When Kaladesh goes away

Options

Comments

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's crazy how many staple cards are going bye-bye. At least red is potentially getting a bad replacement for LR in Storm Fleet Swashbuckler.
    Mburn7 said:
    Thuran said:

But it could be worse; it could be Ob nixilis losing lost legacy
    Lol

I find this incredibly funny.  Kaladesh was panned as a horrible set for weeks before and after its release, and now everyone is super sad to see it go.

I will definitely miss my Rashimi loop decks (remember when we thought she was trash too?), and my Solemn Recruit abuse, and my Dovin Energy deck that worked just fine with none of the energy mythics.

But this is good for the game.  Most infinity decks will no longer work, and the game's overall power level is going way down.  I look forward to seeing matches last longer than 4 rounds now.
    Thing is, KLD was panned because we had SOI and I don't recall if we knew that SOI and company were going away at the time. Lost Legacy will be missed now because we already lost BtB.

I am glad to see Rashmi and Baral go but I'm not really looking forward to games taking way longer. This game already requires tons of time to be competitive and the new events look to be even longer. XLN PvP is 5 nodes with objectives that make for long games and RIX PvE is 5 nodes with potentially long, drawn out games on the later nodes and 'boss' fights. Mobile games are meant to be relatively fast.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We all get over it and actually it will be nice to see a new standard, we just don't know how it will evolve yet. But I'm still happy about any change. And KLD/AET has been around forever.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:

I am glad to see Rashmi and Baral go but I'm not really looking forward to games taking way longer. This game already requires tons of time to be competitive and the new events look to be even longer. XLN PvP is 5 nodes with objectives that make for long games and RIX PvE is 5 nodes with potentially long, drawn out games on the later nodes and 'boss' fights. Mobile games are meant to be relatively fast.
    I disagree that slowing down games is a bad thing.  You are correct that mobile games should be fairly fast, but every match ending in <5 turns is a bit ridiculous.  And besides, those matches still take 10-15 min because of how long the looping takes.

MTG is, at its best, an epic, drawn out war.  When the meta shifts to incredibly fast wins (such as when Infect was in), it loses a lot of its draw (which is why everyone hates infect).

MTGPQ should be similar.  Back when I first started (midway through Zendikar) matches took a while.  You really had to be strategic with your plays and hand to win (although that could also just be because my collection was awful).  I look forward to the game returning to that, and the new combo-heavy cards Oktagon is releasing look like a step in the right direction
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TomB said:
    I'll really miss my Lightning Runner... :'(
    I think i'll'just cry with my lightning runner, rishkars expertise and gonti's'heart clutched to my chest

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    It's crazy how many staple cards are going bye-bye. At least red is potentially getting a bad replacement for LR in Storm Fleet Swashbuckler.
    Mburn7 said:
    Thuran said:

But it could be worse; it could be Ob nixilis losing lost legacy
    Lol

I find this incredibly funny.  Kaladesh was panned as a horrible set for weeks before and after its release, and now everyone is super sad to see it go.

I will definitely miss my Rashimi loop decks (remember when we thought she was trash too?), and my Solemn Recruit abuse, and my Dovin Energy deck that worked just fine with none of the energy mythics.

But this is good for the game.  Most infinity decks will no longer work, and the game's overall power level is going way down.  I look forward to seeing matches last longer than 4 rounds now.
    Thing is, KLD was panned because we had SOI and I don't recall if we knew that SOI and company were going away at the time. Lost Legacy will be missed now because we already lost BtB.

Right. KLD was scorned for myriad reasons:

-Significantly lower overt power levels than SOI/EMN
    -More intriciate mechanical synergies that were hard to enable and/or leverage
    -No Standard environment, meaning even if you had energy enablers, most of which were gated away, they were still going to fail to keep up with the overpowered meta

It's hard to blame everyone for being initially disappointed. There were a lot of powerful cards, but we had to rip off the band-aid to see them. If we didn't have Standard, a lot of the cards we're now sad to lose would barely be missed.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When Kaladesh goes away, everyone will be playing Cycling decks again.

