Is it worth it to have 4* duplicates on your roster?

The title says it all. If you are on the way of getting a 4* champion and you get extra 5+ covers of one color, is it a good choice to add them to your roste on a dupe?

Thank you. 

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You mean on your way to getting a max champ 4star character? The heavier spenders like to start 4star dupes at 365 or so.
    If you mean while still in the process of building the 4star character to 13 covers.. sure, it's an early start, but if you can afford the HP, why not. Just be wary of applying the 4star covers after manually to the correct character.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    You’ll never actually play with the dupe.  It could be useful in the distant future when you max out the first one as Daiches said, or if that character gets reworked and gets an increased sale price.

Personally I wouldn’t roster a dupe in cases like that, but I would spend 120 CP or 3600 HP in the HFH store if I was 1 cover short and it would let me champ them.  
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    I guess my main question is will i ever max the first 4*? Are there players in this situation?. Only in this scenario it is worth to get a dupe, even so early. How many years (!!!) does it take (in average) to max a 4*?
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    There are many players with 370 4*.  Especially with vaulting, the group that was featured for the majority of the run (Medusa, Carol, Gamora, Coulson) are commonly found at high levels.

Especially now that they are slowly rolling out 4* > 5* feeders a dupe can have many benefits beyond just the usual champ rewards.

I would say creating dupes for toons still in the featured 12 is best as you will have higher odds of continuing to pull them.  Building dupes from the older 4s is still viable, albeit a much slower process.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess my main question is will i ever max the first 4*? Are there players in this situation?. Only in this scenario it is worth to get a dupe, even so early. How many years (!!!) does it take (in average) to max a 4*?
    It depends on how much you earn (both ingame as a FTP or RL as a spender :lol:).
    Due to vaulting and semi-vaulting it's a lot easier though to get a 370, but it still takes several months if you get maximum rewards, have a **** 5star pullrate, set BH correctly and don't buy 40 packs constantly.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we might be misunderstanding your question.

if the 4* is in this situation.

5/5/1  (i.e. non champed) and your asking if you should start a dupe.  Then no,  your well over 100 covers away from getting value out of your dupe (aside from some rare roster management issues that only affect players with double champs.)

If your champ is already past level 350 and your asking if you should start a 2nd champion,  then answers is more complicated.  If your in that boat,  your a much higher tier roster that could potential bear the costs of carrying a baby 4* farm for aquite a long time.

realistically,  expect a 4* max champ to take around a year to a year and 1/2.  A good benchmark is a charcter like mockingbird.  She was released almost 2 summers ago and I doubt many players who aren't serious buy club members have her past 34X range.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    I think we might be misunderstanding your question.

if the 4* is in this situation.

5/5/1  (i.e. non champed) and your asking if you should start a dupe.  Then no,  your well over 100 covers away from getting value out of your dupe (aside from some rare roster management issues that only affect players with double champs.)

If your champ is already past level 350 and your asking if you should start a 2nd champion,  then answers is more complicated.  If your in that boat,  your a much higher tier roster that could potential bear the costs of carrying a baby 4* farm for aquite a long time.

realistically,  expect a 4* max champ to take around a year to a year and 1/2.  A good benchmark is a charcter like mockingbird.  She was released almost 2 summers ago and I doubt many players who aren't serious buy club members have her past 34X range.
    "Two summers ago"? She was released July 2017.
  • Phumade
    Bowgentle said:

I just know it in futbol time.  She came out during the last Copa Centenario/Euro,  and last summer was wcq qualifying.  So almost 2 summers ago?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Phumade said:
    Bowgentle said:

I just know it in futbol time.  She came out during the last Copa Centenario/Euro,  and last summer was wcq qualifying.  So almost 2 summers ago?
    Lol.
    Clearly you live on alternative timelines :)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    Bowgentle said:

There's always some big football thing going on... Can't be bothered to keep track of it all.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    If you have 1/5/5 peter Parker and lv 279 vulture, what is your suggestion?

Your peter Parker will be 2/5/5 with lv 280 vulture reward. But you need 60 vulture to champion peter Parker. The other way is collecting 23 vulture and champion another vulture. You still need another 400k iso to champion peter Parker. Which one is better? 

I dont know. 
  • Phumade
    CCW1208 said:
    If you have 1/5/5 peter Parker and lv 279 vulture, what is your suggestion?

Your peter Parker will be 2/5/5 with lv 280 vulture reward. But you need 60 vulture to champion peter Parker. The other way is collecting 23 vulture and champion another vulture. You still need another 400k iso to champion peter Parker. Which one is better? 

I dont know. 
    personally I would save and see if peter parker comes to HFH for 250cp.  He's been there a few times so I don't know what color is up.

The other option is hoard cp until PP shows up in a new release 5* collection.  (If you need just 1 PP blue,  you probably need to hoard about 500-750 to have a better than avg chance.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I feel the OP's dilemma. I got 3 vultures dying on the vine. A 4* is too good imo to discard for a lousy 1000 iso. Having to dump a 5* is even more painful.
    But like others are saying, to benefit from a dupe 4* takes an enormously long time, not to mention the ISO cost involved.
    I think it's best to just bite the bullet and sell off those 4* if time runs out.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

My take: Don't stop leveling a 4* because you are worried about a 5* cover going to waste. You are essentially sacrificing all the other champion rewards for the 5* cover, and it's just not Worth it in the long run.

Sure, Selling off a fivestar cover is no fun, but is it really better to sell off several covers for a fourstar character you can actually use instead?

• MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    The only dupe 4* I have on my roster is a x/x/0 Professor X so I always have working Charlie's Angels.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Once my 3*s start reaching max-champ, I'll be starting duplicating them as I duplicate max-champed 2*s.  Max champed 4*s are so far away, I think they must be orbiting another sun.