Difficulty levels

vernr1
vernr1 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
Got to say I hate how higher rounds/more difficult fights means the computer makes itself more chain reactions and match5’s.

Just doesn’t seem like a legit mechanic for increasing difficulty :(

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the ridiculous scaling.

I have Thanos, Gambit and Daredevil as my 5*s and they're going up against level 430 enemies with 40-60K health. And that wouldn't be so bad were it not for the fact that one of the characters I have to bring is likely a 3*.

Boss fight scaling has been dumb for a looooong long time. It's really highlighted in Civil War where we switch sides and stomp on the puny level 50 Captain America only to get murdered by his immense team of Thanos destroying 3*s with huge health bars to chew through.
  • dragonreader
    dragonreader Posts: 89 Match Maker
    The funny thing is I find the boss mission is kinda easy while the side events are tough, but for the most part doable.

I'm not doing great but I'm having fun with civil war.  That's what's important

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    The funny thing is I find the boss mission is kinda easy while the side events are tough, but for the most part doable.

I'm not doing great but I'm having fun with civil war.  That's what's important

This always ends up being the case by the end.  Most of the bosses at full scaling are relatively easy with a strong enough roster (boss rush aside) but the side nodes are the real pain.
  • vernr1
    vernr1 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    More like.. when playing a low tier fight I will almost always get a match 4 or 5 within first two rounds (fights rarely go more than 4).. when playing higher tier I Will be super lucky to get a single match 5 over the course of 5-10 rounds.. AI will always create itself at least one, usually so it can charge its powers.

Been playing this long enough to see this is not ‘random’, it’s obviously a planned mechanic.. such a cheap one though.. 2years ago things were not the same, these are recent changes that have been made to the game.

This of course would make one think, take Jean Grey, let the AI nuke itself.. but adding her to your team pretty much means the computer will NOT make a single match5... i can’t say that I have seen her power ever fire for me.. that being said, she’s a great addition to prevent the AI from creating so many matches.. should be one of her passive abilities “causes the opponent to create less match5 opportunities”.... LOL
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    vernr1 said:
    More like.. when playing a low tier fight I will almost always get a match 4 or 5 within first two rounds (fights rarely go more than 4).. when playing higher tier I Will be super lucky to get a single match 5 over the course of 5-10 rounds.. AI will always create itself at least one, usually so it can charge its powers.

Been playing this long enough to see this is not ‘random’, it’s obviously a planned mechanic.. such a cheap one though.. 2years ago things were not the same, these are recent changes that have been made to the game.

This of course would make one think, take Jean Grey, let the AI nuke itself.. but adding her to your team pretty much means the computer will NOT make a single match5... i can’t say that I have seen her power ever fire for me.. that being said, she’s a great addition to prevent the AI from creating so many matches.. should be one of her passive abilities “causes the opponent to create less match5 opportunities”.... LOL

If you believe that, then you should record your session. Get a spreadsheet sorted and count how many times certain events would happen.

Watch through once and count the 4-matches for each player. Then the 5 matches. Then maybe count how frequent cascades were for each player and how many matches were generated for each.

Do this for a while, maybe a couple of weeks to a month. You might surprise yourself.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    vernr1 said:

I feel that maybe you're not strategizing enough for your Teen Jean. Maybe you're hogging all of the match 5's so the enemy team has less chances to make one. A nice beautiful match 5 in the middle of the board? Take the match 3 in the top corner that won't set off a cascade which could mess up the match 5. Maybe you need to take more time to set up your board to essentially trap your opponent into making a cascade which will create a match 5 like doing a match 3 under another match which would set up a match 5 on the next turn. I champed Teen Jean about a week or two after the first Apocalypse event, haven't even played with her that much and I've already seen the computer make quite a few match 5s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    vernr1 said:

If you believe that, then you should record your session. Get a spreadsheet sorted and count how many times certain events would happen.

Watch through once and count the 4-matches for each player. Then the 5 matches. Then maybe count how frequent cascades were for each player and how many matches were generated for each.

Do this for a while, maybe a couple of weeks to a month. You might surprise yourself.
    But that sounds like, like, a whole lot of work. Where's the fun in that?
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    vernr1 said:

If you’ve been playing that long you’d realise that the AI will basically always take a match-4 but avoid a match-5 unless it can’t (ie unless it can’t take a match-4 without triggering a match-5). 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    The AI will make a straight line 5* match. I've never seen it do a 90 degree angle one, or a T-shaped one on purpose
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    No, AI only makes straight match 5s.  One of many happy flaws.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    If it is in a situation like

x x r x x x
    x x r x x x
    r r x r x x
    x x r x x

The AI makes the "T" match-5 when it's trying to make that match-4
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    kk3thess said:
    If it is in a situation like

x x r x x x
    x x r x x x
    r r x r x x
    x x r x x

The AI makes the "T" match-5 when it's trying to make that match-4
    Not always. It will sometime match from the opposite side and take the available match-4 that is not a match-5