**Forum Bug** Clicking on a notification or a previously read topic does NOT jump to latest post

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
So this bug pertains to the forum itself, not the game. I was noticing today that if I click on a notification or a topic that I had read previously but not commented on, the forum is no longer jumping to the most recent unread post inn that particular thread the way it used to. 

That was a very handy feature that helped me stay current on various threads. If I have to scroll around in each thread you find the most recent post, that will probably have a negative effect on my participation here. 

EDIT: Well, nevermind. Seems to be working properly now. I even tested this multiple times before making this thread to be sure I wasn't imagining things...

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OK, maybe it's selective, because it still seems to be doing this on occasion. Is anyone else noticing this happening? 

EDIT: After clicking around some more, this is definitely still an issue. I'll click a thread I've previously read but not commented on that tells me there are 7 new comments. Instead of going to the most recent unread comment, it just goes to the top of the first page (if there aren't multiple pages yet) or the top of the last page. Then it's up to me to find the comment on the page I remember reading last.

@Brigby, any idea why this is happening all the sudden? This is on the mobile platform, btw. I'm using Google Chrome browser on Android, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, if that helps. I have no idea if this is a problem with other browsers, platforms, hardware, etc.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This may or may not help the situation: I have seen on threads with multiple pages that if you click the last page number instead of the thread title it will take you to the top of that page instead of the newest thread. 
  • DarthDeVo
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This may or may not help the situation: I have seen on threads with multiple pages that if you click the last page number instead of the thread title it will take you to the top of that page instead of the newest thread. 
    What I typically do is open each thread in its own tab. So for instance, I'll have maybe a dozen tabs open, and each one is an individual thread. Normally when I do this, it automatically jumps to the most recent post, but not today. I'll read all the new posts, then close the tab and move on to the next one. This saves me from having to go into a thread, read it, come back out to the main board, select a new one, repeat ad infinitum. 

Same thing with notifications. I'll open each thread in it's own tab. If I open the forums and have, say 20 notifications and half of those are updates from the same thread (like the sneak peek), I'll open just the oldest one and read the new comments from that point on. But now it isn't always reliably working that I'll get taken to the most recent post. It's rather annoying. 
  • DarthDeVo
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hmmmm, I think maybe I've stumbled onto something.

If I tap on a thread or notification, NOT opening it in a new tab, it seems to behave normally, automatically going to the most recent post.

If I tap and hold to open a thread or notification in a new tab, it just takes me to the top of the most recent page. This is still unexpected behavior, different from the way it operated before. If this is an intended change, I sincerely hope you guys decide to revert back. 

EDIT: This seems to be exactly what is happening. I had exactly one notification for the February sneak peek thread. I first tapped and held on the notification to open it in a new tab, then tapped on it to be taken to the new post directly on my current tab. Doing that, it took me straight to the latest post. In the tab that I had opened separately, rather than jumping to the most recent post it was simply at the top of the last page in the thread, NOT the most recent post that was farther down the page. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @DarthDeVo So by simply tapping the thread or notification to open in the current tab, it works as expected, but once you try to open it in a new tab, that's when it brings you to the top of the first page?

Hmm that's interesting. Good detective work! I'll be sure to pass this along to the web developers to take a look at. Thanks!
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @DarthDeVo So by simply tapping the thread or notification to open in the current tab, it works as expected, but once you try to open it in a new tab, that's when it brings you to the top of the first page?

Hmm that's interesting. Good detective work! I'll be sure to pass this along to the web developers to take a look at. Thanks!
    @Brigby That's pretty much it, yeah. If the thread has more than one page and I try to open it in a new tab, it'll go to the top of the last page rather than the first page. It's almost like it's treating it as a two step process, in that it goes to the page containing the most recent comment, but then stops before actually jumping to the comment itself.

As an extra wrinkle to consider, I checked to see if the same thing is happening on my laptop once I got home, and that was behaving completely fine. Whether I clicked on a thread directly or opened the thread in a new tab, it always went to the most recent comment.

I'm not sure why the mobile version decided to go crazy all of the sudden, but it seems to be limited to the mobile platform only for me so far. And that's using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Google Chrome browser.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    It's possible then that it's simply a mobile issue, as I'm sure back-end it's setup differently from the desktop version. I've passed along all this information to the web developers, and hopefully they'll be able to take a look at it come Monday. Thanks!