Questions on 3* to 4* transition

Options
So I have finally rosters all the 3* characters (Day 265), with 39 out of 47 champed (2 more at 12 covers with the one I need coming up in DDQ) and am working on champing the rest. 

I am also slowly building my 4* inventory.  I have 38 4* characters that I have gotten either as progress rewards in PVE, champion rewards from 3* feeders, or occasionally from heroic tokens.  Most have only 1 or 2 covers but I have a few with 4 or 5 (Riri is my best at 6), but I haven't always leveled them up since I wasn't sure if it would impact the matches I face in PVP (which I don't play a lot of but want to start doing more).

So I guess I have two questions:

1.  Does leveling my 4* impact my matches?  If so do I wait until characters are sufficiently covered to level up so that I can still compete?

2.  Is it recommended to open legendary tokens to build out my 4* inventory, provided of course I have roster spots or HP?

Currently I have 2540 HP, 41 legendary tokens, and 1287 CP.  My thinking was to always keep enough HP to buy a roster slot just in case.  So I wouldn't be opening my LTs unless I had a buffer.  

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/DragonReader/

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) As long as you don't level them past your top few (five, I think is the general guess) 3*, they won't change your MMR.

2) Yeah, now is the time to start using your CP and LT. Pull until you get someone who you can't Roster or Champ, and then stop until you get the HP or ISO you need.
  • dragonreader
    dragonreader Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for the advise Alexis!  I’m looking forward to opening some of those tokens.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You might want to save your iso and not level your 4*s at all until/unless you are champing them (or if you think they are covered well enough to win their Crash). In general, there's not a lot of return on investment in doing so. 

Although there are a few exceptions, you will usually be better off using champed 3*s than undercovered 4*s. Besides, any iso that you spread out partially leveling multiple undercovered 4*s now is iso you will not have available to champ 4*s with expiring covers in the future.

YMMV, of course.

With respect to CP and LTs - do you have a plan for your pulls (all cp first, then all LTs, or vice versa, or mixed?). There are implications with respect to the number of different 5* characters you can expect to pull (and therefore how much HP you will need), and also considerations on the relative quality of the current group of "Latest" 5*s. 

Let us know how it goes! 
  • dragonreader
    Options
    Thanks for the advice MM.  I'm not leveling much these days as I am Iso-starved.  And I see you're point on my champion 3-stars generally being better than undercovered 4*.  Plus I have to admit it takes me a few tries to learn the best way to use a given character.  I get comfortable with my go-to team and am hesitant to change. 

Anyway, my current plan is to only level if I have ISO and feel like I have enough covers or if they are an essential for an event, even then it will depend on the event.  

On my CP I plan to keep that for a while since I have 40 LTs and can use those first (I opened one today and got my 4th 4* Gamora).  Definitely won't be opening any if I don't have enough HP for a roster spot in case I pull someone I don't have.  I wouldn't mind a 5* Gambit since I hear so much about him, but would be content with filling out my 4* roster.  

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Gambit is about to leave the Latest Legends tokens, he will only be in there for Another week or so. If you don't happen to have around 300 Latest Legends pulls saved up, it's no use chasing him now, sadly.

On the other hand, by the time you are ready to make the fivestar transition there will probably be Another fivestar dominating the metagame at that tier, so missing out may not be a huge deal.

• dragonreader
    Options
    Yeah, no plans to chase any 5 stars at this moment.  I'd be happy to pull all 4* for a while.  But I am assuming I'll get an odd 5 star now and then.  Was just thinking if I did pull one, Gambit wouldn't be a bad pull.  
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, no plans to chase any 5 stars at this moment.  I'd be happy to pull all 4* for a while.  But I am assuming I'll get an odd 5 star now and then.  Was just thinking if I did pull one, Gambit wouldn't be a bad pull.  
    It depends a bit. A single purple cover might be useful. Red doesn't do much damage unless you spam it, so it's unlikely to be useful. Post-rework, a Gambit with only black covers hinders you more than it helps since it locks out all red and purple powers. It does destroy some enemy AP, but the cost is high.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* Thor is fun.
  • dragonreader
    Options
    Well my two pulls were 4* Gamora and 5* Archangel.  I am trying to keep enough HP for at least one roster slot since I have a number of 3* champs that are nearing level 183 (and thus a 4* cover) so I'll probably hold off any more pulls until I get some more HP (currently have enough for 2 slots but will need one for Archangel)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2.  Is it recommended to open legendary tokens to build out my 4* inventory, provided of course I have roster spots or HP?
    Depends on your end goal. 

If you want to champ every character eventually it might be worth while to save up for 300 LTs and open from latest with the goal to 13 cover all 3 5*s before they go to classics.  I wouldn't champ them, skipping the 4* level is a bad idea, but they get much harder to get later (might also be worth trying to just get 6 and let 4* feeders eventually fill out, but that's a less tested strategy).

If your goal is to never go to 5* tier or you're in no rush, then I'd open now focusing on classics.  You'll get more total pulls and it will level your 4*s quicker (though expect to spend more HP on rostering low covered 5*s that won't do anything for you for a long time).

If you've been saving all your CP and/or LTs since launch I highly recommend the top option, even if you only do that once.  If you're even relatively close to 300 pulls Thor seems top tier and Gambit is currently absolutely top.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is no difference in odds for 4* covers between Latest and Classics, so if you're only interested in 4*s at this stage, I would encourage you to spend your CP in classics, and hang on to your LTs until there are good 5*s available in Latest. Or you can do like I've been doing, and try to roster at least 1 of each 5* so that any pull you make is going to be useful in the future, barring a >5 cover on something and just pull all the things as you get them.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lots of good advice on this thread, but I'll chime in as well.

1. Congrats on your patience. Wish I had it.
    2. Your instinct is right. Weather you pull classics or legendaries, don't pull unless you can afford what you pull. That means that you have enough ISO and/or CP that you can use what you pull within 2 weeks (I usually use 7 days to be safe and to handle my 2* farm). 
    3. With that in mind, I'd use CP on classics for now, with a vision of champing the latest 12 at a reasonable pace (they have 3x odds, so you'll get them more often than the much larger pool of those out of the latest 12). Unfortunately, Rocket will be out of latest 12 on Thursday, but there are still some very solid performers (America!, Mockingbird, Gamora, Rogue, Vulture are all extremely good, Yondu, Nico have their uses, Hulk and Nightcrawler are interesting, and Sandman is a beast boosted, and maybe Kraven won't be as bad as he looks). When you eventually run out of CP (which might take months if you only pull when you can afford to), then you can decide how to proceed. I think you want to have a reasonable 4* basis before worrying about 5*, but that's just me.

At that rate, you'll be in a world where you start seriously looking at legionaries when the three are Rider and two later and you can decide based on what the two later turn out to be. 

Oh, and you absolutely want to roster AA. While he's not fantastic, he'll be the 5* essential several times and a single cover can certainly beat SCL7, and can beat SCL8 when you have reasonable 4* champs. That's a token and 2CP almost every day.

Good luck!