounds

Options
Can we please get a Standard Training Grounds as an option? I'm tired of playing these ridiculousy overpowered legacy decks--doesn't playing legacy decks defeat the point of testing out new decks and doesn't it get old for the people playing them? I mean, it's getting old for me. How about we choose legacy or standard for Training Grounds and we're locked into that for just that day? All my main pw decks are all standard to compete in the new events. I know others have brought this up before, I can't be the only one. 

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Option to play legacy or standard in TG doesn't hurt.
    Legacy is the perfect way to test your standard deck IMO. If your standard deck wins within a legacy environment, its a good deck. People playing OP cards is just to get their 4 wins as fast as possible.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have both running always, everyday, Leave the rune rewards as is for both but drop the gold reward on each to 10. Playing both nets you just slightly more than the past but for slightly more effort.

We have the standard tg we've always wanted. The legacy still exists and _yes_ it's good to sometimes test your standard decks against legacy, just not ALWAYS. So if you are at that stage you can run the same deck against both! But you don't _have_ to anymore.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agreed.

Oh wait!! I’ve seen similar posts about this before...

Agh! Another dejavu...

Is be happy just to see this continuous argument end.
  • ILikePancakes
    ILikePancakes Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Froggy said:
    Agreed.

Agh! Another dejavu...

Most everything here is a rehash. Perhaps if you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, another option is to decline to comment. Have a pleasant day.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    Legacy is the perfect way to test your standard deck IMO. If your standard deck wins within a legacy environment, its a good deck. People playing OP cards is just to get their 4 wins as fast as possible.

I would disagree. For example, in legacy you have to be prepared for the plethora of cheap removal spells in almost every color meaning you have to adjust your creature strategy accordingly to either lots of ramp, hexproof, or lots of cheap creatures whereas for standard you have to be prepared for support based disable more so than kills spells. Means what works for legacy doesn't always work for standard.

Similarly people are more likely running different strategies in standard. In events I see a lot more attempts to tribal synergy since Ixalan cards require it, but in legacy it's more just anything goes, whatever is biggest.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    MADAFAKA said:

I would disagree. For example, in legacy you have to be prepared for the plethora of cheap removal spells in almost every color meaning you have to adjust your creature strategy accordingly to either lots of ramp, hexproof, or lots of cheap creatures whereas for standard you have to be prepared for support based disable more so than kills spells. Means what works for legacy doesn't always work for standard.

Similarly people are more likely running different strategies in standard. In events I see a lot more attempts to tribal synergy since Ixalan cards require it, but in legacy it's more just anything goes, whatever is biggest.

Legacy means "face the best thing ever" not just "face what's around now" and it's a huge difference with some things. Standard no longer has "destroy" in red for example. The things you can feel safe ignoring free up space for you to concentrate on other things. With our highly restricted number of deck slots this matters a _lot_.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Froggy said:
    Agreed.

Agh! Another dejavu...

Most everything here is a rehash. Perhaps if you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, another option is to decline to comment. Have a pleasant day.
    Was just forwarding your cause. I’ve had my own chats on this and so more commentary might help bring about awareness. I find that more useful than idly observing a problem and doing nothing at all about it (and The problem is real).

And have a nice day to you too. One that hopefully sees a TG in both formats.
  • Indymon
    Indymon Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Keep raising it till it happens. With rotation the gap between legacy and standard is even more extreme. 
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Froggy said:
    Froggy said:
    Agreed.

Agh! Another dejavu...

Was just forwarding your cause. I’ve had my own chats on this and so more commentary might help bring about awareness. I find that more useful than idly observing a problem and doing nothing at all about it (and The problem is real).

And have a nice day to you too. One that hopefully sees a TG in both formats.
    I've noticed this same problem at work, and it's been going on for years. Someone brings up a problem, other people chime in with their solutions but nothing gets done. Very frustrating. At work I've figured out the problem is that the solutions don't fit the scheme as management sees it, either by being cost-prohibitive or because of the perceived difficulty in setup and/or implementation. So they don't do anything, hoping that someone will come along someday with an answer they CAN live with, and if that doesn't happen they know that eventually people will either drop the issue and let it go, or the problem will be changed due to other circumstances and it will become a non-issue. And in the meantime it keeps continually being brought up and rehashed, over and over.

I wonder if that's what's going on here? Perhaps D3/Oktagon sees trying to set up 2 different types of TG as being too time (cost) prohibitive to be worth it, considering the way the release schedule has been lately, or perhaps it might invite another whole squadron of bugs to be visited upon us rewriting the code and creating a whole new TG interface. Either way, this issue doesn't seem to have an easy solution judging by the way it keeps dragging on...
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think they know that if they make either 2 training grounds (1 std) or one with a choice, we’ll all be happy for 5 minutes then start complaining about something else :smile:
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think they know that if they make either 2 training grounds (1 std) or one with a choice, we’ll all be happy for 5 minutes then start complaining about something else :smile:
    accurate.  I'm pretty sure a quest of pleasing the entire mtgpq d3 community is an impossible task. ;)
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So then they will have to fix the next problem. Doesn't make this complaint invalid.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    MADAFAKA said:

Thank you! I've been arguing this point for awhile. Well said
  • FindingHeart8
    Options

So then they will have to fix the next problem. Doesn't make this complaint invalid.
    I just hope the complaints don't get so excessive to where they just decide to stop listening to us entirely.

Let's be honest here, while we do supply Octagon with (hopefully valuable) feedback as a sample population.  We are not elected representatives of the mtgpq community, nor are we the majority of players.  If all of us suddenly decided to stop playing, the game would continue on without us just fine.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't agree with all of the proposed suggestions ,even from fellow coalition mates. That's why polls are important. This one I do believe would improve the game if it was implemented  and is in-line with the original idea for Training Grounds.

Besides, they already ignore plenty of our suggestions. I think they are used to it :D
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    I don't agree with all of the proposed suggestions ,even from fellow coalition mates. That's why polls are important. This one I do believe would improve the game if it was implemented  and is in-line with the original idea for Training Grounds.

Besides, they already ignore plenty of our suggestions. I think they are used to it :D
    I hope you're right.  I'd hate to see voices expressing serious issues get drowned out by many petty-inconvenience complaints
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We just have to keep bringing this up (and the 12 hours after the last charge idea) until they listen.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We just have to keep bringing this up (and the 12 hours after the last charge idea) until they listen.
    The funny thing is they already have listened (to this at least).  It was announced several Q&As ago that they were working on this, but it was a low priority because of the rush to bring out the new sets.  I'm sure we'll be getting more information relatively soon