To 5* or not to 5*

marshall
marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
Hi guys,

I've finally fully covered Gambit and Thor and also have Spidey, Black Bolt and Phoenix ready to to champ. I also have a cover each on the vine for Gambit and Thor.

I'm only missing about 8 less relevant 4* to champ and most of my 4* are around 300.

Is it worth moving? Am I going to be stuck playing with these two characters for every event both on PvE (for speed) and PvP (so 5 stars don't eat my characters alive)?

I quite like the variety of the 4* game as I'm forced to use different boosted characters every week on PvP.

What do you think?

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVE wise, you can still play with your 4*'s if you'd like as long as you're not in a hurry (5*'s speed clears significantly)

PVP wise, you'll basically use your 5*'s every match because you'll face dual 5*'s 99% of the time, and for now you basically need to use Gambit all the time which is incredibly boring... 

I have made the jump recently and dont really regret it. PVP with Gambit everywhere is kind of a chore though, hopefully that situation resolves itself down the line.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel you’re in a better position than I am but we’re in a similar place (Gambit/DD maxed, Thor at 12). I have 10 unchamped 4s currently. 

I really want to catch up with my 4s and hit that wonderful post-iso place I keep hearing about before thinking about leveling up my 5s. When I do so I’ll probably do so evenly. I too had a DD and Gambit on the vine. I thought about it but a single champ level wasn’t a strong enough pull for me to take the leap. The difference between a 450 and a 451 is negligible. So I just rostered the dupes and didn’t look back. 

For PvP, i feel you have one of two options: 1) stay in 4* land and see Medusa/R4G/Gamora or some variant everywhere.
    I feel I’m correcting this misconception a lot. Yes in shield they pop up a lot. But that’s it. Every single PVP event beyond that I don’t ever see them unless boosted, though as a 4* player I’m sure the OP knows this. And even in Sim I hopped in today to test out my new Chavez and only fought RnGdusa once- though I only climbed to 650 before quitting. Still that’s over a quarter of the way to max. Once you have a large stable of 4s you rarely see them in regular PVP and they are super easily disposed of- their dominance is grossly overstated. It’s not like Gambit at all. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards

For PvP, i feel you have one of two options: 1) stay in 4* land and see Medusa/R4G/Gamora or some variant everywhere.
    I feel I’m correcting this misconception a lot. Yes in shield they pop up a lot. But that’s it. Every single PVP event beyond that I don’t ever see them unless boosted, though as a 4* player I’m sure the OP knows this. And even in Sim I hopped in today to test out my new Chavez and only fought RnGdusa once- though I only climbed to 650 before quitting. Still that’s over a quarter of the way to max. Once you have a large stable of 4s you rarely see them in regular PVP and they are super easily disposed of- their dominance is grossly overstated. It’s not like Gambit at all. 
    Oops should have clarified I meant in SHIELD sim. In individual PvP events you're very unlikely to see those three unless they're boosted. But yes, I agree with your point that it might be an overexaggeration. For myself in 5* land, I definitely see my fair share of Gambits, but I see an equal number of OML, Phoenix, Spidey, DD, Thor, Surfer, Thanos, Panther, Strange, and occassionally mid-tier 5* like Natasha, IM46, and Steve. The 4* meta is definitely not the R4Gamdusa cesspool it seems to be; likewise 5* meta isn't totally the Gambit cesspool it seems to be either.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

It's not a bad set of fivestars to start with. There's Gambolt, of course, but Thor is also a very good partner for Gambit and Spiderman can be a huge annoyance (it is Peter Parker and not Black Suit right?). I wouldn't partner Phoenix with Gambit, but she's not bad by any stretch even though her main value is her Purple these Days. She and Thor might work decently together.

Bottom line: If you feel the fourstar tier has Little left to offer you you can move on to the fivestar tier with confidence. Fivestar play is fun too, but as with any new tier it is a bit repetitive at first when you just have a few options to play with, but once you get more fivestars covered things get more and more fun. :)

• marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    @Quebbster Yes, peter Parker.

@Daredevil217 It's also a fair point that a single champ level wouldn't matter much. Could ease my way in by softcapping and then taking a move once I got enough to champ 3-4 5* at once.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    marshall said:
    @Quebbster Yes, peter Parker.

@Daredevil217 It's also a fair point that a single champ level wouldn't matter much. Could ease my way in by softcapping and then taking a move once I got enough to champ 3-4 5* at once.
    Selling your 5* covers would be a real waste though...
    you should do the big jump imo :smile:
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like you're in a great spot to jump in to me.  It's not as bad as it sounds, you have to think a little differently and you will end up using your 5* characters 90% of the time or more.  However it comes with much fast PvE, easier rewards, easier to climb in PvP.  

