What if......The Meta Changed.

nyck1118
nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
Topic for thought. Who do you think the meta would be in game if you removed the obvious usage toons. So no Gambit, Thanos, Strange, Grocket4, Medusa, (G4mora maybe)???

Comments

• Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    i was partial to carol, wasp, falcon
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    5* Thor, 5* Daredevil, essential /
    4* Carol, Wasp, essential / Riri, Vulture, essenial - for PVP

Whatever in PVE, based on weekly buffs
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    4-star?  Carol/Peggy/Wasp.  Five Yellow and six blue for Wasp, and your strike/protect tiles go up each turn.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bolt / DD/Thor.
  • Khartmann
    Khartmann Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    4* Carol, Wasp and Coulson were amazing before RBG was released, but I can see 4BP, Shuri and C4ge being a very strong team.

5* BP/Thanos would be back at full force, and with fast hitters like Thor, GR and even DD it would be even worse.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    X-Force Wolverine will make his return to the top!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    If you're leaving G4mora in, Vulture/G4mora/Sandman is a serious offense team with multi-color, multi-turn stuns.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Bolt / DD/Thor.
    Careful there. With Devil Dino in your signature block, it can be confusing what you mean by DD.
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    5*DocOc + 4*Carol + Red Hulk

Getting Doc his greens, and then Carol's yellow, and instant win. RHulk helps get the greens faster.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Arphaxad said:
    5*DocOc + 4*Carol + Red Hulk

Getting Doc his greens, and then Carol's yellow, and instant win. RHulk helps get the greens faster.
    That's not how Doc Oc's green works, though. You have to match it while it's at 1, not just have it count down to 0.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the 4-star level, I'm sure Vulture would be involved.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    When Peggy was introduced I thought she was going to be game-breaking with near 100% usage.  Haha.  I'm sure we would see more of her, but Carol would be the new 4* #1.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think with the Meta in 5* land of you just removed Gambit what would happen.  Would the Meta go back to Panthos?  For shield hopping yes.  But the interesting thing is for climbing DD was really picking up steam and Thor is also really strong.  I think you would see a lot more Thor/DD combos or Thor, GR, or GR, DD would start to pop up.  I think after gambit released Thanos started getting used less and less because of the health packs he causes your team.  With the new release 5* just removing gambit will keep the meta moving forward and not back
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    In this season's shield sim I'm actually seeing a lot less Grocket/Gamora/Medusa. They're still there, but they're not as ubiquitous as they've been in the past. Medusa's still there, just on other teams. I see a lot of Carol/Grocket/Rhulk teams, so I know that counter is starting to pick up quite a bit of steam, and I still see quite a few Deadpool/Thing combos. This tells me there's still a lot of G/G/M out there, but things are balancing out with effective counters.

I think the 4-star player base overall has grown weary of the G/G/M meta and may be slowly shifting away from it out of boredom. I know that I never use them in the sim and prefer teams that are more effective on defense.

So to answer the OPs question... 'What if...?' might be happening, albeit slowly. Stellar releases like Vulture and Rogue have definitely moved the needle.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:

So to answer the OPs question... 'What if...?' might be happening, albeit slowly. Stellar releases like Vulture and Rogue have definitely moved the needle.
    It's "density of advanced to effective levels" that creates the meta. 

For the majority of players, "slowly" describes the best rate of advancement of their 4* champs, right?

Expecting a new release to move the needle at all before 30+ covers roll in to compete with well-covered and well-advanced champs is not a reasonable expectation to my mind... The fact that Rogue is starting to shift the meta 4 months after her release instead of the classically-complained-of 12 months is telling us somewhat good things about the post-vaulting differential pull rate system.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,050 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peggy/Rogue/Vulture