Can't use Thor (Goddess) and Thor (Gladiator) together

CNash
CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
In the current "Fight for Wakanda" event, both Thor (Goddess) and Thor (Gladiator) are boosted. However they can't be used on the same team, despite not being the same person or using the same weapon (as is the case with other versions of Thor).

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    mbaren said:
    That's not unusual, and it's not a bug.  Amadeus Cho can't be used with other Hulk covers, either.  And 4* Captain America (Falcon) can't be used with a Steve Rogers cap.
    Not true in the case of Cap, Sam(4), Steve(5/3/2) and even Peggy(4) can all be on the same team
  • CNash
    mbaren said:
    That's not unusual, and it's not a bug.  Amadeus Cho can't be used with other Hulk covers, either.  And 4* Captain America (Falcon) can't be used with a Steve Rogers cap.
    The restriction on using Cho and Banner Hulks together is also pointless and the reasoning very flimsy. It was based on a storyline from the comics, for one thing - this game is very inconsistent as to whether or not it obeys the "rules" of the comics, and it's almost never updated to take new comic developments into account anyway.

In the case of Thor, we were told when Thor (Goddess) was introduced that 2-star and 3-star Thor could not be on the same team as Goddess because they both use Mjolnir and there's only one hammer. A bit fanciful but sure, no problem. Now we have Thor (Gladiator), who does not use Mjolnir, and he nonetheless can't team up with Goddess. This is inconsistent and, quite frankly, lazy. I suspect that there's something in the game's code preventing characters with the same primary name not being able to team up, and that it's just not a high enough priority to change.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi Everyone, I can confirm this is intended functionality.

Thanks!
  • CNash
    Tombstone - may I ask why it's intended functionality? What's the reasoning behind it?
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I believe all the Thors use the same icon on their tiles so you wouldn't be able to visually tell which one 'owns' each tile. I wouldn't expect to ever use two characters that have the same icon at the same time.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    rixmith said:
    I believe all the Thors use the same icon on their tiles so you wouldn't be able to visually tell which one 'owns' each tile. I wouldn't expect to ever use two characters that have the same icon at the same time.
    Angel and Archangel work together.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    rixmith said:
    Which has to be an oversight, right? Perhaps related to the different character names. It surely can't be intended behaviour to have two versions of the same person on one team.

But I agree it would make sense for 5* Thor and 4* Thor to be able to be used together. Different people, different weapons.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    granne said:
    Bowgentle said:
    rixmith said:
    Which has to be an oversight, right? Perhaps related to the different character names. It surely can't be intended behaviour to have two versions of the same person on one team.

But I agree it would make sense for 5* Thor and 4* Thor to be able to be used together. Different people, different weapons.
    Darts.
  • SkadenFrudee
    SkadenFrudee Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    granne said:
    Bowgentle said:
    rixmith said:

Time travel, so it makes perfect sense. Mods, you can PM me my No-Prize.

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Tombstone said:
    Hi Everyone, I can confirm this is intended functionality.

Thanks!
    The series finale of Marvel's Avengers Assemble had both the "normal" Thor (not post-Ragnarok Thor) and the Jane Foster Thor.  They showed quite easily how both exist in the same universe at the same time and even had them working together.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    granne said:
    Bowgentle said:
    rixmith said:

Time travel, so it makes perfect sense. Mods, you can PM me my No-Prize.

Or when they have multiple Deadpool's on the same team when you have to fight them or 4 different wolverines in a wave node.

/good for the goose... etc...
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    rixmith said:
    Angel and Archangel do not have the same icon on their tiles.  Both are a wing, but they are slightly different.
    When you play them together, they have the same colored powers, so the 5* will always take precedence, and all the tiles will have either his icon or the 3rd team member. 

It would appear that characters having the same icon would be the easiest way for players to determine who can and cannot be used together. However, this should be what limits the developers. I don't think it would be that difficult to design a different icon for 4* Thor, or Chulk, or any of the others.
  • CNash
    Bowgentle said:
    And yet Phoenix and Jean Grey don't, because reasons. No doubt this is "working as intended" too.