PVP Match up and Character lvl

DoubleM
DoubleM Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
Hi everybody,

I wasn't able to find an existing thread regarding this Question, so sorry if this is a repost.
When i started playing MPQ a few months ago i read everywhere that PVP matches are determined by the lvl of your most powerful characters and therefore it does not make sense to have 5* champs with one cover if the other champs are 2* or similar.

Yet i find myself wondering how this actually matters in a normal PVP Event.
At the end of the day you need to fight the players in your bracket, no matter your champion level. The champion lvl of my enemies seems to be much more influenced by my current rank in the event than by the lvl of my strongest champions.
Is this just confirmation bias or does the lvl of champions not really matter as much as i was told?

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Welcome!

You misunderstand a little bit, you fight everyone in your time slice. Your bracket is only a 500-player subset of those ppl to give sets of placement rewards.

it does very much matter if you over-level under-covered 5s, you will be pitched against 4* characters who are far more powerful. This is an issue for the qs you can find, but more importantly the ppl who can find you.

Basically it paints a big target on your back.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    The players you see will be impacted by your roster and your score, and who is unshielded obvs.
  • DoubleM
    DoubleM Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    (...)you fight everyone in your time slice (...)

(...) This is an issue for the qs you can find, but more importantly the ppl who can find you.
    Ah, thanks. I guess this was the rather important part that i was missing :)
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are alot of idiosyncracies in how the game matches up opponents.  Alot of players have logged enough time and matches that its "decenty" understood how the game makes matches and players take advantage of the algorithm to either attract or avoid matches against certain tiers of rosters.

It just boils down to the fact that the bigger the difference between your best and worst chars the harder it becomes for the AI to match up similar opponents.

Don't over think it though.  What ever benefit you might get from softcapping a roster you more than give up in terms of flexibility and competing for the best prizes.  Ultimately real roster growth comes from your farm of champion levels and how efficiently you can apply the resources you earn.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Lest put it this way if you have all the 3's covered you can get away with 1 maxed 5 if you have all the 4's covered you can get away with 2.  But if you do not wait until those conditions are met you will be outgunned big time in pvp.  Save your 5 but do not put levels into them until your roster can support the jump in difficulty you will see.