Why bother trying to stick to the Race for Orazca theme?

Options
Jonster78
Jonster78 Posts: 55 Match Maker
 A bit frustrated as user as trying to set up a merfollk deck on one of the nodes that tells you that Merfolk get +1/+1 for each spell you cast., only to find out that the event  extra points has set up Anti-magic.  Why bother even with a theme at that point? Just bring your good stuff and go to town, don't worry if it is not a pirate or a vampire or a merfolk or a dinosaur.  It's a joke. 

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's pretty much what I did last time. 
  • Bullvinne
    Bullvinne Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    I went for tribal on all nodes and lost 2/5 nodes and missed 3 objectives on the 3 I did win.

I am going to tweek my decks for the second set of nodes, but if that also fails to get good results I am dropping the tribal stuff and going for competitive wins/cycling
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I _want_ the themes to work, I'd prefer the objectives get _completely_ dropped than run again as they are, it'd be better with zero objectives.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I just wrote up something about this on another thread. I completely agree. There's no point in trying to make the theme work, what with the rewards being as large as they are. The current EP will only be around for 2 weeks (less, now!), so there's a lot more riding on a perfect score right now.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really think the issue is the secondaries.  If they were tribal objectives (think Terror in the Shadows secondaries) the themes would be not just viable, but vital.  Then we'd actually see merfolk spell decks and pirate treasure decks like they want us to.

With the current stupid and annoying objectives (even with their nerf to be easier), there is no reason to play any themed strategies at all.
  • Bullvinne
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Even after revamping I did not get great results from tribal themed decks on the second set of charges. I am currently 53/90.

Time to go to Cycling and HUF/Approach or HUF/Inferno Jet decks where able
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jonster78 said:
     A bit frustrated as user as trying to set up a merfollk deck on one of the nodes that tells you that Merfolk get +1/+1 for each spell you cast., only to find out that the event  extra points has set up Anti-magic.  Why bother even with a theme at that point? Just bring your good stuff and go to town, don't worry if it is not a pirate or a vampire or a merfolk or a dinosaur.  It's a joke. 
    they should go back to Avacyn's Madness style objectives like:

+2: Take 20 or less damage during this battle.

+1: Take 45 or more damage during this battle.

• Mburn7
    Options

I prefer Terror in the Shadows style objectives, but these would be fine too
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

I prefer Terror in the Shadows style objectives, but these would be fine too
    either is an improvement really
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Remember that rix and xln are just for a month. F2p players were usually not able yet. To build decent collection (especially having on mind that good tribe cards are in mythic slot). I wouldn't mind switching to tribes in few months. 
  • Bullvinne
    Options
    Ok so I went away from tribal on all nodes except Blue (my saheeli Pirates deck does well there) and switched to 3 cycling decks and one HUF + Inferno Jet deck and I won all nodes and only missed a single objective so a near perfect set of nodes. At least I should be able to finish out decent now that I am down 39 ribbons testing out tribal

1st set of nodes: Tribal decks - 21/45 ribbons
    2nd set of nodes: Revamped Tribal Decks, still didnt do well - 53/90 ribbons
    3rd set of nodes: Went away from tribal decks, near perfect round - 96/135

Tribal in general is just not competitive unless they change the objectives to be Tribal based objectives. Otherwise its just going to be Cycle decks for the forseeable future in RtO.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wan to point out as well for the black node, your vampires get plus attack when the enemy is damaged. However, rather than have the special support deal damage to the opponent on your turn (and you on theirs) and thus enabling this cool perk for vamps, it's the opposite, making it literally meaningless except to give you less time in which to complete the ribbon. Even with this, I still pushed Sorin vamps (with what I have) and discovered something. Swinging with Sanctum seeker, when he pings the opponent it doesn't buff my vampires. Why is this not taken into account, when you actively want people to play the new vampires on this node?

Agreed with you that they shouldn't have made the ribbons less difficult. They should have focused them for the special supports on the battlefield.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    I wan to point out as well for the black node, your vampires get plus attack when the enemy is damaged. However, rather than have the special support deal damage to the opponent on your turn (and you on theirs) and thus enabling this cool perk for vamps, it's the opposite, making it literally meaningless except to give you less time in which to complete the ribbon. Even with this, I still pushed Sorin vamps (with what I have) and discovered something. Swinging with Sanctum seeker, when he pings the opponent it doesn't buff my vampires. Why is this not taken into account, when you actively want people to play the new vampires on this node?

Agreed with you that they shouldn't have made the ribbons less difficult. They should have focused them for the special supports on the battlefield.
    On a related note, I pulled and put Paladin of Atonement in my deck for that node, and the one life I lose at the start of my turn isn't triggering the creature to get +1/+1

Seems some of the interactions aren't functioning properly.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    @wereotter they have stated that the start of turn life loss will not trigger vampires getting stronger from life loss.  
    The Sanctum Seeker is weird, but probably a result of them differentiating between "lose life" and "take damage" for the first time ever
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    @wereotter they have stated that the start of turn life loss will not trigger vampires getting stronger from life loss.  
    The Sanctum Seeker is weird, but probably a result of them differentiating between "lose life" and "take damage" for the first time ever
    I'm not referring to the general buff to vampires as a result of the start of turn life loss, Paladin of Atonement is supposed to get +1/+1 every time I lose life if there are 8 or more white or black gems in play. I've never seen him buff himself from the start of turn damage on that node. The card does specifically say lose life as opposed to take damage, so I would excuse it if that were the case, but it's not.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think actually changin the objectives would take longer for them to do and the "easier" objectives was their quick fix, but hopefully they are listening and workign on it in the background and I think they are....
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I didn't. My W:L ratio isn't any worse or better for it. The objectives don't match the gimmicks so there's really no incentive. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had a lot of fun building tribal. I actually G3 and I only ever used him once -- in the event which he was required -- and Angrath -- I'm at -8 with one node left, which is generally the ballpark I score in. 

I think it's cool. Still hate the red node objective, just because it's not fun -- but everything else has been challenging and interesting. 
  • ElimGarak
    ElimGarak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    I'd like to have your problems :-D, I had 8 app-crashes on fight-startup so far