Defensive Teams

Waddles_Pines
Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
A few questions:

1)  Let's say you use 3x lvl 270 characters, then you switch to another team of 3x lvl 275 characters.  Will your defensive team automatically switch to the 275 characters?  Or will it keep the first team since the 2 are close in strength.
2)  Has anyone figured the level threshold for the defensive team to switch?  and is there anyway to go back to a lower leveled defensive team?

Based on RNG my highest level characters aren't exactly the makings of a good defensive team.  They're good on offense, but blah defensively.  Just trying to figure out how to play PVP smarter.  

If any of you are in active Line groups and have knowledge of what the game sets as your defensive team, your input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    It’ll go to the 275 team.  I don’t know the exact algorithms used to figure it out but 5 levels is close enough for 275 team to show, but would switch back to 270 if you used that again after using the 275.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Generally speaking, the last team you won a match with is the one that shows. In your case you’d have to win a match with your 270s to leave them out as a defensive team, but there’s no way that 5 levels per character is enough to make the anti-cupcake AI trigger.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Thanks LoA and Rod.  My conundrum is that my roster is spread out between 270 and 300ish.  Just trying to break the monotony by using different teams (medusa/grocket/gamora is fast and all, but a lil boring after awhile) and don't want to get stuck with a low level defensive team.  But, it what both of you say holds true, then basically whatever teams I trot out in the 280's-290's should come down to which team I used last.  270 to 300 might be too much of a difference... Thanks again.  
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    270 to 300 might be too much of a difference...
    Nah, it isn't. Jumping a tier down (from 2x 5* champs to 2x 4* champs, or from 4* champs to 3*) usually makes the stronger defensive team stick. Levels seem to be much less of an issue in that case, I'm pretty sure you could go from 370s to 270s without a problem. If your last winning team is of similar strength or stronger than the previous defensive team, they become your new defensive team... basically what Rod said. Going "up" is never an issue.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Thanks Piro.  My problem is all my annoying "defensive" teams are low leveled (270s), and all my offense is 290-300ish... eh, time to stop thinking and just play  :)
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Short answer:
    The last team you win a match with is your defensive team, up to a point..

Long answer:
    To curtail "cupcakes" (teams with loaner, and 1* characters), a limit was put on "how low" you can win with and still be seen by your MMR range. No-one knows the exact details, but if you're using championed 4s as your "A team", it's a safe bet that ANY champed 4s you win with last will be your defensive team.

• Waddles_Pines
    Thanks Alaeth.  Just when I learned what a cupcake was, they took them away.  Now I just want to one day see firsthand what a grill is  o:)

• PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    It's mostly the 5* tier that is tough to change.  If you have team of 450 champed 5s and switch to 479 boosted champed 4s.....the 5s will stay out on defense.