So in the end depends on your goal.  If your goal is to play with a variety of characters and you don't care about rewards or speed, stay where you are, otherwise now is the time.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    In the last month I have made the jump with Thor, Daredevil and yesterday champed my Gambit. It make PVE super fast. Yes it is a little annoying to only face champed fives (read Gambit) in PVP and as such you only use your five stars. But I’ve found it makes it more enjoyable as well. But I’m only a month in so maybe that will soon fade. 

I’d vote to make the move. 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'd also vote, make the move.  But, set your expectations because it's not intuitive, the game does not get easier the stronger your roster.  You're in a good place with Gambit and Thor, don't let those covers go to waste.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    I jumped myself recently. I have gambit/hawkeye/strange/thanos

It's repetitive. I use gambit/hawkeye every fight in PvP. I use Strange in every fight in PvE.

That said, I can climb to 900 in PvP without shielding. PvE is faster than ever. So I'm champing my remaining 4* faster now. Angel looks to be next 5* I will cover. RNGesus decided to skip thor, he's the worst.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018

Oops should have clarified I meant in SHIELD sim. In individual PvP events you're very unlikely to see those three unless they're boosted. But yes, I agree with your point that it might be an overexaggeration. For myself in 5* land, I definitely see my fair share of Gambits, but I see an equal number of OML, Phoenix, Spidey, DD, Thor, Surfer, Thanos, Panther, Strange, and occassionally mid-tier 5* like Natasha, IM46, and Steve. The 4* meta is definitely not the R4Gamdusa cesspool it seems to be; likewise 5* meta isn't totally the Gambit cesspool it seems to be either.

No one makes roster decisions based on Sim. Let's stop pretending like Sim defines the 4* meta - weekly boosted characters define the 4* meta.

@marshall, make the plunge. Gambit/Thor is all you need to easily climb to 1200 in PvP, and America/Thor will crush PvE - almost as fast as Thanos. If you don't want to play competitively you are always free to use some other PvE combo too.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hadronic said:
    I jumped myself recently. I have gambit/hawkeye/strange/thanos

It's repetitive. I use gambit/hawkeye every fight in PvP. I use Strange in every fight in PvE.

That said, I can climb to 900 in PvP without shielding. PvE is faster than ever. So I'm champing my remaining 4* faster now. Angel looks to be next 5* I will cover. RNGesus decided to skip thor, he's the worst.

Gambit/Thanos may be a better option for PvP, Hawkeye is not particularly intimidating. I suppose he is good enough to climb to 900 on, but with Thanos (or Strange for that matter) it shouldn't be difficult to hit 1200 in a good slice if you are willing to put a Little extra time in.

Shame about Thor though, I just champed him myself and he is awesomely fun to play.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't moved into 5* land, despite having the covers and iso to do so. And I won't be any time soon. I just have no interest at all in the repetitive nature of that PvP experience.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Once you max 2 5 you will be seeing nothing but fully covered 5 teams, so I would say you are fairly safe covering 1.  With the 5's you have you should not have too much trouble competing with the teams you will be facing so I would go for it if you have all the 4's done.  Just realize pvp is going to look very different once you do it.  So if you want it to stay about the same just do 1, the second 5 champ is the scale killer. 
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    I was in your position recently when I got a 14th cover for Thanos, with Daredevil and Gambit close behind. I champed all three. 

PVE is great, I can finish CL9 in the same time I was spending on CL7 or CL8 and I could finish CL7 or CL8 in much less time. I do kind of feel boxed in, as in it rarely makes sense to not use a 5* when clearing, but I never use all three except for the 4th/5th iteration of the 5* required node. I use America more reliably than any individual 5*

PVP has been pretty good to me, too, it's a little repetitive, I don't follow who's boosted much anymore, but it's still a good mix of teams. Now that gambit has left LL I think it will mix up a little more, as well. It's still fun, and I can climb faster and easier than I had in the past.  

As far as your characters, I have like a 10 cover Thor, and a 455 Gambit, both are a lot of fun to play and their board shaking has some good synergy.I enjoyed Thor a lot when he was the required/boosted 5* recently. I hope I can pull three more before he drops from latest legends. 

I'd recommend everyone make the jump honestly, I'm glad I did. I'm also glad I waited and didn't do it when I had Thanos and Strange max covered. I'm also really thankful that America came out.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    you have gambit, blackbolt, and thor.  that's all you need to be successful. 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

Should you champed the best players in the game? Yes

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I somehow ended up with 1 5* champ. In my experience, 5* tier is different enough from the 4* tier that it should make up for the loss of variety in the boosted list. And you are so much stronger with 5* champs that I think you will not regret making the leap.
    After 50+ 4* champs theres nothing much left for you there.