Forum thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum post.

Comments

• SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2018
    This is actually a really good idea. If you want/need to be truly free-to-play, you stick the end times that are given. But, if you are willing to pay (or at least save up HP as a F2P), you can buy yourself some occasional flexibility.

There are probably a fair amount of edges to be ironed out to prevent someone from exceeding optimal score, to settle/prevent ties, etc. but I like the overall concept a lot.

Competing for PVE placement can be fun, but, I have to stay up late or get up early for any slice to work for me to really compete, I feel ridiculous when I stay up late/get up early to simply play a mobile game in a specified time window so I've pretty much stopped doing it... it's just not a sustainable behavior day after day. I'd gladly pay some HP to, for example, be able to hit my end grind while I'm waiting in a doctor's office on a particular day.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ugh... No thanks.  If they added PvE shields that might be the straw to get me to stop playing all together.  I'd like to see PvE improved not brought down to PvPs level.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Really had to push the button... lol

However i like the idea to pick own times from time to time. Especially with 7 day events, 1 particular time slot each day can be troublesome.
    Possible downside would be losing the “playing chicken” part of the end grind. Assuming we get the HoD no-tap version of pve in the near future. (With tapping it would not work anyway, with opposition knowing precise goal...)

on the other hand, that would only be problematic for he who uses it, so wouldnt entirely influence others in the bracket..
  • Smart80
    I remember, but not sure if those exploits are helping your cause. With that in mind, they probably might not wanna temper with such a thing?
    Seeing DST screw ups in the past with healing times as well, its not d3 area of expertise.
    That being said, if they could make it work, i think you are on to something.

Another idea could be to switch things around like they do once a week in pvp. Alter end times from event to event... I prefer fixed times, but that could cater to all, every few events?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    "PvE shields" LOL

Nah, more like ....

C'mon, man, stop trolling. Derailing threads over complaints about having no control over the schedule in a scheduled game, and your reaction to a suggestion that you be offered a measure of control is, "I QUIT!" ??? :D 

Push the button. You know you want to. :smiley:
    That button costs money.  You're suggesting that rather than fix the problem they allow people who are hurt by their problematic system have to pay to keep up with those who aren't.  Why would that appeal to me?   Why would I want to pay the company to fix the problem they put me into?  
  • Smart80
    edited March 2018
    broll said:
    "PvE shields" LOL

Nah, more like ....

C'mon, man, stop trolling. Derailing threads over complaints about having no control over the schedule in a scheduled game, and your reaction to a suggestion that you be offered a measure of control is, "I QUIT!" ??? :D 

Push the button. You know you want to. :smiley:
    That button costs money.  You're suggesting that rather than fix the problem they allow people who are hurt by their problematic system have to pay to keep up with those who aren't.  Why would that appeal to me?   Why would I want to pay the company to fix the problem they put me into?  
    Because their global structure doesnt perfectly tailor made fit you?
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I just want to chime in that this sounds like an AWFUL idea. Having a scheduled end time makes sense for a PvP tournament, and the PVP tournament end times seem to be much better spaced for times that people might actually be playing. There's also less incentive for players to spend large chunks of scheduled time on a daily basis playing mass sequential games in versus.

Meanwhile, on the allegedly "casual" story aspect of the game, players who are not willing/able to play ~2-3 hours solid of sequential games before and after the rollover time every single day are disadvantaged in placement rewards, which are some of the best possible rewards available? And the proposed fix for this utter nonsense is for me to spend more of the currency which is most valuable to me, in the least supply, and just shifts the badly-timed end bracket?

I'd rather see the story time brackets get fixed (or removed entirely) than be given the option to pay more in-game currency (which I'm sure would cost many players real currency, but there's no way I'm gonna chip in) for a band-aid to that broken system. Gonna take some dev time either way? Fix the underlying problem.
  • Smart80
    Jwallyr said:
    I just want to chime in that this sounds like an AWFUL idea. Having a scheduled end time makes sense for a PvP tournament, and the PVP tournament end times seem to be much better spaced for times that people might actually be playing. There's also less incentive for players to spend large chunks of scheduled time on a daily basis playing mass sequential games in versus.

Meanwhile, on the allegedly "casual" story aspect of the game, players who are not willing/able to play ~2-3 hours solid of sequential games before and after the rollover time every single day are disadvantaged in placement rewards, which are some of the best possible rewards available? And the proposed fix for this utter nonsense is for me to spend more of the currency which is most valuable to me, in the least supply, and just shifts the badly-timed end bracket?

I'd rather see the story time brackets get fixed (or removed entirely) than be given the option to pay more in-game currency (which I'm sure would cost many players real currency, but there's no way I'm gonna chip in) for a band-aid to that broken system. Gonna take some dev time either way? Fix the underlying problem.
    I think its just play as now, but if you wont be online during one of the subs, it could give option to grind few hours earlier, for top points..
  • Smart80
    I know, but whatever the reason would be for pvp, it works quite well I think.

But when someone reminded me, how bad this could be, the event after new release, I gave up on the idea.

Anyway, its probably easier to get used to slightly inconvenient end time, than not being sure what times we’ll get for the next one..