I championed 4* Gamora, and instantly regretted it

Options
heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
So I champed Gamora....and now I have to live with that...is there any way to salvage this situation?  What's her best build and who does she pair with?

Comments

• marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm assuming you were a 3* player before? Not much you can do to your PvP matchups from now on. Best thing is focusing on champing another good 4*.

She's pretty good. Most people run her 3/5/5, since there are often better red users. As for pairings, Rocket and Root 4* is by far the best: usually the damage you get from strikes will take out one enemy in the first 2-5 matches, then she can use her cheap stun to buy you enough time to do the other two. It's by far the most used PvE combo at the moment and extremely viable in PvP even unboosted. 

But for the sake of completion and who you'd champ afterwards, her other great pairings are Medusa (for double dipping strike tiles), Star Lord (for even cheaper stun), Sandman (for rainbow coverage & more stuns).

In the meantime, on the 3* realm: Iron Fist (for double dipping strike tiles, accelerating black), Kamala Khan (rainbow coverage, spamming heals), Thanos (for faster PvE clearing).

Otherwise any stuns will be great for you and here TUs can help: mbw 1*, scarlet witch 3* etc
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    So I champed Gamora....and now I have to live with that...is there any way to salvage this situation?  What's her best build and who does she pair with?
    Is she your first 4* champ?  If not, I don’t understand the problem. I think we’ll need more context.  Why are you regretting the choice to champ her?

If she is your first 4* champ, she’s definately not a bad one. I’d make 4* Grocket your bonus hero and you will be shocked at how much faster your clears are and how for you can climb with just those two. 

Until then I’d pair her with IM40/Fist and just go to work with both of them fueling all three of her powers (full rainbow too!). Fist’s Black can remove Purple from the board to help proc the Deadliest Woman Insta Kill as a bonus. 

Run her 3/5/5 for sure.
  • DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    She's on the top half of the power levels for 4* characters, to be sure. If she is boosted then 5 in red 3 in black, but otherwise reverse that.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I run her 5/3/5. Black can be unreliable. If the enemy makes purple tiles or you have a purple starved board you might not get full potential out of it. Red is kinda weak on its first hit, but if you protect the countdown it does a good amount of damage overall.
    I don't know why you regret it, getting a new 4* champ is my favorite thing.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    her stun is awesome, she has great passives, and her red is very strong. you could have done much worse
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    her stun is awesome, she has great passives, and her red is very strong. you could have done much worse
    Don’t forget her champ rewards include 5* Thanos.  

I actually like her black ability.  Use it once and you end up doing 5-10k damage per turn from just making matches.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Straycat said:
    I run her 5/3/5. Black can be unreliable. If the enemy makes purple tiles or you have a purple starved board you might not get full potential out of it. Red is kinda weak on its first hit, but if you protect the countdown it does a good amount of damage overall.
    I don't know why you regret it, getting a new 4* champ is my favorite thing.
    Purple starved board gives you the most potential out of it as you are more likely to trigger insta kill. 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't regret Champing any of my characters. If I did regret one, it wouldn't be Gamora.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    heybub said:
    Is she your first 4* champ?  If not, I don’t understand the problem. I think we’ll need more context.  Why are you regretting the choice to champ her?

If she is your first 4* champ, she’s definately not a bad one. I’d make 4* Grocket your bonus hero and you will be shocked at how much faster your clears are and how for you can climb with just those two. 

Until then I’d pair her with IM40/Fist and just go to work with both of them fueling all three of her powers (full rainbow too!). Fist’s Black can remove Purple from the board to help proc the Deadliest Woman Insta Kill as a bonus. 

Run her 3/5/5 for sure.
    She was my first and I didn’t regret it at all. I champed C&D the next day so I could feed her black at least.

I will also second the Grocket need. I champed him recently and my PVE times are much quicker as well as the ability to hit 900 in PvP with limited shield use. 
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So I have like 11 4* champs, so she's not my first. I  have Peggy, Medusa, Nova, Carol, Coulson, IM, XFW, cyclops, riri, deadpool, vulture.  I just felt like I spent 300k iso on her, and she's not that great.  I also have Spider Woman, Falcap, and Devil Dinosaur maxed covered, but never champed them.  I'm also a PVE player.

I feel like she is a gimmick player, as I seem to always try to get her insta kill, instead of really focusing on the match.  Plus, she doesn't have any big damage covers (as you've said, her red is like meh).

Based on your feedback and looking at her, maybe I've been thinking about her wrong.  She does pump out strong strikes and stuns, so using her as a support character, she'd be pretty good.  I have Grocket at 10 covers, and he's my bonus hero, so maybe she'll get even better when he's champed.

