Favorite Ixalan Pull?

2»

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Verdant Sun's Avatar. It's especially amazing with token generators but it goes in every green deck no question. 
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    My favorite pull, no doubt, is Vraska's Contempt. Perfect to deal with those pesky Embalms, Relentless Dead, a few other pesky stuffs. Admittedly it's not as powerful as Doomfall, but still the best Ixalan pull I have so far.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    nest robber.  Now my omniloop deck that only kills you with nest robber is complete.  I'm just gonna set this little deck free in the next 100 events and see how the smarter AI runs it.
  • timthes
    timthes Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Sanguine Bond, my third MP I pulled, actually a fun one starts with 6 shields, so not half bad.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    It’s a tough call for me.

Three favs:
    Carnage Tyrant
    Kopala, Wardennof Waves
    Vraska’s Contempt

I got really lucky when I bought Gishath - I pulled the Tyrant in one of the boosters that came with it. Was happier about the Tyrant. ^^
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vraska's Contempt as has been mentioned is amazing.

Another I've found to be incredibly useful is Deadeye Tracker. His explore ability is generally pretty easy to activate, and can pull those pesky embalm/eternalize/aftermath cards out of your opponent's graveyard into exile. I've found this is especially effective in shutting down the decks that rely heavily on Reason//Believe as their way of pulling the one creature they have in the deck onto the field.

After everything in the Amonkhet sets, this game needed some solid graveyard hate, and this card is excellent at providing it. Definitely an auto include in most black decks for me now.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    one of my faves so far by far as cheap as final reward and legal plus in my im, baral zombie spell deck with bolas i can keep most ereybody down for the count, another one is arcane adaption is another one i look forward finding a home for.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    @Froggy What about Carnage Tyrant excites you? I got it too, but it seems horribly overcosted to me, and its ability is mostly a disadvantage I think?

I like the white Dinosaur that kills non-dinosaurs. Seems good to play in a control deck with only that or maybe one or two other creatures.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
       tfg76 said:
     it seems horribly overcosted to me, and its ability is mostly a disadvantage I think?

His ability means his cost cant be enhanced (sphynx tutelage for example) or drained by cards or abilities (kiora) ... Without being amazing it can be pretty usefull.  I also imagine you can keep it filled as the first card of your hand to avoid draining for your whole hand. 
        Its also an hexproof fat creature, wich is quite powerful by itself (not worth a Gaia's revenge in term of power, but this one has trample).
       I dont own it myself so you might be more likely to test the antidrain thing though.

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bil said:
       tfg76 said:
     it seems horribly overcosted to me, and its ability is mostly a disadvantage I think?

His ability means his cost cant be enhanced (sphynx tutelage for example) or drained by cards or abilities (kiora) ... Without being amazing it can be pretty usefull.  I also imagine you can keep it filled as the first card of your hand to avoid draining for your whole hand. 
        Its also an hexproof fat creature, wich is quite powerful by itself (not worth a Gaia's revenge in term of power, but this one has trample).
       I dont own it myself so you might be more likely to test the antidrain thing though.

I think Carnage Titan is a really good card.  Just not as good as GR (which is arguably the best creature in the game).  

Anyway, I suspect the part about refuting mana drain for the rest of your hand is not true.  I suspect it will just drain from the next card in your hand. I will try to find the opportunity to test this out.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    I was mostly thinking about the cards that explicitly talk about draining the first card of the hand ... I must admit my words were certainly a bit confusing as many cards drain mana regardless to the position in your hand.  ;)
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    babar3355 said:
    I think Carnage Titan is a really good card.  Just not as good as GR (which is arguably the best creature in the game).  

Anyway, I suspect the part about refuting mana drain for the rest of your hand is not true.  I suspect it will just drain from the next card in your hand. I will try to find the opportunity to test this out.
    I've only run into an opponent with it in hand once that I noticed while running a deck where it would matter.  I'm pretty sure that drain occurs from the second card on down.  But I wouldn't necessarily trust my memory on that either.

As Bil implied, it would indeed prevent drain/raises that specify first card in the effect (Tutelage and such included).  But not everything specifies first card explicitly.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    babar3355 said:
    Bil said:
       tfg76 said:

Someone in my coalition tested this out. Kiora's ability, for example, will just drain mana from the next card in your hand and leave Carnage Titan alone.