February Q&A Question Submission (2/7/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Time to collect questions you'd like to have answered by the developers at Oktagon. To make it easy to collate and compile all questions, please keep them clear and concise. (Brief explanations are fine, but please no novels)

We will be closing the submission thread next week on 2/12 at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm UTC. We will then compile the questions, and send it over to Oktagon the following day, for review and answering. Once they have done that, we will format it and prepare it for posting in the forum the last week of February.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Questions:

1) Please Please Please Please bring back the mana loading spinny wheel.  Please.  I miss it so much.  Please.

2) How open will you be to tweaking cards?  A few of the spoiled Ixalan cards seem to be a bit off (ex.  a 23 mana rare spell that only drains 8 mana from the first card.  I can drain ALL the mana from the first card for 7 as a common.  Once the set comes out there will be a ton of problems to work out.

3) Will there be any new PvE events?  Not necessarily a boss fight, but some sort of PvE would be nice.

4) How will you be handling exclusive cards?  Will all be paid for, or will there be some to be won in events (progression or leaderboard)?

5) Not a question, but a comment.  Please don't kill yourselves going way overboard with the events.  I like the idea of node-specific powers and buffs, but we don't need them in EVERY event.  Sometimes its nice to just have a simple challenge.  You know, just win, or else.

(also, I might as well get this started, when is Rivals of Ixalan coming out?)
  • asm0deus
    asm0deus Posts: 73 Match Maker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Would it be possible to get a feature that would allow us to see what cards are in the deck we would be playing against? 
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Q1:  Could we get the ability to view our graveyard?
    Q2:  What basis is used to decide how expensive a card should be?  I second the earlier comment that some of this stuff looks really pricey.  Like the 20m Dino v the 23m Gaea’s Revenge.  For 3 mana the GR is nearly twice as powerful?
    Q3:  Given the focus on reinforcing, are there more ways to do it besides playing another 20m cost Dino?  

Really like the new node / event ideas you are putting forward!  Thank you for your efforts.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What are your plans for existing events? We've been playing them over and over for a year and a half now (and in the case of the Oath events almost 2 years) -- the objectives are stale, we are bored. Is there a way to spice them up a bit?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another point I've heard mentioned before has to do with rankings. We all pretty much agree that basing your ranking on color mastery is a horrible method for determining advancement, and should be scrapped. I know you very briefly touched on color mastery and future plans for how to determine individual rankings and matchmaking, but I was wondering if you could perhaps provide a bit more detail on that for this next round of Q&A. 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have a couple questions about possible events:

1) Any chance of something like a booster draft event? I.E. you make a deck from a limited pool, then play it against other players under the same restriction. Buying a Premium Pack to get in would work, or giving temporary access to a preselected pool of cards. I'd like either, the second would also be a good way to let people try out exclusives to see all the fun they can have with them.

2) What about a Practice Event to help new players? Lots of possibilities, but the main point is they can test out decks without the results affecting their Planeswalker's health. No rewards needed.
  • Matthew
    Options
    DBJones said:

2) What about a Practice Event to help new players? Lots of possibilities, but the main point is they can test out decks without the results affecting their Planeswalker's health. No rewards needed.
    I think this should actually be reframed to the following:

Question: Can we get rid of the regeneration timer on Planeswalker health? It doesn't really serve a purpose in the game's current state. When Quick Battle was still a thing, it certainly had a purpose in that it figured into how people placed in their brackets. But now, it's a complete nuisance, and really has no bearing on how the game is played in any way.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Matthew said:
    DBJones said:

I think this should actually be reframed to the following:

Question: Can we get rid of the regeneration timer on Planeswalker health? It doesn't really serve a purpose in the game's current state. When Quick Battle was still a thing, it certainly had a purpose in that it figured into how people placed in their brackets. But now, it's a complete nuisance, and really has no bearing on how the game is played in any way.
    It’s punitive to new players and annoying for everyone else.  This is a relic from gem matching games that really has no place in MTGPQ.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There were some other things that a practice event could have, but removing the timer would fix the main issue.

Also, any chance we can get an option to disable animations? They're cool and all, but slow things down a lot, especially when you have a max level Saheeli and Heart of Kiran.
  • knifelheim
    knifelheim Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are there any plans for an event with unlimited progression so players always have something to work towards? Training Grounds stops giving rewards after 4 plays, so if that's the only event available that day, there's nothing worth playing for.

Is there any chance of us being able to turn off animations for buffing and reinforcing creatures?

Will there be anything done about the statistically improbable amount of duplicates received from packs? Opening a 5 card pack with two pairs of cards in it shouldn't happen. It certainly shouldn't happen multiple times in one Premium Pack. I know that we now have booster crafting, which is great, but the sheer number of duplicates received is just bonkers.

Oh, and can we please get the shield level for supports on the actual card?! We should not have to guess at what a card will do when we play it.

Edit: after posting this I opened a pack in which 3 of the 5 cards were Riddleform. Seriously, how is that even possible? There are 190 cards in that set. 55 are uncommon. 38 are blue. 11 of those are blue uncommons. Assuming those 3 cards were somehow guaranteed to be blue uncommons, that's still a .82% chance that all three would be the exact same card(1 * 1/11 * 1/11). The chances should actually be astronomically lower as it should be 1 in 6 chance to get blue and 1 in whatever to get uncommon and then multiply all of that by .0082. It's one thing for RNG to be RNG, but this is something entirely different. This is rigged against the player. At least in Vegas you know your odds.
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DBJones said:
    I have a couple questions about possible events:

1) Any chance of something like a booster draft event? I.E. you make a deck from a limited pool, then play it against other players under the same restriction. Buying a Premium Pack to get in would work, or giving temporary access to a preselected pool of cards. I'd like either, the second would also be a good way to let people try out exclusives to see all the fun they can have with them.
    This would be extremely cool.  It is the way I most enjoy playing paper magic, if it was available here as well I would be all-in.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your latest blog post talks about pulling cards from the latest Masters set in lieu of masterpieces when they're nonexistent within a printed set. Like before, these are historically cards that are not legal within the standard environment (though exceptions occasionally exist)

Will you continue having the elite cards be playable in standard, or will these cards be changed to reflect their actual legality and be moved to only legacy legal?
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Are you only going to pick the fluffiest questions to answer, or will you choose a few that require real answers that will show that you care about the future balance of this game?
  • Matthew
    Options
    Are you only going to pick the fluffiest questions to answer, or will you choose a few that require real answers that will show that you care about the future balance of this game?
    You should check out the blog post that just went up. While it's not terribly concrete, it actually goes a long way towards trying to answer some of these less "fluffy" questions you're referencing.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Matthew said:
    You should check out the blog post that just went up. While it's not terribly concrete, it actually goes a long way towards trying to answer some of these less "fluffy" questions you're referencing.

I guess you and I read two different blog posts.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments in this thread strictly to submitting a question for Oktagon. Thank you!
  • AdriA
    AdriA Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How many sets standard will be after Rivals of Ixalan's release? Will both Aether revolt and Kaladesh rotates out?
This discussion has been closed.