Name changes galore

Daiches
Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
can @Brigby please enlighten us why CS is changing so many IGNs today? These are players that had the same inoffensive name for years and today there's a whole swath of names being changed.
You do realize that this is a social game first and foremost and name recognition is very important in game, right?

Comments

• actuaryal
    actuaryal Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Please change Actuaryal to “Definitively not Actuaryal”. In seriousness I agree name changes should be very rare. 
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    If we are changing names, any chance you can change DarthDevo's IGN. I find it highly inappropriate!! Changing it to DarthDevo would work I suppose..
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    My user name is "sambrookjm" but it's actually pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove"

You're a very silly man and I'm not going to talk to you any more.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    My user name is "sambrookjm" but it's actually pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove"

Oh, you're no fun any more.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I would imagine if someone reports a name as offensive, CS will probably change it.  Perhaps an overzealous player has gone on a crusade to clean up mpq user names.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm kind of surprised anything remotely offensive manages to get through, given that when I set up an alt account, it wouldn't let me name it "TPF Classic" because that contained a forbidden word.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm kind of surprised anything remotely offensive manages to get through, given that when I set up an alt account, it wouldn't let me name it "TPF Classic" because that contained a forbidden word.
    Short for Toilet Paper Flinger?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    Short for Toilet Paper Flinger?
    Nah, it's for Tiny Purple Fishes, from the Cream song Tales of Brave Ulysses. It's also part of my main account name with no problem. "Classic" was the word it had a problem with.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    At least I know there isn't a bullet with my name on it because I'm Yarzo Spatenfloot!
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    They had no problem with my name... at least I didn’t have to show my degree certificates to prove my qualifications!
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

Oh, you're no fun any more.
    Can you at least give me my proper nose back?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know how my name passed inspection. I mean, obviously, tinykitty isn't allowed on the forums right? 
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nah, it's for Tiny Purple Fishes, from the Cream song Tales of Brave Ulysses. It's also part of my main account name with no problem. "Classic" was the word it had a problem with.
    Well, if i’m going to have a song stuck in my head the rest of the day, I could do a lot worse than that one... :)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    What does tinykitty stand for? I think it represents more than one word. When I try to substitute it for offensive words when I read others' posts, it makes sense sometimes.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    They probably have a list of forbidden words and any user name that contains a forbidden word gets rejected automatically. Then when people complain about user names that got through the filter an actual person looks at it and determines if it is out of line or not.
    What does tinykitty stand for? I think it represents more than one word. When I try to substitute it for offensive words when I read others' posts, it makes sense sometimes.
    The devs decided to use it as the standard replacement for any filtered word. So if you type [censored], [donteventhinkaboutit] or [ohnoyoudont] it ends up as tinykitty, tinykitty and tinykitty.
    Why tinykitty? Because whoever was in charge found it amusing. There's another word for a small cat that people tend to take offense at after all...

One of my alliance mates got his user name changed by the way since it was apparently a reference to a sexual maneuver. He had no idea, neither did anyone else in the alliance. So thanks to whoever reported the name as offensive we all learned something new!
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    nah....