Gambit with only black...

Arimis_Thorn
Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
Is an entirely useless albatross to your entire team. I keep reading about how OP he is, but mine with 2 black covers is absolutely useless when he's the required toon. I can't get him killed fast enough. 

Comments

• Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Buff gambit!
  • Stranger Dan
    Stranger Dan Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2018
    A black only build of both 3* and 5* Gambits used to be overpowered.

Nerfs happened.

Initially he only locked out his teammates' pink and red powers when he had covers for those. They nerfed the 5* by making it so the lock out happened regardless of his cover situation. This did not at all fix the problem where he can erase all of your special tiles every other turn when you face a fully covered version in pve.

I have a 5* Gambit that's 0/0/2 as well. I wasn't trying to exploit the Gambattery thing that's just what RNG gave me and it has been a real drag. Any time I go into his essential nodes I remember the promise that 5*s are supposed to be useful with just one cover and I sigh.

One of my strategies is to bring Gwenpool and make the rest of the team airborne. If Gambit is stunned or airborne his passive turns off and you can spend that pink he's been pointlessly generating on Sploits. The 1 turn airborne effect overrides stuns so it can actually be helpful for getting Iron Man from his self inflicted 2 turn stun faster after recharging to get some green for Gwenpool.

With this current PVE I had a win just bringing good black/blue/green/yellow powers as well with my champed and buffed Mordo and 3*Storm.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like it's pretty common for an under-covered required character to basically turn it into a 2v3. It might be more severe with that Gambit build, but it's not really new.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I have the exact same issue (only covers I have are black) I use Bl4de, and America. Her crits with Gambits boosted match damage will tear apart those essential nodes. And Bl4de will always have red AP to feast on. Clears we're done in 5-10 turns .
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Sounds like an artifact of a terrible design choice.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *There is already a Nerf Gambit thread and he has his official thread over in the Character Discussion forums. Let's not clutter the board up with more threads regarding similar discussions when you can use those threads instead. Thanks!*
This discussion has been closed.