MMR question

BiffQJ
BiffQJ Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
Not sure if this the right place, so please correct me if I’m wrong. 

I am starting off in 4* land (10 champed) right now, and definitely nowhere near 5*. That being said, I do have most 5* characters rostered, and a few with some halfway decent amount of covers. (1/4/4 Gambit and 2/2/3 Spidey being the best) Right now i limit my 5*s to level 300, but I was wondering if that was ok. Could I bring them up higher without totally messing up my MMR? How high is too high? Thanks for any advice I could get. 

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    What level are your highest 4* at ?
    Back when I was playing 4* I was able to level 2  5*s to about 350 without any noticeable impact to MMR. But my 4* were around lvl 290 at that point 
    Edit : that being said I still wouldn't recommend using them in pvp , mostly just pve . Under covered low level 5* are easy to be at and you'll be targeted more often if you bring tgem into battle 
  • BiffQJ
    Thanks for the response. My highest 4* is Captain Marvel at 277. 

And I definitely wasn’t going to use my 5*s in PVP. I’m really just thinking about making some of the PVE essentials a bit easier. 
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    I would say you are probably safe taking just 1 or 2  to 330 , but you might want to wait until your 4* are a bit stronger to go beyond that 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally advise not leveling 5*s past the boosted 4* levels you get. If you’re highest 4*s are 277 the boosted levels are probably around 300 meaning the stopping point your at is probably safest. Going above that will invite other people with similarly boosted 4* as well as unbalanced rosters where their 5*s are levelled far higher than their 4*s. Wether opening up to those kind of players is acceptable to you is a judgment call based on your skill levels and which characters you have at high strength 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once I levelled my Gambit over 370, I started seeing more 5* teams in PvP. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I used a lv 360 OML for months without seeing 5* MMR.  Whether it's safe to do more than one, I don't know.  I champed my OML before I brought any other 5* above 300.
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2018
    With my highest character being a level 178, I am still regularly steamrolled by people with several L300-330 5*'s that have a low score (I have a 600+ score) for the current event.

It makes me think that the game just adds your highest 3 level characters to your current score, and matches you up with people around you. So if my score is 600 and I have 3 characters in the 170's my score would be 600+178+176+174 = 1128. And I get attacked by someone "catching up" with a score of 200 that have several 5*'s at 300: 200+330+330+330 = 1190

It makes reaching for 800 to get the 3* impossible without shield hopping, even at SLC6. Whenever I push for 800 and get over 700, I am immediately attacked by *many* people that are way, way out of my weight class.

The fact that in SLC6 I get attacked by people with full rosters of champed 5* heroes (and again, my higest characters are low-champed 3*) means MMR is a joke in this game. Are the rules for matchups spelled out anywhere?

What's the point of playing in SLC6 if I'm going to run into these guys?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    cschwinge said:
    With my highest character being a level 178, I am still regularly steamrolled by people with several L300-330 5*'s that have a low score (I have a 600+ score) for the current event.

It makes me think that the game just adds your highest 3 level characters to your current score, and matches you up with people around you. So if my score is 600 and I have 3 characters in the 170's my score would be 600+178+176+174 = 1128. And I get attacked by someone "catching up" with a score of 200 that have several 5*'s at 300: 200+330+330+330 = 1190

It makes reaching for 800 to get the 3* impossible without shield hopping, even at SLC6. Whenever I push for 800 and get over 700, I am immediately attacked by *many* people that are way, way out of my weight class.

The fact that in SLC6 I get attacked by people with full rosters of champed 5* heroes (and again, my higest characters are low-champed 3*) means MMR is a joke in this game. Are the rules for matchups spelled out anywhere?

The only rule we know for sure is that your chosen SCL doesn't affect your matchups. You'd be matched against the same guys whether you chose SCL 1 or 9. The SCL only affects the placement Awards you are going for - both what you get and what competition you have.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I'd say it all depends on how much you want to do PVP. Levelling your 5* will make matchups there harder. For PVE on the other hand, it's a delight to use 5*. The improved hitpoints and more important the better powers and damage makes PVE so much faster.
    I see a lot of people in the PVE brackets i play however with very decently covered 5* which they keep at lvl 255. Where's the fun in that?

• Killabee
    Killabee Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I searched high and low for the same answer once. I can confidently say, leveling one 5* to 370 did not change my mmr at all. And if you had to level one, i'd go gambit since he's so awesome on pve, it allowed me to play scl9 confidently with of course hod and dpvmpq being a huge challenge. The constant iso crunch did not give me the opportunity to level up 2 5* to 370, so I have no experience in that. Hope that helps. 

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    MMR doesn't make any sense and I've tried to make sense of it but I just can't. My room looks like a crime scene investigation of an obsessed cop trying to figure it out. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    cschwinge said:

If it was still possible for you to compete on cl1 then you'd still get attacked by bigger rosters once you get past a certain point. You may have inched too close to the top 5-10 and it put a big target on you. Hell I remember at the very start of one event for win-based I went and did a ton of wins in cl7, which put me in the 400s and top 5 in my bracket, and then I just got a huge rush of attacks. 
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Bear in mind mmr affects who you can see, not who can see you. If you use your 5 stars at any time during an event, you then become visible to other 5 stars even if they are at base level
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Quebbster said:
    cschwinge said:

The only rule we know for sure is that your chosen SCL doesn't affect your matchups. You'd be matched against the same guys whether you chose SCL 1 or 9. The SCL only affects the placement Awards you are going for - both what you get and what competition you have.
    So in general its going to be harder to place t50, t10, etc in scl7 than scl 5 or 6 correct?
  • BiffQJ
    spectator said:
    Bear in mind mmr affects who you can see, not who can see you. If you use your 5 stars at any time during an event, you then become visible to other 5 stars even if they are at base level
    Wait, does that mean if I use a 5 Star in PVE it also shows up in PVP? Or just within the same event?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jrlrma said:
    Quebbster said:
    cschwinge said:

So in general its going to be harder to place t50, t10, etc in scl7 than scl 5 or 6 correct?
    Yes, especially as rosters who obtain a certain S.H.I.E.L.D rank get locked out of SCL6 and below.
  • DAZ0273
    cschwinge said:

It is worth bearing in mind that the 5* is in a completely different tier to 4* and below.  A level 300 5* can be obtained with a 1/1/1 build. So those players are not really necessarily high end players even if they may be higher than you. I come across rosters like this quite often on my climb (I have around 16 champed 4*)  and when you check you find they are really 3* players with a few 5* over levelled.  I would genuinely be surprised if champed 5* rosters were hitting you.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Yes, especially as rosters who obtain a certain S.H.I.E.L.D rank get locked out of SCL6 and below.
    Currently this is only applicable to Story Mode, not Versus Mode.
    No, that’s backwards. Any player can select any scl in Story. PvP is where you get locked into SCL6 +.
  • DAZ0273
    OJSP said:
    bluewolf said:
    No, that’s backwards. Any player can select any scl in Story. PvP is where you get locked into SCL6 +.
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

I think when it was announced there was some confusion over whether they were talking about it applying to Story mode to be fair.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    OJSP said:
    bluewolf said:
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

I think when it was announced there was some confusion over whether they were talking about it applying to Story mode to be fair.
    I agree, there was confusion at first, so I was trying to help clarify.  Sorry if it came off brusquely.  There is a lot of game knowledge that is hidden or difficult to figure out, like....MMR.