Seasons are outdated - Let's get rid of them!

Options
Ducky
Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
Now hear me out, I'm not just advocating getting rid of them and the rewards that go with them. What I'd propose is that the rewards that one generally earns from progression be filtered into the existing progression scheme . This would also help close up that gap in rewards between 900 and 1200.  The placement rewards would be a bit harder to figure out, but I feel like if you just threw in an extra heroic token (or two or 3) for placement rewards, it would balance out overall. Some may lose out a little bit, but overall I think more tokens would go out.

But what about Shield Simulator you ask? Keep it as is, but the points only apply to its progression, nothing else.   This gives us an outlet to play something at our own leisure that isn't tied to anything, kinda like Lightning rounds minus the placement rewards. It would also free up people to actually experiment with teams as the points won't really matter after you've hit your targeted progression.

Another benefit to getting rid of seasons is that it allows for more opportunities for the devs to toy around with PvP and test out things without angering the player-base for messing up their seasons. In turn, maybe we could get quicker turn around times on PvP changes and get some freshness breathed into an otherwise stale game mode.

Lastly, it would free up commanders from the stress of having to deal with season end stuff and the rush during the off-season to fill any holes in their rosters. It would also allow players to more freely move from one alliance to another without feeling like they are leaving someone high and dry due to recruiting being terribly hard during the season as opposed to the off-season. 

So what say ye?

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Very interesting, but 2 downsides:
    - i fear the “opportuniteit for devs to toy around”. I would suggest to do this besides a season first instead.
    - i wouldnt promote anything that makes alliance hopping easier...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As long as the rewards balance out overall, I wouldn't really mind. I'm a 575-and-out pvp player in a casual alliance, so none of those problems you described at the end there really apply to how we play. What I would worry about given my play style:
    I usually play a given PVP to 575 for the 10cp, and only recently have I been able to realistically attempt getting to 900 for the 4* cover or to the top of simulator for that 4* cover. I completely disregard personal or alliance placement because I'm not interested in chasing it at all. Playing every event to 575-ish means that I typically get to the heroic 10-pack in a season somewhere at the half to 3/4 season mark. If you do away with the season, does that 10-pack get placed at the top end of progression on some specific PVP event, and now I definitely can't get it? Does it become the top of the Simulator, which is attainable perhaps? Or does it just go away and get replaced by loose single tokens throughout, which reduces my odds of getting bonus heroes off of it? How often do you refresh the simulator if there is no season attached to it?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What's going to happen to my list of guaranteed prizes:

Heroic 10-pack, 300 hero points, 1 Elite token, 1 Heroic token, 5000 iso8, 25 CP, 3 colour covers of 3*

Not many normal players can hit 900 - 1200 points in PvP, especially those not in 4* or 5* land.

As for the top players, what's going to happen to top players' 10-pack x 1- 5 for 1st to 50th placement? 

If you can solve how to solve the distribution of the list of guaranteed prizes from progression and top players' placement rewards of 1 to 5 Heroic 10 packs, then the first big hurdle to removing season from MPQ can be done.

Imagine the top placement for PvP is 3 to 5 x Heroic 10 packs, I wonder if players in the same alliances would sacrifice themselves for other players?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like seasons myself and want them to stay.  I want them to add seasons to PvE also.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll said:
    I want them to add seasons to PvE also.
    This. Right. Here.