I can rescue 3 out of these 5

Options
froggerjohn
froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
Here's my current roster:
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/froggerjohn/revisions/33

I can get 3 open slots, and these are the covers I have to choose from.

3* Daken           Purple Black
3* Hawkguy      Blue
3* Deadpool      Black
3* Blade            Black
3* Rocket&Groot Yellow
3* Doc Doom     Purple black

I'm leaning towards the first three. Daken and Hawkguy both for true healing, and because I have champed 2*s to feed them with.

Then I figure Deadpool so I can start accumulating DP points.

Opinions welcome, and thanks.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sounds like solid reasoning to me. The sad thing is Blade and Grocket are also quite good, so it's a tough choice to make.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Actually, the first five.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would say Hawkguy, Deadpool and R&G.

Daken has true healing, yes, but it's conditional on leaving blue on the board, which is the color of his only active power, and the rest of his abilities are meh without someone to synergize with.

In the meantime, R&G true heals a LOT with a shockingly easy condition (match yellow), plus he's got one of the best nukes and the strongest strike tiles for 3* land. Level him up and with a little bit of board control he can lead you to victory in match after match without using health packs.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Cool, looks like I have time to save R&G too. Daken is the furthest out, and especially with the unexpected HP gift from the missing Wakanda points, I should definitely get another slot by then.

I questioned the usefulness of R&G healing because of not kicking in until 25%. Wolverine 2* is at 50%, with a similar yellow match, and it seems barely useful in practice. Looks like the difference is that R&G scales the healing up a lot at the higher levels, which is something not apparent in-game, and thus I missed it. Many thanks for the notes, and after reviewing the wiki, that does indeed look great (albeit long-term).

Good to hear there are no governor calls for Doc Doom, who was first up on the chopping block.

Thanks again guys for all the valuable intel.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, R&G's healing gets ludicrous at 5 covers, especially if it's a Team-Up heavy board. I've had them tank more than twice their starting HP in a single Wave mission.
  • froggerjohn
    Options
    Shoot, I forgot about one more thing. I have some 2* Wolverine covers that I haven't redeemed yet on my champed 2*, because he's sitting right at the first 3* Patch award. So that's going to give me another cover that I need to save. I can push that off for several more days though, and then a full 2w before that cover expires, so that's time to get more roster space.

Patch looks like an interesting character, but one that definitely needs specific partners to counter the enemy strike generation. (Dr Doom's Purple is one of those partners, but there are better ones, so I think I'm still ok letting him go for the moment).

So many hard choices, and of course, even more covers are going to pop up in the coming days. Glad I did the VIP, but I can see I really need to focus on HP generation to make these choices easier.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I rank Patch as a top-ten 3-star. There are many ways to mitigate the enemy strike tiles he generates, or take advantage of them (Hulkbomb, anyone?) so that has never scared me. Plus, those enemy strike tiles aren't taken advantage of by goons and Patch was one of my mainstay PvE guys.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I shied away from Patch for a while, but once you get the hang of the kind of teams to use him in/against, he's amazing. As an early one that you can try even with just 2* other than him, I'd suggest pairing with Moonstone with 5 covers on her black. Save up until you can fire her black right after one of his actives, and then just go to town. Once you get really into 3* land, the possibilities get even better, and when he's boosted, he's easily usable in the right 4* team.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
       Ditto on R&G.  I would usually use R&G, IM40, and Strange in 3* land and try to make him take the big enemy hits, if I could.  Because of his healing with a yellow match,  I rarely lost him because I could usually heal him up before he was downed; and all without using a healthpack on him.  His green was also a good outlet with a decent amount of damage and board shake up as well.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch carried me through the threestar phase, he is definitely worth investing in. You can't fire off his offensive powers just willy-nilly, but he is very good when you get the hang of how to use him.
    R&G are also very good. The difference between them and 2* Wolverine is that Grocket under the right circumstances can heal almost to full with one activation of their power... And Grocket has a lot more HP than Wolverine too.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch is excellent and in the right circumstances his red power is devastating.

R&G though are as advised above also a beast with that heal and high health.