Which, unless the AI got real smart, means a lot more free wins for everyone.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:

I disagree that slowing down games is a bad thing.  You are correct that mobile games should be fairly fast, but every match ending in <5 turns is a bit ridiculous.  And besides, those matches still take 10-15 min because of how long the looping takes.

MTG is, at its best, an epic, drawn out war.  When the meta shifts to incredibly fast wins (such as when Infect was in), it loses a lot of its draw (which is why everyone hates infect).

MTGPQ should be similar.  Back when I first started (midway through Zendikar) matches took a while.  You really had to be strategic with your plays and hand to win (although that could also just be because my collection was awful).  I look forward to the game returning to that, and the new combo-heavy cards Oktagon is releasing look like a step in the right direction
    I agree, but like madwren said, when you are dealing with events that have tons of nodes it becomes a chore. There needs to be better balance between game length, event length, and event progression rewards requirements. The argument for more nodes and games is always so that new players can reach progression more easily because they will have more chances if they lose a lot. Simple solution, lower the requirements for top progression rewards. Players will still play the game.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The issue was that kld/aer cards which were really good was in mythics slot and without crafting and elite pack most of us could only dream about abusing them. Still remember my enjoyment when I opened boomship ;)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Baral! 

@Mainloop25 What is even more crazy to me is that I remember clearly when he was released for sale and the chaos that resulted with his first incarnation in the forums. Almost like it was yesterday. haha
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I won't be too sad to see the change.  I never got lucky and packed any good mythics aside from black/blue support control cards like Marionette Master, Syndicate Trafficker, Herald of Anguish, Padeem (he was super lucky though as I got him from a free 1-card booster).  Was a lot of fun with Tezz 2 for a while but got tiresome.

I just hope the card rebalancing doesnt ruin the fun with the legacy cards.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    baral will be my most missed one honestly use him in my bolas imminent doom deck clockwork colossus is another and no heart or kiran for my rai deck
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I have leaned heavily on the big colorless blockers over the last year. Metalworks Colossus and Heart of Kiran are invaluable when it comes to completing objectives.   They act as both creature removal and DPS which allows you to focus your deck on quickly obtaining objectives.  They also synergize remarkably well with fabricates reducing the casting cost of MWC and MWC in turn crewing HoK.
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’ll miss having reasonable and affordable vehicles for Saheeli.
  • morgue427
    Options
    vehicles was always kind of ehh i thought a few gems of course lile aethershere harvester and smugglers copter and the mythics of course.> also loved the mechanic behind it but it just never got expanded on.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Personally I have leaned heavily on the big colorless blockers over the last year. Metalworks Colossus and Heart of Kiran are invaluable when it comes to completing objectives.   They act as both creature removal and DPS which allows you to focus your deck on quickly obtaining objectives.  They also synergize remarkably well with fabricates reducing the casting cost of MWC and MWC in turn crewing HoK.
    This is soooo true! :'(
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was wanting more interactivity in games, not necessarily longer games but more turns. As was pointed out the loop decks won in a short number of turns but each turn took ages and had tons of spells and things, whereas you could fit in 10 turns of back and forth playing creature battles in the same time.

We aren't necessarily arguing against each other... You might have to play more turns but it might _still_ be faster in terms of actual time.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tell you, Kaladesh being spontaneously gone is really challenging my deck building. Amazing how much of a crutch some of those cards were. =)
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One thing for sure, Saheeli will be crying due to Skysovereign (and to a slightly lesser extent, Heart of Kiran) leaving.

Eliminate the Competition will be missed too for being a potential 1-sided wipe, even if costly (at least Sarkhan, Bolas and Angie still have Hour of Devastation), and most importantly, anti-hexproof. Doomfall is nevertheless a strong replacement still though.

But I am glad with Doublestrike Nahiri getting a strong nerf due to two of her strongest 6-mana doublestriker leaving.
  • morgue427
    Options
    yep hating it also no baral crippled my bolas deck badly time to go back to the drawing board