thanos purple ability block

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
why does it prevent some abilities from firing at all, yet others can fire but just don't do anything (oml black, ss blue) is it because they do other things that don't affect the board?

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Yes.   
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

It's hilarious when the opponent's OML uses his black Power when Thanos' Purple is Active. "Ha! I can't put out any strike tiles, but I can end the turn without attacking! Take THAT!"

It's less hilarious when I make the same mistake...

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I managed to have that countdown out every time the enemy team fired its Power of Attorney team-up in the Thanos node in the first sub. Cracked me up every time :)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    There seems to be code in the game to prevent firing of abilities that have no effect.  Presumably the game runs through a script for the ability, recording whether each step actually did anything.  If nothing happens, it shows an error dialog and doesn't consume the AP.  It's not perfect though, since AOE damage seems to count as successful even when there is no one to damage.

There also doesn't seem to be anything to prevent firing abilities when only the detrimental step of the ability can succeed.
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I'm always forgetting about it. Put it on the board, to prevent enemy shenanigans, and after couple turn want to fire my own power to end the match and like: "Tinnykitten! Thanos tile!". Feeling like, when you hurry up and stumble upon something.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah, it stops cold any ability that only affects the board, but so long as the ability has the potential to create an effect, it allows it to fire.  So using some of the examples above, the Silver Surfer's blue will heal Norrin but not create any charged tiles.  Since OML's black has a condition on it (if you have enough yellow, it changes Logan's powers,) even if you don't meet the condition "Infinite Power" will allow the ability to be used - the condition exists so the power doesn't block it completely.  Gambit's Red and purple, for example, only affect the board, so Thanos blocks it.

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Also abilities that simple move tiles around on the board are not affected only abilities that destroy /create /change tiles are blocked. 
    Ie cmags , loki , quake etc... board shuffle abilities are not affected 
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    i don't usually use it because thor can't destroy tiles with it active
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

It's hilarious when the opponent's OML uses his black Power when Thanos' Purple is Active. "Ha! I can't put out any strike tiles, but I can end the turn without attacking! Take THAT!"

It's less hilarious when I make the same mistake...

that's why i made this post. with animations off, if you don't pay attention 100% of the time, sometimes you miss that it's even out there.