Thanks, guys, maybe I don't regret it quite so much anymore...
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    heybub said:
    So I have like 11 4* champs, so she's not my first. I  have Peggy, Medusa, Nova, Carol, Coulson, IM, XFW, cyclops, riri, deadpool, vulture.  I just felt like I spent 300k iso on her, and she's not that great.  I also have Spider Woman, Falcap, and Devil Dinosaur maxed covered, but never champed them.  I'm also a PVE player.

I feel like she is a gimmick player, as I seem to always try to get her insta kill, instead of really focusing on the match.  Plus, she doesn't have any big damage covers (as you've said, her red is like meh).

Based on your feedback and looking at her, maybe I've been thinking about her wrong.  She does pump out strong strikes and stuns, so using her as a support character, she'd be pretty good.  I have Grocket at 10 covers, and he's my bonus hero, so maybe she'll get even better when he's champed.

An instant kill is nice but most of us aren't gunning for it. Hell, most of the times I've got it were by accident on an opponent I've already heavily damaged.

The instant kill is a happy accident. That's all it is. Her special tile production is great. And that stun is great as well. She's not the best 4*, but there's a reason a lot of people have her in the top 15, if not top 10.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah, for me Gamora's best Powers is her blue - being able to stun two opponents for 6 blue AP is very useful. Oh, and then she starts pumping out special tiles too! It's very fun to pair her with 5* Daredevil who also likes stunned opponents... And obviously Grocket is a great one to pair with her.

The only time I Went for the instakill was in her Crash of the Titans, but I only had 3 covers at that time and one happened to be black. Taking out Thanos that way was immensely satisfying, but as mentioned it's just a neat bonus and not something to build around.

• Daredevil217
    Options
    heybub said:

Okay this helps me understand your frustration. You don’t have a lot of champs but of the ones you do have, you nabbed most if not all the top tier red/blue users (Riri, Cyke, Peggy) as well as Black (Carol, Vulture). So it’s hard for you to find a place for her and she feels underwhelming. 

Gamora is more of a “whole is greater than the sum of its parts” character, and she shines on a team rather than alone. Luckily you have Medusa. And are three Grocket covers away from the best 4* team in the game. 

Aside from Peggy’s very expensive Blue, Gamora is the only quick stun you have in the tier. That will be a life saver when dealing with healers or a board shaker with two goons. I promise you won’t regret her after playing around a bit. 
  • DieMyDarling
    DieMyDarling Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Put her up with Carol and Coulson and you will see a beatdown, no insta-kill required. 6 blue AP and you've basically already won.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Her red is actually quite formidable. It does a ton of back-end damage. Pick the highest health enemy, cast her red, and then put them in the back and let them die.

Her black is under-appreciated as a special tile producer because of all the passive generators at the 4-star tier, but is a very solid power. Her blue is the 3rd best stun in the game (behind only IM40 and Peggy).
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Her red is actually quite formidable. It does a ton of back-end damage. Pick the highest health enemy, cast her red, and then put them in the back and let them die.

Her black is under-appreciated as a special tile producer because of all the passive generators at the 4-star tier, but is a very solid power. Her blue is the 3rd best stun in the game (behind only IM40 and Peggy).
    Iron Man's self stun is the best in the game?

I like Iceman best personally.  It's quick, lasts long, and for another 6 you can choose to stun again or punch their lights out.  Plus he doesn't need a battery like Vulture or Iron Man to get rolling.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Daredevil217 said:

Absolutely. Sure, he stuns himself, but its still the best stun in the game. How many other stuns give you that much free AP?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    There are ways to maximize Deadliest Woman if you do choose to try for the insta-kill. If you can get enough blue, you can multi-turn stun the enemy team pretty readily, so the only incoming tiles from matches are your own.

You then need to make sure all your purples are covered in specials, so tile spammers like G4mora herself, Mohawk Storm, or even Spid3r-Man and 2* Bullseye can help here. Alternatives to adding a tile spammer would be to add somebody like Kamala Khan who can just change the color in bulk of a certain color tile to anything else.

The next step is to manage incoming purples from matches. you can minimize yourself to a match-3 after you have every purple covered and hope for the best, or you can go for one of the characters who can instantly end a turn. Old Man Logan and Squirrel Girl can do this without making matches, Hood does it with massive board shake so he probably isn't a good choice. So I don't know that it's worth building a team to bank on Deadliest Woman, but it's fun when it works.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Daredevil217 said:

Absolutely. Sure, he stuns himself, but its still the best stun in the game. How many other stuns give you that much free AP?
    If simply being stunned gave him AP the way Vulture being airborne gives you AP, I'd agree lol.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    *Moving this over to Roster and Level Help as it is an advice thread*