Am i doing it right?

terrible_at_it
terrible_at_it Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
Level 27 at day 51 with a roster of mostly all 2* champed and trying to transition to 3* roster. Highest 3* I have is Thanos at 10 covers while my other 3*s are mostly 4-2 covers. As a f2p player, i'm starved for HP and that's the problem cause some of my 2* champs are stuck at lvl98 with available covers to push them higher BUT by lvl-ing them up i'd be getting 3* covers which is can't roster.

Ready rewards are as follows:
Thanos 3* (can't level this cover cause it's max for the colour)
The Hulk 3* (x2)
Magneto 2* (x3)
Doctor Doom 3*
Wolverine 2* (x5)
Sentry 3* (x2)
Beast 3*
Ragnarok 3*
Loki 3* (x3)
Captain Marvel 3* (x2)
Rocket & Groot 3*

What should i do? Carry on as is and collect more HP? For Thanos, Should i bite the bullet and use my CP to get the last 3 covers or sell that 1 cover? I'm also finding my 2* team rather weak too. I keep getting attacked by teams that have 5* in their team in PVP which i have no way of fighting.

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/terrible-at-it/

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you have so many covers and yet limited slots, you have to prioritise. Who do you think will help you in PvP or PvE? I was and still am in the same boat as you. I'm still throwing 3* covers away because I don't have the slots for them. I got a lot of covers from leveling up my 2* that I have to discard early in the game. Based on my memory, 3* covers that I have discarded gained from 2* are: Storm, Ragnarok, Bullseye, Black Widow and a few more. It's part and parcel of the game. You have to make a choice and make some sacrifice. Leveling up your champed 2* gives you HP. 

Skip opponents in PvP if necessary. Look for those that you can handle. Start late (24 hours or less before it ends) would be nice because there are more players for everyone to choose. Based on my experience, I can hit 725 if I start late and not more than 575 if I start early.

If you are up for Lightning Round held every Tuesday to Thursday, you can gain between 1-2 heroic tokens per lightning round, if you time it right. There's one new round every 2 hours. I leveled up and maxed champed my 2* this way.

As for Thanos, he's mainly used for PvE to take out weaker nodes. I rarely use him in PvP.  If I were you, I would sell his covers.

3* Magneto is really good. Pretty high damage. 

I leave the others to comment. Are you mainly a PvP or PvE player?
  • terrible_at_it
    Thanks for the tips. I try to do both but i would reckon that PVP gives me a better return. My ranking has been in the top ten for PVP (except for simulator). PvE on the other hand has been tough for me recently since i lvl-ed up past lvl 25. My 2*s can't keep up, especially when going against those harder nodes and i end up burning through my health packs.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you can choose SCL level for PvE. Which level are you playing now? I have about 4 or 5 champed 3* and I'm playing between SCL 4 to SCL 6 depending on the rewards and how much time I have. If you have both the 2* and 3* required and you optimal clearing, you can easily hit top 50 for placement. I think SCL 2-3 would be just right for you. Are you aware of the optimal clearing for PvE? 4+3 (24 hours sub) or 4+1+3 (48 hours sub). If you can't roster the 3* and have to sell them, wait until a few hours before they expire. What I did is to reserve 1 slot for disposable 3*, just in case the PvE requires the 3* that I have waiting in list but I'm going to sell them anyway because they have lower priority.

If you are tight for health pack, try experimenting with 2* Wolverine/2*Daken/Thanos for some of the nodes.  Both of them can recover health under the right condition. 

You can try using 2* Magneto and 2* Hawkeye as well. Set the power for 2* Hawkeye purple's to 5 and then set 2* Magneto's to 3/5/5. The strategy is to collect 9 purple ap and use Magneto's purple to create a match 5, and then 2* Hawkeye's passive will activate. That's about 2k to 3k of damage after the countdown resolves. Try if that helps.

Set only Dr Strange as your 3* bonus hero. Pray that you can get his yellow cover and your PvE will be much more easier.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

If you are relying on your twostars, you should apply all covers you have and not worry too much about lost 3* covers. Once you are no longer relying on your two-stars, you will be able to recycle them and get those champion rewards over and over and over...

Also, I strongly advise against buying Three covers with CP just to save one dying cover. Let the Thanos cover expire, more will come eventually.

If HP is a problem, I suggest you sell off Quicksilver and 3* Elektra (neither one is particularly good) and instead roster Loki and Rocket and Groot, who are both great 3* characters. Other than that, you look to be in a pretty good Place roster-wise. My next pick for rostering would probably be 3* Hulk.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

If you are relying on your twostars, you should apply all covers you have and not worry too much about lost 3* covers. Once you are no longer relying on your two-stars, you will be able to recycle them and get those champion rewards over and over and over...

This is very accurate. Lost 3-star covers from 2-star champ rewards are no big deal. Don't handicap your current go-to characters. You're starving for HP and getting 2-star champ rewards is going to become your best source of HP income. Max-champ the 2-stars you rely on to win fights and keep them, but recycle the rest of your 2-stars once max-champed and start the process over to re-earn those champ rewards. If you get a 3-star cover you can't use, its no big deal - it's the HP you're after, and eventually you'll have the roster slots where those covers aren't going to waste.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can try using 2* Magneto and 2* Hawkeye as well. Set the power for 2* Hawkeye purple's to 5 and then set 2* Magneto's to 3/5/5. The strategy is to collect 9 purple ap and use Magneto's purple to create a match 5, and then 2* Hawkeye's passive will activate. That's about 2k to 3k of damage after the countdown resolves. Try if that helps.

Set only Dr Strange as your 3* bonus hero. Pray that you can get his yellow cover and your PvE will be much more easier.

Add 2* Storm to your roster and then Mags purple additionally feeds her AOE/stun (blue).  Nasty and efficient team (except on the rare no purple boards, then it takes a while), I use it everyday to breeze through DDQ...

I would add Thanos to your bonus hero and leave it at those two.  Thanos and two cannon fodder (your 2* that you don't use) can help you clear some of the PVE nodes quickly.  Strange is great for those non-tile moving matches (ie Maggia, HAMMER, etc).  Goal is to get 5 black Thanos covers, and 5 yellow Strange covers (5 blue less of a priority, but it really is a great power). 

• abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    A couple of things, since the tactical advice above is very good.
    a. Just because you're eligible for a particular SCL level in PVE doesn't mean you should go there. a 2* transitioning roster should probably be no higher than SCL3, just like a solid 3* roster should be in SCL6 (or 7 once the levels start accumulating). 
    b. I hate to say it, but PVP performance is a mirage. The game puts you in easier brackets starting out. Until you have a fearsome roster, the majority of rewards comes from PVE with PVP as a bonus. 
    c. If you find yourself worrying about what's in your vine, then hold off opening tokens that will likely make it worse (event tokens and heroics) and just hold onto legendary tokens and CP until you're firmly in 3* land. The only real exception is for something like the 13th cover of a heavy hitter like Thanos or Strange, esp. if you have covers you can't use on the vine. If the 20CP will make a big difference in your game then spend it, otherwise wait until you start really needing 4*.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards

Have fun and good luck!
    Most important point ^^.  This game is only as complicated and frustrating as you let it be.  Have fun, enjoy the ride...
  • terrible_at_it
    Woah! Great advice, everyone!