2»

Comments

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tucsonjon said:
    During the last pvp I hit 666 and felt I needed 1  win or loss because I couldn't stop and shield @666.
    I've done the exact opposite of that, actually. Usually I will get to 725 and shield but one time I hit 666 and there was only about ten minutes left in the event, I was in a good spot for placement with a shield and my alliance was in a good spot too so I was like "Sure, I'll take the Satanic score." And one time when I was younger I bought a few groceries and it came out to $6.66 and the cashier got all freaked out and asked me if I wanted to buy a pack of gum. I said no and she acted like the store was about to be taken over by demons or something.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    shardwick said:
    Tucsonjon said:
    During the last pvp I hit 666 and felt I needed 1  win or loss because I couldn't stop and shield @666.
    I've done the exact opposite of that, actually. Usually I will get to 725 and shield but one time I hit 666 and there was only about ten minutes left in the event, I was in a good spot for placement with a shield and my alliance was in a good spot too so I was like "Sure, I'll take the Satanic score." And one time when I was younger I bought a few groceries and it came out to $6.66 and the cashier got all freaked out and asked me if I wanted to buy a pack of gum. I said no and she acted like the store was about to be taken over by demons or something.
    Back in the 90s, I bought a boxed set that included, among other things, Number of the Beast. It came to $53.34 with tax, so when I paid with 3 twenties, I got $6.66 back \m/

More on topic, we do tend to notice more things that we assign significance to. I also seem to see the numbers 404 and 1337 and 69 and 420 more often than, say, 932, because I notice them more, because there's something I associate with them.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    shardwick said:
    Tucsonjon said:
    Back in the 90s, I bought a boxed set that included, among other things, Number of the Beast. It came to $53.34 with tax, so when I paid with 3 twenties, I got $6.66 back \m/

More on topic, we do tend to notice more things that we assign significance to. I also seem to see the numbers 404 and 1337 and 69 and 420 more often than, say, 932, because I notice them more, because there's something I associate with them.
    Based on a game my brother and I used to play when we were younger I will always notice when it's 5:25pm cuz that was the time for in-game daily awards. 
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Well would you look at that, 15 CP on day 666...isn’t that nice of MPQ.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Borstock said:
    It's just something that you notice because that number has significance to you. I think it's called "Observer Bias", but I could be mixing it up with a similar term. I see 1701 and 616 in the game all the time.
    I think the term you're looking for is "Confirmation Bias" - you notice a thing, and because you're aware of it you start noticing and associating all the other times you see it, confirming your impression that it is a prevalent thing whether it actually is or not.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    It's just something that you notice because that number has significance to you. I think it's called "Observer Bias", but I could be mixing it up with a similar term. I see 1701 and 616 in the game all the time.
    I think the term you're looking for is "Confirmation Bias" - you notice a thing, and because you're aware of it you start noticing and associating all the other times you see it, confirming your impression that it is a prevalent thing whether it actually is or not.
    I looked it up to be sure and you're right. Observer bias seems less about noticing what you expect to see and more about unconscious manipulation of results so that they yield what you expect to see. It's a subtle but very important distinction.